Founders CBS Imperial Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Founders CBS Imperial StoutFounders CBS Imperial Stout

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Canadian Breakfast Stout (CBS) is the epitome of why we launched the Backstage Series: to bring some of our most sought-after beers, which have been available primarily at the taproom or at a few select events, to a much larger audience.

Canadian Breakfast Stout is an Imperial Stout brewed with a blend of coffees and imported chocolates, then aged in spent bourbon barrels that have most recently been aging pure Michigan maple syrup.

Added by CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

Reviews: 983 | Ratings: 4,256

First had 3/8/15 at a tap takeover at the Tavern on Liberty. It was everything you want in a barrel aged stout. I look to find some every year along with KBS. Chances of getting a case or even a bottle of each every year are slight.

4.79/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pitch black, thick, small tan head and little to no lace. Coffee, toasted grain, sweet maple, and bourbon aromas flood the nose. Sweet toasted maple soaked grain, light bourbon, bitter coffee, vanilla, oak, light coconut, and vanilla. Nice thick feel, highly drinkable, coats the pallet completely and a touch dry on the finish. Otherworldly amazing stout. Great experiencing this. Stout Day 2016.

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2010 vintage (in 2011), on tap in a short glass, smoooooooth, sweet, coffee... mellow, in a good way. Been looking for another bottle/glass ever since.

Best beer I've ever had. An awesome stout, the maple just pushed it over the edge. 2015 vintage on tap at the lionhearted pub in Albany. I wish I could get more.

4.62/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fantastic beer. Really came through as barrel aged coffee stout. The barrel is beautifuly blended. The maple was lacking a bit for me. Overall a delightful treat!

4.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2014 on tap at engine room.

A: jet black, nice tan head and great lacing down the glass.
S: Lots of bourbon on the nose with more coffee and chocolate at the end.
T: Extremely smooth. Bourbon, coffee bitterness, some chocolate sweetness, and a little bit of maple. Wish there was more maple. But this stout is extremely well balanced. Compared to good morning its alot less sweet and more balanced.
F: perfect, it's smooth, thick not sticky. Amazing

O: very smooth well balanced stout with some amazing flavors.

4.84/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Black as night. Coffee and maple on the nose.
2014 on tap for KBS release.
I was expecting more maple favor but it mellowed with the age, so very smooth, drinkable coffee and chocolate sweetness with a subtle maple taste and still quite boozy.

4.74/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Have had multiple times on tap at the brewery. A fantastic beer, but a just little too sweet for me. Definitely prefer KBS, but would take this over almost every other beer I've ever had. Definitely a beer that I would go out of my way to get again.

3.96/5  rDev -14.5%

I am primarily and IPA drinker and am not a fan of coffee flavored or infused beer. So, in that vain, I did not enjoy drinking this beer. I think that there are other beers I'd rather be drinking.

This is the best beer I've ever had in my life. Had it at snallygaster last year and I literally couldn't believe what I was drinking. I've been chasing after it ever since.

Lives up to the hype. I've had it on tap twice. This is one of those few beers that I'll drop whatever I'm doing and go get a glass if I hear it's on tap somewhere in town. It's hard to go back to a plain RIS after drinking this beer. I find myself pouring maple syrup into glasses of Ten Fidy to make it palatable.

4.77/5  rDev +3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap at founders tap takeover. Pours jet black with small caramel color head. Smell was all bourbon, vanilla and hints of chocolate and maple syrup. Taste was immaculate. Kbs x10 is truly the best you can say. The sweetness from the maple gives it a taste and feel.that is top notch. Does not linger and keeps you wanting more. Overall the best stout I have ever had.

I live in Grand Rapids...and go to Founders weekly. Its very very rarely on tap, but when they do tap it, its gone within 20 minutes. I've had a lot of really good beers, but to be completely honest this is the best I've ever had and its not even close. The combination of maple syrup, coffee, chocolate, and bourbon barrels is unreal. This is 10x better than KBS and that's saying a lot

4.98/5  rDev +7.6%

For being mainly an IPA drinker, I had the opportunity to try this beer, and for not liking stouts all that much, this is easily the best beer I have ever had, hands down. 10 times better than the KBS

4.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Randomly on tap at a nearby bar... was extremely lucky to get over there and grab an 8 oz pour of it. Pours jet black... like motor oil (as anticipated). You get a decent amount of chocolate with nice hints of the maple syrup. The roasted coffee flavors weren't as pronounced. There is definitely some underlying bourbon, oaky and vanilla flavors as well. Mouthfeel was a little thinner than I expected; low carbonation. Overall, this one definitely lived up to the hype for me! Cheers!

4.84/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Just an amazingly perfect beer. I love everything about it--from its complex nose and flavor profile of coffee, chocolate AND vanilla, maple and bourbon to its unbelievably smooth feel. I can't say enough good things. This beer truly deserves all the hype.

4.62/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Notes from draft pour. Happy to add another to my list of Founder's stouts that I love. Great hit of coffee, chocolate and a nice hint of bourbon. The maple adds depth to the mouthfeel, for me it's a bit sticky but at 10.6% this is a really enjoyable stout.

4.85/5  rDev +4.8%

Had on draft at Ashley's Ann Arbor, and more recently at the Wurst bar in Ypsilanti. Both served in small snifters.

This elusive beer is worth seeking out. I long for the day they release it in bottles again, although it may cause a few BAs to commit all sort of crimes to get their hands on a few to stash.

It is sweet, playful, and after two tastings, I long for a third.

4.37/5  rDev -5.6%

Sweet, rich and warming. I was really excited to finally try it on draft a couple months back. I felt like a lot of the hype was warranted. Great Imperial Stout.

4.63/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle at my birthday celebration at CBC, London. What a great birthday surprise it was when Bruce pulled this out of his Tesco shopping bag (no, this beer isn’t sold in Tesco). Pours black-brown with a creamy, tan head. Sweet, dark malt nose, some chocolate. Big sweet flavor, dark sugar, chocolate cake, moderate roast. Full bodied with fine to average carbonation. Restrained warmth on the finish, very sweet and chocolatey, light maple notes, some wood. Lasting dark chocolate, dark sugar and baking cocoa. A powerful beer with an incredibly cohesive character. That’s really the strength of this beer, the fact that all elements seamlessly come together. I would say this beer is worthy of the almost universal acclaim it receives. I really hope to try this again sometime. Excellent.

4.47/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had on-tap@ Capitol Beer and Taproom in Sacramento, CA. Keg dated 12/2014.

Appearance - Served up in an 8oz tulip with a thin layer of cocoa-colored head. The brew itself is black with cola brown edging. Lacing is mostly spotty with a few broken webs.

Smell - Chocolate and maple syrup. Lesser coffee roast. Underlying bourbon aroma.

Taste - Follows the nose. Chocolate and syrupy sweetness, adding up to a bit of a Hershey's chocolate syrup character. Lesser coffee roast comes through soon after, along with moderate molasses and maple flavors. Bourbon notes creep in near the end, adding notes of vanilla and oak. The aftertaste rings with a mild sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Full in body with low to moderate carbonation. Thick, sticky texture with a warm, drying finish.

Overall - This one definitely lives up to the hype. The thickness is a huge plus; many BBA stouts suffer from thinning out too much during the aging process, but this one holds true to a genuine impy body. Definitely one my favorite BBA brews I've had, and I look forward to trying it again when the opportunity arises.

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Amazingly had this 3 times during SF Beer week. Looks fine, dark with small head. Aroma is wonderful, sweetness of maple comes through with coffee and chocolate. Taste is incredible, slightly sweet, coffee, chocolate, some barrel, and maple is subtle (at this point). Its delicious. One of my favorite stouts.

4.58/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had three 12oz pours of this at Birch Hill Tavern in Glastonbury, CT. This was one of my top 10 wants, and I got 3 huge pours of it. ALL maple on the tongue, but was hoping for more of a balance to everything. Would definitely seek this one out again though!

4.78/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

9 oz pour on tap. Drank a little colder than ideal temp but who could wait?

Nice black color with very small tan head

Smell is very sweet like candy and vanilla not as much coffee as BS or KBS

Taste is outstanding. The maple syrup and bourbon blend perfectly. There's not a ton of complexity but the handful of flavors that come through are perfectly balanced. Tastes like donuts or chocolate covered caramels. Very sweet from the syrup but not overly sweet at all.

Hands down one of the best beers I have tried. Believe any and all hype

4.8/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This lived up to the hype for me. A pitch black pour with almost no head.
Smells wintery... like sticky sweet maple. Chocolate and of course oak and bourbon.
Taste is much the same and does not disappoint.
A little thinner than I was expecting but not thin by any means.
I want more...