Founders CBS Imperial Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Founders CBS Imperial StoutFounders CBS Imperial Stout

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Canadian Breakfast Stout (CBS) is the epitome of why we launched the Backstage Series: to bring some of our most sought-after beers, which have been available primarily at the taproom or at a few select events, to a much larger audience.

Canadian Breakfast Stout is an Imperial Stout brewed with a blend of coffees and imported chocolates, then aged in spent bourbon barrels that have most recently been aging pure Michigan maple syrup.

Added by CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

Reviews: 979 | Ratings: 4,218
4.47/5  rDev -3.5%

Big thanks to Jay for sharing this one! Review from notes.

A: Pours a dark black with a slight ruby tinge when held up to the light. Small tan colored head that had minimal retention and spotty lacing.

S: Some coffee and roasted malt mixed with some chocolate. There is a little maple sweetness and hints of bourbon and vanilla.

T: Light sweetness upfront along with some maple, more coffee, roast and chocolate. There are undertones of bourbon, vanilla, and a little caramel.

M: Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation. Very easy drinking.

O: A really good beer, one of the best I have had, but I think I prefer KBS which we consume side by side. I was hoping that the maple would come through a little stronger, but still a great beer nonetheless.

4.62/5  rDev -0.2%

Had on tap tonight at Churchkey in DC.

a - Pours a dark black color with no carbonation evident and less than an inch of white head.

s - Smells of bourbon, roasted malts, vanilla, light oak, and maple syrup.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, bourbon, and a hint of vanilla and dark fruits.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Smooth and pretty easy to drink for 9.4% ABV.

d - Another very nice stout from Founders. I found it sweeter and obviously with less bourbon to it than KBS, but still good none the less. Some nice roasted malts and bourbon in the smell and taste, and it was pretty easy to drink. I prefer KBS, and I think Founders Breakfast Stout as well, to this, but if I saw it on a tap list I would definitely buy a glass. Glad I got to try it and would like to have again. 4/4.5/4.5/4.5/4
___

Update: I've had this beer 4 times now, most recently at Churchkey again on 10/04/11. The buzz around CBS has been insane this time around, mostly due to trading and it being in bottles, but I figured might as well go get it on tap since I probably won't get a bottle. I've really liked it in the past, but not as much as KBS and about on par with FBS, so wasn't too upset if I didn't get any bottles. All hype aside, after having this again on Tuesday I thought it was absolutely fantastic. The maple sweetness and bourbon mix amazingly with the coffee and roasted qualities, and it's super easy to drink for almost 10%. This was by far the best I've ever had and really made me wish I hadn't been so lazy looking for bottles. Oh well, next year I'll try harder. Would now put this above FBS and very close to KBS in my book.
4/4.5/4.5/5/5

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On draft today at Churchkey in D.C. Served in a 10 oz. snifter.

Very near black appearance with a 1/4" dark beige head. Upon swirling the head gets bigger (oh my...), and leaves some generous lacing on the glass.

Aromas of roasted malt, bourbon.

T: Really fabulous stuff. The maple syrup element comes through more prominently in the taste than it does in the aroma. I believe this may be slightly better than KBS (I may or may not have had a KBS near me), but they are both top-notch beers, in my opinion. CBS and KBS are also very similar beers, for the most part. The melding of the barrel and roasted malt flavors is impeccable.

M: Really smooth up front and quaffable...Bang! There's some nice alcohol heat in the finish for you.

D: Fantastic beer and worthy of hype. I hope to enjoy this again, maybe even in bottles? Highly recommended.

4.35/5  rDev -6%

Well...hello there old friend. It has been awhile. Poured this time from a bottle into a snifter. The brew appears black in color with a brown head that is more than a finger strong. A full wall of webby lacing sticks to the glass. Faint brown clarity is seen through the edges.

The smell is sweet with chocolate, musty coffee, and a dark sweetness of molasses. Very pleasant and roasty with a well rounded character all about it. My only gripe is the coffee scent inclusion does not offer up and brightness or freshness. Instead it is a bit dull and earthy with that stale mustiness of left over coffee quality.

The taste is super pleasant with a smooth, sweet chocolate flavor. Notes of cocoa blend into roasted coffee, molasses sweetness and a hint of fruity alcohol. This brew is modestly bitter and roasty but very well balanced with all the flavor contributions perfectly blending together and not clashing or fighting for attention at all.

This is a medium bodied brew with a smooth feel that is modestly carbonated. Awesome arrangement of flavor. This is super easy drinking, I would have it regularly if that was possible. I would of had zero issues killing the entire bottle and looking for more.

4.85/5  rDev +4.8%

750 mL bottle poured into my CBS snifter. MASSIVE thanks to MarcatGSB for this bottle. I'm still blown away.

Appearance - Dark black body (duh) with a one-finger khaki head. Decent retention and decent lacing. Nice wisps of bubbles on top of the beer.

Smell - Strong coffee aroma, as with KBS. Almost too strong, but the stout shines through enough to temper the coffee. Delicious roast and some maple sweetness in the back.

Taste - Just about perfect. Dark coffee that blends seamlessly with the stout flavors. It's difficult to discern where the coffee ends and the roasted malt begins. Another seamless transition into a maple finish. Finishes slightly sweet, with still a hint of coffee bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Perfect body. I could gulp this down if I didn't want to savor every drop of it. Low, but appropriate carbonation. The flavors linger long enough to make me want to take another sip.

Overall - I need more of this. Holy crap. I can't thank Marc enough for this bottle. Worth the hype and I'd say worth trading through the nose for in the future.

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

On tap at Acadia Cafe, in a fluted tulip. I hate these, I'd rather have balloon snifter. Waaah.

Solid ebon hue, lovely cocoa-tan head, small, but staying, leaving some lace. Looks the part, gets me anticipating something great!

Aroma: Sweetness in the nose, coffee first, then chocolate, a bit of molasses, here comes the maple...whiskey makes a cameo.

Taste: Big, beefy and brawny, ...chocolate starts it out, slathers itself all over the palate, floats and coats...there's hints of coffee too. Oats bring the smoothness, layer on layer of flavor bring the slickness. Nice roasty character on the palate. This is one big in taste, but not overpowering. The deliciousness in this, however, is through the roof.

Now, on to glass #2. It was so good, I had to have another. And I can't believe they still have this.

Rich, and sweet, but not overly so. Sugary maple mixes with coffee and chocolate, and somewhere in the middle, the bourbon peeps in. It might seem like a cacophony, but there's harmony here. Gets sweeter as we go...but the depth of the flavor makes up for that. An utterly rich and complex stout. Decadent? Oh,yeah. Mmmm, but it's amazingly delicious.

Ends very evenly on the palate. Could never call it dry, but it rounds out, and stays mellow. A definite nightcapper, something to settle down with, and close down your evening in style.

4.25/5  rDev -8.2%

Sampled at EBF on Saturday afternoon.
Pours thick and black like motor oil with a creamy tan head that sticks around for a while before attaching to my -stache. Smells of coffee and chocolate mostly with bits of earthy hops in there that try in vain to balance the sweetness on this bad boy. The maple aroma is very subtle but there. I pick up little to no barrel aromas. Taste is sweet with tons of coffee chocolate and caramel malts with again faint maple and some earthy spicy hops trying to cut through the sweetness. Thick body with a sweet creamy silky smooth mouthfeel and a light level of carbonation. This is a great beer, but the maple seems very subtle. I remember having this a couple of years ago and thinking it was over mapled. If it didn't cost my first born and require swapping spit with the beer store guy I'd add a few of these to my basement.

4.37/5  rDev -5.6%

Had this on-tap at the Founders brewpub. Served in a pint glass.

A - By the time I got my glass from the server there was no foam left, so I spied on a glass being poured and noted a half-finger of mocha foam that dissipated quickly with negligible lace. Pitch black.

S - Coffee with cream, maple syrup, a hint of whiskey, roasted malts. It's a lot like regular Breakfast Stout (which is the base beer), but with the obvious maple/whiskey influence.

T - There's a lot more whiskey in the flavor, with a healthy amount of maple syrup, bitter coffee, and roasted malts. Again, it's a slightly richer version of regular Breakfast stout, and the added flavors complement the beer very well.

M - Moderate carbonation the complements the whiskey bite. Medium bodied, very smooth and creamy. It's what I expect from an American Double Stout.

D - The ABV is high, and the flavor is very intense, particularly the coffee bitterness and the whiskey bite. As a result palate fatigue sets in earlier than usual. Other than that, eminently quaffable!

A great variation on an already great beer. Hope this makes it out of the brewpub at some point.

4.83/5  rDev +4.3%

Well, thanks to you (you know who you are), and on a lark I miraculously scored ONE bottle. Coddled and revered with care, poured into a large snifter glass at a good cellar temperature to review. (many comparisons will be made in terms of this vs. on tap).

Appearance is just a flat out knockout mostly because of head formation. A creamy coffee light brown and caramel, small bubbled consistency and forms so nicely. The head has a spectacular character that I have not witnessed before, and pulls the beer over the top in appearance. While holding like a solid stout, in the corner ring collar there is a sheen like film, not gross looking, but like a small soup like skin, that glosses over the edges. The corners of this head with it's hint of legs, and nice leopard lacing, show an edge of just shining polished glass. Just unreal, never seen anything like it. Body color is your standard walnut black/brown, some noticeable carbonation while tilting the glass.

Nose, in comparison on tap, less sweet and way more balanced and enjoyable. Still incredibly roasty and coffee dominant, but a light soft milk sensation and slight sweet cream. Soft notes continue but there is just a faint bit of heat here.

Taste brings a wonderful balance. Coffee dominant but still with a light brown sugar that doesn't overpower. Texture velvety as ever, but palate then gets on the finish miraculously the one thing I have been waiting for in a stout bourbon used barrel. A hint of whiskey. Whiskey angle is not distinct, but there, a slight sense but not so much. Bitterness comes after some warming, mixes with slight boozy spirit whisk(e)y and gives off tobacco just a slight touch. Chocolate, vanilla angles still not quite there, but others I gave it too certainly picked up on chocolate.

Overall, less of a one trick pony out of the bottle, but still coffee dominant and forward but the hint of whisk(e)y just pushes it over the edge, tastes are balanced, varied, highly exploratory, and it's far less sweet which makes it much more tolerable and enjoyable for myself. Just pure magic. I can't say anymore, I drank it all with ease, it was so easy to drink on top of it.

Nothing more needs to be said than has already been.

4.72/5  rDev +1.9%

Opening night at Birch and Barley / Churchkey, special appearance by a white whale of a beer, Canadian Breakfast Stout from Founders on draft.

Served in a snifter, beer looks as you might expect. Black, thick, brown thin head carbonation low to moderate. Head leaves minimal lacing on the glass.

Aroma is very complex. There is a dominant aroma of cream or milk, with hints of wood, chocolate, sweet, some smoke, and a tiny sour note in there as well.

This is one of the most balanced and drinkable beers I have ever had. Seriously. Mouthfeel is good, not too thick, not thin at all. Flavors line up well with the aroma. The beer warmed a bit, probably around 50 - 55 degrees when I was drinking it. The cream flavors come through, in the back there is some, slight, roast, a good balance for sure. Lots of chocolate and some wood notes.

This beer lived up to the hype for me. If you ever get an opportunity to try it, do it. Its amazing.

4.76/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

On tap, the beer is jet black and thick, with a thin, tan head. Aromas of rich cocoa nibs, coffee, vanilla, hints of maple, woody highlights, and a bourbon undertone. Flavors are rich and sweet forward, with bittersweet chocolate blending perfectly with vanilla and maple. Wow! Backbone of subtle coffee, hints of bourbon, and a building warmth. The body is smooth, creamy, and velvety smooth. There is a candy sweet aftertaste of chocolate, maple, and vanilla. It's like an awesome piece of candy. The finish is amazingly smooth, with a subtle roasted coffee and maple linger. This is an amazing beer!

4.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Vintage 2011
12 oz pour into a tulip

A: Inky oily jet black body with a creamy, frothy brown head. The dissipation was somewhat slow, but it left huge amount of lacing and a wonderful cap behind. It doesn't really get much better looking than this for the style.

S: Maple syrup, fresh coffee beans, chocolate, caramel, vanilla and some hints of smoke towards the back end. There's an overall sweetness to the nose that brings all the flavors together quite well. Very nice.

T: Lots of maple syrup up-front, along with plenty of bakers chocolate and coffee. There's a oatmeal-like quality that comes through midway. Vanilla and oak towards the back end, with more sweet maple rounding everything out. This drinks so easy and it's incredibly complex; I loved every sip of it.

M: Smooth and creamy with just the right amount of carbonation. Full-bodied and hearty, this is how I want my Imperial Stouts to feel. A bit sticky in its coating.

I also had the 2010 vintage on-tap at the same time. It was good but lost a lot of the maple syrup flavors I thought made the 2011 standout. A wonderful beer made incredibly well, believe the numbers this one is killer.

4.94/5  rDev +6.7%

A - Midnight black. Khaki head sits low with ok lace and retention.

S - Pure and unbelievably rich dark chocolate, caramel, black coffee, and vanilla.

T - Godiva dark chocolate truffles, vanilla, caramel, outstanding oatmeal notes, toffee, and espresso. This is everything it's cracked up to be. Soft maple note on the backend.

M - Stupidly smooth and incredibly rich. Bitter sweet chocolate melting in your mouth.

O - This was stellar on tap. One of the best beers I've ever had.

4.25/5  rDev -8.2%

On-tap at Stub & Herb's in Minneapolis. The only had a 5 gallon keg awaiting a special tapping, but accidentally confused it with the Dirty Bastard and tapped it early. Alas.

Still, I got a small glass and it was a tasty treat. No, it'd didn't change my world or light up my tastebuds like my favorite beers, but I'd easily say it's near the top of the style. You've got a hint of maple syrup with bourbon and vanilla oak, all paired with rich, delicious coffee - and that's before you even get to the malts. The malt actually just provided a gentle, dry dark chocolate flavor behind all the bigger dessert flavors. A heck of beer and very drinkable for the style, but not a best-in-the-world beer in my opinion. Still, very, very good. I can't stress that enough.

4.8/5  rDev +3.7%

The beer pours a dark black color with a thick frothy brown head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is out of control. It has the regular Breakfast stout scent; chocolate, coffee, oatmeal. It also has a kick ass bourbon aroma with a complimentary maple syrup character. I was told by the owner at EBF that the barrels it aged in were former bourbon barrels soaked in maple syrup. The taste is incredible. It has multiple layers of complexity. The rich chocolate and oatmeal flavors along with a stiff, bitter coffee character, followed up with bourbon and maple syrup flavors. Damn, this is an incredible beer; because of the different tastes involved it's open for folks who don't normally care for dark beers. The mouthfeel is near perfect. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is maybe the best beer on the planet. The KBS was my pick before, but this may overtake it.

4.67/5  rDev +0.9%

A black beer. Period. Creamy off brown head, simple lacing.

Coffee dominant aroma, not quite as strong as the KBS, but this one has more caramel, chocolate and almonds in the background.

Upfront flavor is coffee. Caramel, maple and almond come through in the middle and the end is mostly creamy dark chocolate. Throughout is a soft ripe black plum that provides a bit of a nibble.

Smooth overall. Feel is a touch light for style, yet at 9.4 it's easy to drink.

4.32/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this hand bottle.

The beer pours black with no head. There are a few tan bubbles floating on the surface of the beer. The aroma is great. I get notes of maple syrup, oak, chocolate and roasted malt. The flavor is equally impressive. There is a lot of maple, vanilla, chocolate milk, coffee, roasted malt and the slightest hint of soy sauce. Low carbonation and medium to thick mouthfeel. A great beer that lived up to the hype. Hopefully I will get to try this again.

4.28/5  rDev -7.6%

Deep thin mocha head on a black stout. Incredible lacing and head retention for the style.

Mostly coffee and chocolate but small whiffs of maple. Basically everything it claims is identifiable.

Very smooth. A lot of coffee and chocolate, the maple syrup was muted. Booziness was pretty well hidden.

Medium to medium low carbonation. Medium mouthfeel for the style.

Excellent beer here. Best ever? Worth all the commotion that went on after its release? With all the different beers out there, who knows. First time I've had CBS is over two years. Thanks 4DAloveofSTOUT!

4.4/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Founders 15th Anniversary Party, served in a snifter MANY times over.

Black with a medium brown head, leaves a ring of retention and dense lacing. Nose of hazelnut, light maple, bourbon, cocoa and bakers chocolate. Taste has more bourbon, maple, chocolate, rum soaked raisins and more hazelnut. Mouthfeel is medium heavy, but not as heavy as I expected. Great flavour all around - the highlight of the anniversary party, end up having about half a dozen servings of this.

Had this at the brewpub, and at first thought it was very good ( as claimed/reported). But as it warmed slightly it began to evolve into a delicious highly (dangerously) drinkable draft. I have had many Founders brews, but this was so exceptional, and so remarkable that I now believe this is as goos as it gets. It has an exceptionally good nose, followed by a perfect mouth. The flavor is, let's face it, just out and out delicious. Hints of vanilla and wood, then the maple...soft, subtle but not overwhelming...just perfectly complementary.
I may have to move to Michigan!

4.87/5  rDev +5.2%

Served on-tap at the Southphillytaproom in a wine glass. I jumped at the chance to get this offering from Founders.

A- The Canadian version is just as black and thick looking as the other version. Black as the night with a fairly sturdy dark tan head that loked yummy by itself. Some small spotty patches of lace on the way down.

S- This smells like pure bliss, and reminisant of an early Sunday breakfast with the family. Deep sweet roasted coffee backed with a good amount of roasted malt. Maple syrup is not spared and is right up there with the coffee, they make a good couple. Chocolate as well but not as prominent.

T- This is great, exactly what I needed. The maple syrup takes the lead and is sweet and yummy. The roasted coffee is not far behind and is almost making me cry at how well it melds with the coffee giving off a very sweet taste. Some vanilla from the barrels which I did not smell. Chocolate as well. I did not really pick up on any oatmeal from the base beer but that's probably cause I was focused on the main flavors.

M- Very sweet and a bit chewy. This one has a full body with ample carbonation. This one really blows your palette away probably because of it's super freshness. A sipper for sure, it would be wrong to gulp down this wonderful creation. Just like with regular breakfast and KBS a very nice feel on this.

D- I wish I was not driving as I would of had another and probably another. I sipped this gem throughout my meal and it worked both with the entree and as a desert beer. This is the real deal and fingers crossed that more gets made soon. Get on this if you have the chance.

3.76/5  rDev -18.8%

This beer pours a full bodied midnight black with dark brown highlights and a beige lacing around my glass. It smells like a Breakfast Stout, a lot of bitter coffee with moderate chocolate. I don't get any bourbon notes at all. The flavors featured are very sweet maple syrup, smooth chocolates, and bitter coffee. It's really not that complex and is overly sweet. It's a maple bomb. I wish it was far more subdued. It drinks medium to full in body. It's a nice drinker but its sooo sweet. It's holding it back. As it stands this beer is vastly overrated and inferior when compared to FBS and KBS. Recognize.

Edit: After having both this and Wide Awake It's Morning, I'm sure the two are related. It makes me want to try the Maple Bacon Coffee Porter to see if it's in the middle.

4.17/5  rDev -9.9%

Hand-bottle (gonna call this a growler) brought over at Friday night's tasting by Ditmier... huge thanks Eric... Poured into my small La Trappe glass.

Expected black beer... no light even when held to the bright kitchen overhead... dark tan head doesn't stick around ... descent cap.

Aroma is chocolate and coffee.. no real "maple syrup" and no vanilla... the "wood" aspect of it does remind me of the smell of maple wood... I know that sounds weird it is what it is.

Flavor has a great blast of roasty chocolate, but not as much coffee as I was expecting... much more vanilla than the nose... The above "maple wood" aroma is more pronounced than the nose... The body is pretty hefty with still a nice smooth carbonation that helps make this a very nice sipper.

Edit: I figured I had better describe the "maple wood" sensations I mentioned above... I can only make sense of it when I describe it to the Sonoran 100... that brew was filtered slowly through maple chips... The wood adds a unique sweetness that doesn't have the astringency/tannic notes associated with some wood aged beers.

I really wanted to like this one more, but it just seemed pretty one dimensional to me.

Thanks again Eric for going out of your way to bring this beer to Boise.... truly appreciated.... You're a good BA. :-)

4.64/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Founders CBS

Pours a dark tar black with a small short
livid head. Aroma of coffee, booze, syrup and chocolate. In the taste, aggressive bourbon, roast, coffee, oak and a pronounced alcohol burn. The stout qualities are there, with a black roast flavor and boozey barrel notes. At the end of the sip there is a sugary residual sweetness due to the maple syrup, along with an astringent bitterness from the hops, coffee and bourbon. Mouthfeel is full bodied and well carbonated. Overall, a treat of a beer and worth seeking. Enjoyed at Fat Heads Brewers Brunch 2011.

4.67/5  rDev +0.9%

Review from various notes and thoughts from trying this at EBF, around Philly a few times and recently at ChurchKey in DC.

First off, I'm leaving my ChurchKey experience out of this since this beer on opening night there was oddly sour (and not the last beer I've had there that has been "off"). Appearance wise doesn't differentiate itself much from KBS, thick opaque black liquid with a thin deep tan/mocha head that fades quickly but leaves ok lacing.

Aroma is very similar to KBS, but not as boozy or coffee forward. Dominated by sweet notes of vanilla, oak, maple, sugars, etc with a mild coffee background. The maple is as strong or noticeable as the vanilla or bourbon and oak aromas, or as expected going into the beer. That's not a bad thing, as I prefer this aroma over KBS. Mouthfeel is very nice, thick, chewy, low carbonation, not overly boozy, very silky smooth. Flavors are similar to KBS but a little sweeter from the maple and a little more mellowed out. All the same notes from the aroma and the finish lingers forever. In the end I still prefer the KBS for the stronger flavors and less sweetness, but this is a very complex and pleasing beer and hopefully this will continue to make regular appearances on tap.

Founders CBS Imperial Stout from Founders Brewing Company