CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)
4.67/5
World-Class
CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Canadian Breakfast Stout (CBS) is the epitome of why we launched the Backstage Series: to bring some of our most sought-after beers, which have been available primarily at the taproom or at a few select events, to a much larger audience.

Canadian Breakfast Stout is an Imperial Stout brewed with a blend of coffees and imported chocolates, then aged in spent bourbon barrels that have most recently been aging pure Michigan maple syrup.

Added by CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

#13

Ratings: 5,172 |  Reviews: 1,199
4.99/5  rDev +6.9%

4.96/5  rDev +6.2%

3.97/5  rDev -15%

4.63/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +1.7%

It didn’t have the “layers” I was expecting it to but this is a damn good beer. It’s smooth chocolatey with a hint of sweet on the back. I really liked it a lot.

4.78/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev -3.6%

4.59/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.51/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.73/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.81/5  rDev +3%

4.48/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2017 Edition 375ml bottle.
Look: Beautiful dark brew with a huge tan head.
Smell: Bakers chocolate, milk chocolate, Maraschino cherry truffles,
Taste: Wow! Nice big chocolatey stout, nougat, maple syrup, sweet red maraschino cherries and finishes with a slight hit of bourbon booziness. Nice thick mouthfeel.
Overall: Pretty amazing! Chocolate decadence in a glass. It's a fairly sweet affair, which may be off-putting to some. I am not sure what happened to the coffee, I just don't get the typical roasty to green flavours that coffee imparts on beer. I would seek this out but I would not age it, this needs to be drunk within it's expiry date - which in this case was October 27th, 2018.

4.56/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.09/5  rDev -12.4%

It's a well done big stout. Can't say I see the mania for it though. I never had the original but it was the first really rare one I couldn't get back when I first started trading, so it was legend. Maybe the game has caught up to them in the years since the first release. I enjoyed it, but I didn't $30 enjoy it. I can't say I really picked up on the maple either. Too much maple is too much, but It must have been very subtle. If you had given this to me blind and not told me anything about it, I'd have rated it a nicely done stout. But I'd do that for tons of big stouts these days, so I'm not seeing it as a standout amongst the many others. I would buy this again at $12.99, or $15 tops.

4.76/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

As a huge fan KBS I knew that this would be good. And I wasn’t disappointed! Sweet chocolate and coffee. Thick and chewy. Super duper!

4.42/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Yeah I bought into the hype and paid $27 for 1 pint 9.4 oz bottle here in Oklahoma and it doesn't disappoint. Beer pours a motor oil black with a dark tan head. The smell is alcohol, chocolate and some coffee. The flavor is first and foremost sweet then roasted malts with the chocolate, coffee maybe a hint of maple no strong presence of bourbon which is a good thing. A nice smooth stout just a tad overpriced but hey they got me.

4.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.77/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev -3.6%

4.63/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.84/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.46/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L - Vigorously poured into a snifter. Jet black with about an Inch of cocoa brown head, which stays around a lot longer than I would have thought at 11.7 abv.

S - Nose is full of chocolate and coffee with a lot of booziness in the back. Can only barely detect the maple syrup. Way boozier than I expected. Buddy even commented on how strong it smelled when I was pouring mine some 5 feet away.

T - Taste is the same chocolate and coffee, but it's only a tad hot in the back. Very sweet. Thankfully the booziness takes a backseat when actually drinking it. Maple syrup is ever so slight on the backend and only makes itself known upon swallowing. Delicious but I really expected a lot more maple syrup based in what I had heard. Flavors really pop as the beer warms up. Drink it slow.

F - Oh so creamy. Coats the mouth nicely to the point where the taste lingers around for quite a bit after swallowing. Feels like a stout is supposed to feel.

O - Absolutely a world class beer. I was not disappointed, but I don't think it quite lived up to the hype. I will certainly seek it out in the future, and if the opportunity arises will try earlier batches. I really want to try that overwhelmingly maple forward beer I have heard stories about, but this isn't quite that. Drink it slow and enjoy it, it is still fantastic.

CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company