CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)
4.65/5
World-Class
CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Imperial Stout

Canadian Breakfast Stout (CBS) is the epitome of why we launched the Backstage Series: to bring some of our most sought-after beers, which have been available primarily at the taproom or at a few select events, to a much larger audience.

Canadian Breakfast Stout is an Imperial Stout brewed with a blend of coffees and imported chocolates, then aged in spent bourbon barrels that have most recently been aging pure Michigan maple syrup.

Added by CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

#22

Ratings: 5,826 |  Reviews: 1,346

Meh. Hype ruined this beer

1.33/5  rDev -71.4%

This must be the most unbalanced beer I ever had. My fillings jumped out of my teeth because of the sweetness. No depth, just sugary maple syrup with the smell of 5-day-old coffee. Reminds me a bit of Peche Mortel on a bad day with diet sugar in it. I’ll take KBS over this overhyped stuff any day! After Darklord, Darkness and KtG, another huge overly sweet letdown from the USA. Drain pour. Hype hype hype

1.5/5  rDev -67.7%

1.51/5  rDev -67.5%

Def cooked!! And by cooked I mean way past prime. Smelled of funk and gym socks. Taste of rotten black licorice. Very disappointed in what I gave up for this beer.

2.08/5  rDev -55.3%

Licorice.

2.22/5  rDev -52.3%

Thanks to Black13 for this.

A- Black. Very little head. No lacing. 4/5

Smell- Ashy aroma but not much else. 2/5

Taste- Ashy as well. Little smoke but after that it is a bit funky. Weird taste. 2/5

Mouthfeel- Eh. Medium mouthfeel. 3/5

Overall- Not really good at all. Not interesting and too ashy for my taste. Very one sided. Drain pour. 2/5

2.7/5  rDev -41.9%

Shared with friends around a fire. I know - heresy! But I had purchased it over the holidays and wanted to share with friends, and had forgotten about it for a few months. Perhaps I should have left it shelved for longer.

Look - is very dark and thick looking pouring out into tasting cups.

Smell is very sweet, yes on the border of cloying. Maple syrup, chocolate, coffee. I thought at that point "oh no, is this like those sickly sweet holiday stouts?"

Taste is very very very sweet, I would counter and say on the wrong side of too sweet. Maple, chocolate, some hint of coffee (weak) and then hard to discern much else, but I suspect some vanilla was present to try and calm it down, but at the expense of more sweetness. Cloyingly sweet.

Mouthfeel was fine and unoffensive, but it did feel like drinking watered down syrup.

Overall, this disappointed me at the cost of $28 bottle and for a beer ranked #13 on this site. I admit I "am" some BMCer posting only my third review, and I have been swayed to the East Coast juice bomb IPAs for the last couple years, but I drink Guinness, Founders Porter, and other darks on occasion, and was expecting something more subtly balanced and much much less sweet. I may re-evaluate after exploring more stouts, but this was more like a dessert than a beer. I will say that it smelled delicious and made us all hungry for pancakes as we doused the fire with the remainder at end of night. Can't say we weren't warned, it did say "breakfast" right there on the label. Mea Culpa!

2.75/5  rDev -40.9%

2.94/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Changing my review after having this 2017 release. What happened to this beer? A beer that was once so sticky and viscous is now fizzy and thin. A sweet mess, without getting any of the advertised flavors. Coffee- nope. Maple- nope. Smell of black licorice? Never thought I'd say it, but give me KBS over this. What a disaster. Selling my other 2 bottles if anyone is interested.

2.98/5  rDev -35.9%