Founders CBS Imperial Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Founders CBS Imperial StoutFounders CBS Imperial Stout

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Canadian Breakfast Stout (CBS) is the epitome of why we launched the Backstage Series: to bring some of our most sought-after beers, which have been available primarily at the taproom or at a few select events, to a much larger audience.

Canadian Breakfast Stout is an Imperial Stout brewed with a blend of coffees and imported chocolates, then aged in spent bourbon barrels that have most recently been aging pure Michigan maple syrup.

Added by CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

Reviews: 990 | Ratings: 4,289

I visited Founders yesterday with my wife and my buddy to drink the wonderful rare beers that Founders had tapped for their annual Cellar Raid. Founders did not disappoint! The highlight of the day full of highlights was the tapping of CBS.

Look - first glance of CBS was like many many other stouts that I have enjoyed in the past. Founders served their 8 ounce pour of CBS in a snifter. The beer had a slight head on it that quickly disappeared in a minute or two.

Smell - you taste with your smell first and I knew I was in for a special treat with CBS. Coffee was the dominant note accented by the sweet maple and bourbon notes of the beer. No detection of hops whatsoever.

Taste - I'm amazed that all the flavors in CBS seem to feed off one another. I hope this makes sense but the final product ends up even better than the sum of its parts. Just an exceptionally balanced imperial stout beer with the coffee, maple syrup, bourbon and chocolate.

Feel - phenomenal aftertaste that stays with you. But it doesn't stay long because you want that next drink almost immediately. Not too heavy, not too light with a slight chew. And just carbonated enough to know it's there, but really, who cares?

Overall - this is a beer worthy of making special plans to drink. You know a beer is special when it is introduced by parading the Canadian flag around the taproom while playing the Canadian national anthem. CBS is definitely worthy of being on everyone's beer bucket list.

Smell: It's heaven in a glass huge milk chocolate and vanilla smooth bourbon with a fresh maple syrup sweetness that just makes this beer smell absolutely incredible!

Taste: Holy shit this is the best beer I have ever tasted. It tastes just like it smells huge milk chocolate vanilla and maple dominate the beer. Never gets overly sweet balanced and a smooth bourbon booziness rounds Everything out.

Feel: full body so smooth and creamy the beer melts in your mouth.

Overall: like I said above the best beer I have ever had I'm at a lose for words!

Original review dated May 30th, 2015 got deleted somehow. Rating based on a combination of many draft pours at FW Invitational 2015 and a 2011 bottle.

4.41/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

pours like oil. fresh coffee, and Bakers chocolate are the overlying flavors. can taste the maple on the backend but would like to see that taste come out more in the front with more of the ALC catching you on the rear.

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

Unknown vintage; drank 1/19/16 @ Roots Lincoln Square.

Black/brown appearance.

Minimal tan head; minimal lace.

Chocolate, maple syrup, rich fresh roasted coffee bean, stone fruit & mild booze heat notes in the nose.

Medium thick, creamy mouthfeel.

Rich fresh roasted coffee bean, maple syrup & cream flavors up front; dark chocolate notes on the finish. Vanilla & faint booze heat emerged as this warmed. Dessert perfection on a whole different level. Bravo!

4.3/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2014 on tap at Barcade in NYC.

Beautiful looking beer. Looks rich, gooey and still. La Brea Tar Pits in a glass.

Smell and flavor show a sugary sweetness, roast and black licorice. I don't detect any coffee at this point really, though vanilla and some dark dry fruit may be residuals of that.

Body is thinner than BCBS, but plenty gooey and sticky and with the sugary quality there's a distinct texture. Drinks easily.

4.71/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had 11/09/16 at a Founders event at Barcade Brooklyn. Won't go so far as to say it's the best stout I've had but it is in the running and deserves all the accolades it gets. Very smooth thick feeling beer with bourbon hitting your nose before notes of chocolate come into play. The flavor has bourbon, coffee, chocolate, and just a hint of maple. Complex amazing stout, hope to get lucky enough again someday to have it again.

First had 3/8/15 at a tap takeover at the Tavern on Liberty. It was everything you want in a barrel aged stout. I look to find some every year along with KBS. Chances of getting a case or even a bottle of each every year are slight.

4.79/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pitch black, thick, small tan head and little to no lace. Coffee, toasted grain, sweet maple, and bourbon aromas flood the nose. Sweet toasted maple soaked grain, light bourbon, bitter coffee, vanilla, oak, light coconut, and vanilla. Nice thick feel, highly drinkable, coats the pallet completely and a touch dry on the finish. Otherworldly amazing stout. Great experiencing this. Stout Day 2016.

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2010 vintage (in 2011), on tap in a short glass, smoooooooth, sweet, coffee... mellow, in a good way. Been looking for another bottle/glass ever since.

Best beer I've ever had. An awesome stout, the maple just pushed it over the edge. 2015 vintage on tap at the lionhearted pub in Albany. I wish I could get more.

4.62/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fantastic beer. Really came through as barrel aged coffee stout. The barrel is beautifuly blended. The maple was lacking a bit for me. Overall a delightful treat!

4.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2014 on tap at engine room.

A: jet black, nice tan head and great lacing down the glass.
S: Lots of bourbon on the nose with more coffee and chocolate at the end.
T: Extremely smooth. Bourbon, coffee bitterness, some chocolate sweetness, and a little bit of maple. Wish there was more maple. But this stout is extremely well balanced. Compared to good morning its alot less sweet and more balanced.
F: perfect, it's smooth, thick not sticky. Amazing

O: very smooth well balanced stout with some amazing flavors.

4.84/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Black as night. Coffee and maple on the nose.
2014 on tap for KBS release.
I was expecting more maple favor but it mellowed with the age, so very smooth, drinkable coffee and chocolate sweetness with a subtle maple taste and still quite boozy.

4.74/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Have had multiple times on tap at the brewery. A fantastic beer, but a just little too sweet for me. Definitely prefer KBS, but would take this over almost every other beer I've ever had. Definitely a beer that I would go out of my way to get again.

3.96/5  rDev -14.5%

I am primarily and IPA drinker and am not a fan of coffee flavored or infused beer. So, in that vain, I did not enjoy drinking this beer. I think that there are other beers I'd rather be drinking.

This is the best beer I've ever had in my life. Had it at snallygaster last year and I literally couldn't believe what I was drinking. I've been chasing after it ever since.

Lives up to the hype. I've had it on tap twice. This is one of those few beers that I'll drop whatever I'm doing and go get a glass if I hear it's on tap somewhere in town. It's hard to go back to a plain RIS after drinking this beer. I find myself pouring maple syrup into glasses of Ten Fidy to make it palatable.

4.77/5  rDev +3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap at founders tap takeover. Pours jet black with small caramel color head. Smell was all bourbon, vanilla and hints of chocolate and maple syrup. Taste was immaculate. Kbs x10 is truly the best you can say. The sweetness from the maple gives it a taste and feel.that is top notch. Does not linger and keeps you wanting more. Overall the best stout I have ever had.

I live in Grand Rapids...and go to Founders weekly. Its very very rarely on tap, but when they do tap it, its gone within 20 minutes. I've had a lot of really good beers, but to be completely honest this is the best I've ever had and its not even close. The combination of maple syrup, coffee, chocolate, and bourbon barrels is unreal. This is 10x better than KBS and that's saying a lot

4.98/5  rDev +7.6%

For being mainly an IPA drinker, I had the opportunity to try this beer, and for not liking stouts all that much, this is easily the best beer I have ever had, hands down. 10 times better than the KBS

4.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Randomly on tap at a nearby bar... was extremely lucky to get over there and grab an 8 oz pour of it. Pours jet black... like motor oil (as anticipated). You get a decent amount of chocolate with nice hints of the maple syrup. The roasted coffee flavors weren't as pronounced. There is definitely some underlying bourbon, oaky and vanilla flavors as well. Mouthfeel was a little thinner than I expected; low carbonation. Overall, this one definitely lived up to the hype for me! Cheers!

4.84/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Just an amazingly perfect beer. I love everything about it--from its complex nose and flavor profile of coffee, chocolate AND vanilla, maple and bourbon to its unbelievably smooth feel. I can't say enough good things. This beer truly deserves all the hype.

4.62/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Notes from draft pour. Happy to add another to my list of Founder's stouts that I love. Great hit of coffee, chocolate and a nice hint of bourbon. The maple adds depth to the mouthfeel, for me it's a bit sticky but at 10.6% this is a really enjoyable stout.

4.85/5  rDev +4.8%

Had on draft at Ashley's Ann Arbor, and more recently at the Wurst bar in Ypsilanti. Both served in small snifters.

This elusive beer is worth seeking out. I long for the day they release it in bottles again, although it may cause a few BAs to commit all sort of crimes to get their hands on a few to stash.

It is sweet, playful, and after two tastings, I long for a third.

Founders CBS Imperial Stout from Founders Brewing Company