Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Canadian Breakfast Stout (CBS) is the epitome of why we launched the Backstage Series: to bring some of our most sought-after beers, which have been available primarily at the taproom or at a few select events, to a much larger audience.

Canadian Breakfast Stout is an Imperial Stout brewed with a blend of coffees and imported chocolates, then aged in spent bourbon barrels that have most recently been aging pure Michigan maple syrup.

Added by CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

Ratings: 4,325 |  Reviews: 995

Poored into a stemmed
Stout glass

A- beautiful tan syrup head that held for about half of the drink it made the aromas pop while drinking

S- sweet maple syrup notes with coffee were present throughout, no alcohol scents at all...The sweet syrup scents were prevalent and refreshing

T- wow, right off the top I got coffee flavors strong and velvety and as the beer started to warm up (I took my time with this bottle) theatre syrup taste rose up

M- smooth velvet .... So easy to drink

Overall- this beer lives up to the hype, it has such a great balance coupled with complexity that it would be tough to top. Too bad this is so rare... But wow what a wonderful contraption from FBS

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%

I enjoyed this brew last night with my brother and brother-in-law (who's actually from Canada... Edmonton, Canada, born and raised). We all agreed this ale was delicious from start to finish. Popping the cap, you take in the coffee, chocolate, maple syrup, and bourbon aromas. While pouring, you notice the deep, dark color with a head to match. I wish I would've opened this one a little earlier; however, Founders still came through. Some of the flavors weren't as strong, yet still very bold. As many have said, this is a great beer and I'd definitely recommend this one!

4.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

Not much I can say. according to my untapped app. I have tried over 600 beers just this year and CBS is the Best beer I have ever had hands down. It is pure perfection from the mouth feel being as rich as it is, the maple coffee, wood flavors. This is what everyone that makes beer should aim to do. This is the beer that sets the stage. If you get a chance to trade for one, do it. There might not be as much life in it at this point but it still has to be good.

4.25/5  rDev -8.2%

4.35/5  rDev -6%

From notes 7/7/13

Poured from a 650 ml bottle into a snifter.

A: Dark brown or black. Slight, bubbly head. Settles quickly, leaving a foam ring and a slight smattering of bubbles. Spotty, but distinct lacing.

S: Roasted coffee, dark bittersweet chocolate, molasses, and a little maple syrup.

T: Roasted coffee, dark chocolate, and maple syrup.

M: Buttery, hearty, thick, and syrupy. A bit of a char-roasty aftertaste.

D: Sip and enjoy. So smooth, mellow, and balanced.

Overall, this is a great quaff. As good as it gets.

4.12/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - Jet black with a thin milk chocolate colored head that hangs around for a while. Nice lacing.

S - Bourbon, coffee, roasted malt, bitter dark chocolate, sugary sweetness

T - Chocolaty-bourbon with a coffee backbone. Maple is not very present at all. I drank a Better Half a few weeks before the CBS and the maple in the Better Half is still very dominate.

M - Medium carbonation, really smooth but a little thinner then I was expecting.

O - A very delicious, well made beer. Wish I got a chance to try it fresh.

4.94/5  rDev +6.7%

I would first like to say that so many people talk about how this beer has fallen off and is past its prime. I honestly now believe that if that is true then this must have been the best beer ever brewed in the history of BA stouts. I have been waiting 6 months to open this bottle. here we go

A: Pours a lovely almost pitch-black with an incredible mocha brown head that fades rapidly.

S: The smell is the only score I did not give a 5 I gave it a 4.75. There are sweet chocolate and a slight roasted coffee on the nose that I am surprised had not faded. There is also a bourbon scent but it is almost all blended together but that is not bad just means its all well integrated as it aged.

T: This is the stuff that dreams are made of. Nice sweet maple bourbon and nice and sweet up front. Then the roast of coffee and slight bitter sweet chocolate come in with the hint of bourbon. very well blended in almost a story telling way with each sip. If this is faded flavors that I am tasting then this must have been the top gun when it released because it is drinking so well and composed right now.

M: This is also where this beer is perfect in every way for the style. the beer sits on your tongue with each sip and the carbonation is spot on. I couldn't imagine a beer being so well done.

Overall this is a beer that everyone should try before they die. I have another one and put it FT but I am taking it back. Its so good that if I could never get another then I would never trade it for ANYTHING. Go out and find this beer. even if you have to buy it online for $150. It is worth everything and anything. Cheers

3.5/5  rDev -24.4%

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

3.99/5  rDev -13.8%

A: Poured a deep black with good carbonation leaving a short lived but healthy tannish head. A small dose of lacing clings to the glass after a few sips

S: Some maple upfront, bourbon, chocolate, coffee and oats. A little bit of booze stings the nostrils.

T: Upfront I get oats smothered in bourbon, chocolate and maple with a splash of bourbon. The flavors seemed to be a bit muddled and/or faded. Some waivering vanilla darts in and out. The finish has a sweetness coupled with a lingering roastiness, not bitter though.

M: Hearty for sure. Well carbonated, sweet, chewy. Loads of flavor saturate the palate. Pretty decadent feel.

O: I am extremely glad I finally got my hands on this beer. Nicely done. However, if I want a Maple Stout I will take a Berserker anyday.

Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company