Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Founders CBS Imperial Stout | Founders Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
Founders CBS Imperial StoutFounders CBS Imperial Stout

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Canadian Breakfast Stout (CBS) is the epitome of why we launched the Backstage Series: to bring some of our most sought-after beers, which have been available primarily at the taproom or at a few select events, to a much larger audience.

Canadian Breakfast Stout is an Imperial Stout brewed with a blend of coffees and imported chocolates, then aged in spent bourbon barrels that have most recently been aging pure Michigan maple syrup.

Added by CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

Reviews: 979 | Ratings: 4,208
4.94/5  rDev +6.7%

Intense coffee aroma. Great melding of coffee, chocolate, and bourbon flavors with just the right sweetness from the maple syrup. I wish the aroma had a bit more dimension, but this is a fantastic beer that deserves the praise it gets.

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Doherty's Ale house, added from notes:

Appearance: deep, obsidian black in body, with a tiny rim of dark brown on the edges when swirled. Thin, but persistent mocha-colored head, that dissipates after a minute or two into a slim collar around the edge of the glass.

Aroma: One of the most balanced and delectable smelling stouts I've had. You can smell the maple and bourbon from a yard away, if not more. Upon closer sniffin' around, the beer has a layer of coffee roast in addition to the obvious and pungent maple and barrel scent. The whole bar smelled of CBS.

Taste: one of my favorite types of beer, the maple stout. This one does not disappoint at all. Tastes like rich milk chocolate, with layer upon layer of decadent, dessert-y flavors. Bitter roast of coffee, vanilla and wood from the bourbon barrel, and lots of maple syrup. It's a fantastic, amalgamation of flavor.

Feel: heavy and viscous, although it isn't as high in percentage as some double/imp stouts, it delivers fully in body.

Overall: one of the top 10 beers I've ever tasted in all likelihood, and second only to Good Morning in terms of maple-y stouts.

Had on tap. This was the white whale that I could have only dreamed of having since I had tasted my first craft beer 4-5 years ago.

L: Pours a pitch, impenetrable black with a small dark khaki colored had that became nothing but a ring after a few second. I hold this up to the light and see nothing but black.

S: Smells of coffee, alcohol (at first) and a faint maple sweetness. I pick up some chocolate as well. This smells very nice, but the initial pour that I had was colder than it should be. As this warmed, the aroma became more pronounced and the coffee and maple were able to shine.

T: As previously mentioned, the initial pour was pretty cold which yielded some alcohol. I am rating this on what I tasted as this warmed. Coffee and sweet bourbon come through in a strong way. There is a sweetness that is brought forth by the maple syrup that makes this very desirable. The flavors mesh well together and the way this beer is constructed, each flavor is able to shine through throughout the experience. I have had more maple forward coffee stouts, but as a Founders barrel aged stout, I get exactly what I'm expecting, which is a smooth, well rounded stout.

F: This feels higher than the 10.6% that Founders says this is. This is a thick, chewy stout, but it's pretty easy to drink. I was able to polish off 12 ounces of this in a relatively short time. As this warms, the alcohol presence predictably disappears and allows this stout to become smoother and well balanced.

Overall: I had supremely high hopes for this beer. This was the beer that I dreamed to have when I first started getting into craft beer. I actually started drinking craft beer about a month after this beer was released. This beer had some sentimental value to me as it was released on the day that my grandmother passed away. I put this beer on my list of white whales with the understanding that I may never try this in my life. This beer lives up to the hype for me. It is not as coffee or maple forward as some other beers that I have had. However, CBS is a beer brings flavors together in a way that other breweries cannot do. I am completely satisfied and if I ever see this beer available again, I will not hesitate to order it.

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

For look and smell, this was at a festival in the drizzle, so kinda hard to tell. The flavor, however, was amazing. I thought at first it was a tiny bit too sweet, until I had another (4.25+ on BA) imperial stout that proved just how balanced CBS is. This beer is just perfectly balanced, truly amazing. I always want a tiny bit more carbonation in these, but even this was a minor detractor. So delicious.

4.52/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at Beggar's Banquet, East Lansing, MI on 12/9/14. Served in a 12 oz. snifter
A: Pitch black liquid, ring of brown lace. More head please.
S: Some molasses, some whiskey (not hot), maple syrup, lots of vanilla and chocolate.
T: Sweet, molasses, licorice, cane sugar. Not hot. Maybe a tad too sweet. A bit more roast would be nice. Slight coffee and chocolate in the aftertaste as it warms.
M: Warm, but not hot. Silky. Not roasty.
O: Very good. This whale fell in my lap - surprise release today! It was worth the wait. Quite good.

8 oz pour (2015)
Dark black pour. Small dirty head.
Smells of slight vanilla, roastiness, sweetness. Very mouthwatering.
The smell follows through on the taste. Up front the roastiness and barrel character come through (vanilla, slight wood). There is no heat in the aftertaste, just a nice sweetness that lingers.
The mouthfeel is thick and completely coats the mouth.

4.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hey, this is a really solid beer. Great coffee and maple. Super clean and bright for a BA stout. The flavors really sing. With that said, it's not really a top 10 all time for me.

4.69/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this beer in a 12oz snifter at a KBS-CBS-Blushing Monk tasting event. Beautiful pitch black pour with a dark khaki head. Mouthfeel is on the thicker side like its other breakfast stout brethren. The syrupy-sweet of the maple syrup really builds on the (already excellent) smell of KBS, and adds another layer to the taste, but 4 or 5 ounces in, that sweetness starts to get cloying. Ultimately the maple syrup addition is a nice tweak to an already phenomenal base beer, but compounding the saccharine notes of bourbon with still-more-saccharine maple syrup was a little much for my tastes. Though I'd place the standard KBS higher on my personal list, this is the superior choice for anyone who wants to go sweeter still. Regardless, personal nitpicks aside, this is an incredible beer.

4.79/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

on tap at a CBS release party. poured pitch black. smelled coffee, chocolate, bourbon, hint of maple syrup. i expected to taste more maple, but definitely tasted the chocolate, bourbon, coffee. fairly thin, would love it to be a tad thicker. overall, an amazing beer. obviously had very high expectations for it, and it's right up there with the best of them.

4.2/5  rDev -9.3%

i finally got my hands on this one. i had to pay dearly and i had HIGH expectations. I dont know if the bottle was stored properly or what but this wasnt as good as I had hoped. Still a great beer. maple syrup was very pronounced. not overly boozy. great beer. i'd love to try a fresh one to compare

3.09/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Too maple syrupy and sweet for me. Way too sweet. KBS is much better.

This resembles a mixture breakfast sausage and vanilla, doused in maple syrup.
And I mean that in the worst way possible.

It Looked great. Didn't smell bad either. I'm sorry but the taste is just gross.

Don't get me wrong it's still a decent beer but I don't think this is world class at all. I would give it like an 80 out of 100

4.79/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Pitch black, with a persistent khaki head.

S: Bourbon and maple up front, followed by chocolate, coffee, and vanilla.

T: Bourbon-soaked fudge leads, followed by maple sugar and crème brûlée. I could drink this forever. The finish is complex: bourbon, maple syrup, and chocolate, fading into oak and coffee.

F: Not as thick as it could be, but not overly thin, either.

O: A world-class barrel-aged stout. Not worth a two-hour line, but decidedly delicious.

4.46/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This was a great beer....but after all the hype and build up I agree with reviews that say it was rather thin....still very good but not one that quite lived up to its legend for me.

Had this at the tap room during KBS week. Probably the best beer I have ever had. The maple sweetness taste caps off the chocolate/coffee/bourbon flavor and all works perfect together. Not to sweet and not to strong. Can't wait to have it again

3.9/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

i had this on tap... loads of licorice and chocolate, some brownie like fudge oak has given a red wine like bitterness which i dont like too much, this is pretty good but was disappointing!! its very thin..

4.54/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer didn't do as much as I hoped it would for me. It was well executed but the maple linger was the only thing that really set it apart from a lot of the well done coffee stout world. I'd still rather drink BCBCS. I'll be revisiting this in a couple weeks when I have another shot at this beer.

Served: January 2015, Rustico Arlington, Mini-snifter.

4.56/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A hint sweeter than I'd have wanted, but that's the nature of the beast - the beast being the crazy amount of maple syrup in there. I'd take the KBS over this one, probably, but let's be real here: this is the epitome of the style. Smoother than it should be, and reasonably balanced, but the flavor tips over to maple pretty heavily. Still, you get a fair share of chocolate, wood, practically no bitterness, and a decent head but mild carbonation. Rich and succulent, this would be the perfect desert beer after a hefty steak and paired with some chocolate cake or something, or just sipped by itself beside a fire. Not worth the 5 star rating, but get some if you can!

4.76/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Enjoyed from keg of the 2014 batch at Ray's Beer Gallery. Pours a deep dark toasty stout. The noise was immediately of carmel and maple syrup. Not very boozy and easy to drink (I went back for a 2nd pour of 16oz)

Quite simply the best beer I've ever had. Had it on draft. Color is a deep rich chocolate black. Has a wonderful aroma, everything is in balance, you get coffee, chocolate, bourbon & maple syrup, has a touch of booziness. For as heavy as this could be, it drank incredibly smooth. A perfect blend of coffee, chocolate, bourbon & maple syrup. All the flavors complement each other and none over power. Leaves a great chocolate and coffee aftertaste. My mind is blown. A complexity of flavors that keep evolving through the drinking experience. Love this beer

4.96/5  rDev +7.1%

Thick and syrupy. Sweet without being cloying. Bourbon is noticeably. Has a strong coffee component, and maple is also very forward. An amazing beer.

4.53/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2014 out of a crowler on 7/19/2015. This is a great beer, probably their best I've had. I don't think it lives up to the hype though.

Appearance is pretty thick, but not motor oil thick, which is what I look for in a stout.

Nose is good, but just missing that pop. Sweet, somewhat roasty, but the maple doesn't pop like I want it too. Almost has a lactose like thing going.

Taste is better, maple comes out more but it's not too big, definitely nothing like KBBS. Sweet but not cloying and very smooth.

Feel is almost perfect, I'd just prefer it to be a little thicker. But it's almost there and still really great.

CBS is really really good, and I generally rate high, but it's not perfect. If you can find it on tap, definitely give it a shot. I doubt the 2011s are worth going for unless you want the tick.

4.59/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Not the biggest bourbon barrel aged beer fan. Have had KBS a handful of times and thought it was OK. But its cousin CBS is an entirely different beast. Much more smooth in my opinion. More foreword CO2. The vanilla and coffee flavors expose themselves far more to my pallet. I do enjoy this on the colder side, as the vanilla-ish taste isn't overtaken by the ABV and the cold feel is contrasted perfectly with the warmth the alcohol brings to the back of the tongue. Spectacular beer. Really must try to find it in a bottle.

4.93/5  rDev +6.5%

WOW, a little on the boozy side in the nose, but boy does it deliver in flavor. The sweetness of the maple blends exquisitely with the bourbon filled alcohol.

4.83/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Tasted on tap at "Founders Keepers" event in NYC. This is a really rock solid beer. I believe it's completely different than KBS. A bit higher FG and the maple, coffee, chocolate is really well balanced.

Not much to say except this stout is everything I like in a stout. Just enough mocha and fudge, mixed perfect with roasty coffee and expresso. Smooth bourbon and vanilla towards the finish with a nice touch of maple, but not clingy at all. One of my favorite stouts out there.

Founders CBS Imperial Stout from Founders Brewing Company