Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Canadian Breakfast Stout (CBS) is the epitome of why we launched the Backstage Series: to bring some of our most sought-after beers, which have been available primarily at the taproom or at a few select events, to a much larger audience.

Canadian Breakfast Stout is an Imperial Stout brewed with a blend of coffees and imported chocolates, then aged in spent bourbon barrels that have most recently been aging pure Michigan maple syrup.

Added by CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

Ratings: 4,333 |  Reviews: 996

Bottle from 2011. Smooth and sweet. Much more so than KBS.

4.91/5  rDev +6%

4.51/5  rDev -2.6%

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fresh on tap at Parker's Pies on 3/5/2015.

3.5/5  rDev -24.4%

4.4/5  rDev -5%

4.8/5  rDev +3.7%

4.25/5  rDev -8.2%

4.25/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I purchased this bottle of CBS over two years ago, and shortly thereafter I heard that this would be retired. I already know this is going to be good...

Appearance - Pours 2 fingers of cinnamon brown foamy head, the body is opaque, and burnt sienna brown to black, no highlights at the sides. Gentle foam rings are left after each sip.

Smell - The very first whiff fills my nostrils with dark ripe fruits and dark soy sauce, then rich moist roasted malt, now some sweetened dark chocolate, a whiff of french roast coffee with a shot of booze.

Taste - This is so incredibly balanced - at the beginning of the quaff I get all of these flavors at once - really rich roasted malts, warm soy sauce, molasses, dark fruits of fig, raisin, and over-ripe plum, barely sweetened dark chocolate, then as it warms in your mouth you get deep roasted coffee with a little bit of coffee grounds bitterness, pumpernickel crusts, and then there it is... maple and oak. Longer into the finish the maple remains, along with traces of black coffee, dark chocolate and moist oak in the mouth corners. Long after the sip there is astringent coffee grounds, slightly sour dark fruit skins, burnt pumpernickel crust, and slightly sweet maple that keeps it all in check.

Moouthfeel - This is a full mouth filling beer - creamy and silky smooth, lightly coating the mouth. The lips are left sticky with chocolate, coffee and maple syrup. Carb is in the low side, and is smooth and foaming across the tongue, with a few edges that appear as the beer makes it's way over the sides of the tongue. An excellent and contemplative sipper.

Overall - Okay, I'm just going to say it. I've recently had FIS, KBS, and now CBS. And honestly, I would put them in this order: FIS, CBS, and finally KBS. Yes that's right, FIS would be first. CBS is a fantastic IS, but honestly after this bottle I would not seek it out again - I truly feel that FIS is a better beer, and thank heavens, as I can get my hands on this at will. The maple here is very flavorful and interesting, and the balance and complexity here is incredible. I can't knock this beer by any means, but I won't lose any sleep knowing that it is retired. Now if they retired FIS, then we would have a problem... cheers :)

Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company