Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Canadian Breakfast Stout (CBS) is the epitome of why we launched the Backstage Series: to bring some of our most sought-after beers, which have been available primarily at the taproom or at a few select events, to a much larger audience.

Canadian Breakfast Stout is an Imperial Stout brewed with a blend of coffees and imported chocolates, then aged in spent bourbon barrels that have most recently been aging pure Michigan maple syrup.

Added by CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

Ratings: 4,323 |  Reviews: 995
4.7/5  rDev +1.5%

3.5/5  rDev -24.4%

4.84/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Acquired via trade, possibly my favorite trade thus far. Bottle poured into snifter.

A: Extremely dark. Not exactly black, but just 1 or 2 shades shy of black, on the brown side. Pours with just shy of 1 finger of khaki head that reduces fairly quickly and leaves almost no lacing.
S: I get a large amount of vanilla and maple up front, and lingering throughout. The roasty bourbon goodness takes a back seat, and compliments very nicely. All the aromas blend together so well.
T: All of the flavors in this mesh so well, I can't believe this is a one off beer. The sweetness of the maple and vanilla hit up front, with a tiny amount of heat from the bourbon in the back ground, and finally the roast rounding out all the flavors almost like a binder for the sweet and heat.
M: This goes down way too easily for such a high ABV beer. There's a lower level of carbonation, with a silky smooth sweetness that begs me craving for more.
O: I do my best not to look into the hype of desirable beers, but wow does this one live up to any and all expectations. I love the way all the components blend together, with nothing being overpowering. So complex, well blended depth, and an all around great beer.

4.33/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -8.2%

4.79/5  rDev +3.5%

4.34/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Good beer Sunday is back this week
A - black with a nice thick mocha head that disappears fairly quick. Nice lacing. Poured straight down them middle into snifter
S - coffee is strong for me, everything else is in the background
T - coffee ice cream, black licorice , maple, dark chocolate
M - really nice thick syrupy feel
O- overall really good, not as great as I expected, I thought this one was definiltly going to blow me away. I was more impressed when I stumbled upon BB Siren Noir last week (advertised as regular version). It's all about expectations.
Skol