Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Canadian Breakfast Stout (CBS) is the epitome of why we launched the Backstage Series: to bring some of our most sought-after beers, which have been available primarily at the taproom or at a few select events, to a much larger audience.

Canadian Breakfast Stout is an Imperial Stout brewed with a blend of coffees and imported chocolates, then aged in spent bourbon barrels that have most recently been aging pure Michigan maple syrup.

Added by CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

Ratings: 4,333 |  Reviews: 996
4.94/5  rDev +6.7%

I would first like to say that so many people talk about how this beer has fallen off and is past its prime. I honestly now believe that if that is true then this must have been the best beer ever brewed in the history of BA stouts. I have been waiting 6 months to open this bottle. here we go

A: Pours a lovely almost pitch-black with an incredible mocha brown head that fades rapidly.

S: The smell is the only score I did not give a 5 I gave it a 4.75. There are sweet chocolate and a slight roasted coffee on the nose that I am surprised had not faded. There is also a bourbon scent but it is almost all blended together but that is not bad just means its all well integrated as it aged.

T: This is the stuff that dreams are made of. Nice sweet maple bourbon and nice and sweet up front. Then the roast of coffee and slight bitter sweet chocolate come in with the hint of bourbon. very well blended in almost a story telling way with each sip. If this is faded flavors that I am tasting then this must have been the top gun when it released because it is drinking so well and composed right now.

M: This is also where this beer is perfect in every way for the style. the beer sits on your tongue with each sip and the carbonation is spot on. I couldn't imagine a beer being so well done.

Overall this is a beer that everyone should try before they die. I have another one and put it FT but I am taking it back. Its so good that if I could never get another then I would never trade it for ANYTHING. Go out and find this beer. even if you have to buy it online for $150. It is worth everything and anything. Cheers

3.5/5  rDev -24.4%

3.99/5  rDev -13.8%

A: Poured a deep black with good carbonation leaving a short lived but healthy tannish head. A small dose of lacing clings to the glass after a few sips

S: Some maple upfront, bourbon, chocolate, coffee and oats. A little bit of booze stings the nostrils.

T: Upfront I get oats smothered in bourbon, chocolate and maple with a splash of bourbon. The flavors seemed to be a bit muddled and/or faded. Some waivering vanilla darts in and out. The finish has a sweetness coupled with a lingering roastiness, not bitter though.

M: Hearty for sure. Well carbonated, sweet, chewy. Loads of flavor saturate the palate. Pretty decadent feel.

O: I am extremely glad I finally got my hands on this beer. Nicely done. However, if I want a Maple Stout I will take a Berserker anyday.

4.56/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

***I'm celebrating my 500th beer had/review! I knew I wanted to try something special from my cellar for the occasion, and I thought to myself, what better beer to drink on Canada Day? Perfectly cheesy!

A- black... And appears slightly oily in consistency/texture. There is a small, dark-tan head that slowly disappears, leaving behind a slight ring around he edge of the glass. The lacing looks oily and bubble-laden, but does not coat/stain the glass like Dark Lord.

S- Bourbony oak, brownie, espresso beans: it's complex, yet faint... Things are not jumping out at me and overpowering each other. I do get a bit of licorice in the end as it warms.

T- slight warmth from the boubon, chocolate cake/brownie,oak, coffee, and some fig and maple in the finish. I still get a touch of maple, but I was also looking for it... I must say it was not detectable until it warmed up. The lingering taste has a nice bourbon ash taste... Ash doesn't sound appealing, but it's quite nice (I'm going to say that is the tobacco flavor). As it gets even warmer, I am starting to get a slight anise flavor I have read about. IMO, these flavors that people have been harping on are making it even more complex and bringing out a lot of depth... I am enjoying it.

M- as the appearance lead me to believe, it is slightly oily, but it has the perfect amount of carbonation. It is smooth, but the alcohol warmth masks it from feeling velvety.

O- this was a special occasion beer, and I must admit that I was quite giddy to try it. It's hard to say whether it stood up to the hype I had built up, but I feel like the fact that it's the 500th different beer I had made it feel special... Besides, I prefer my KBS with some age on it, and I thought Better Half was a bit strong in the maple department when I tried it fresh. That being said, I would have liked the opportunity to try CBS fresh, but that's not how it played out...

4.25/5  rDev -8.2%

4.84/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company