Founders Doom | Founders Brewing Company

Founders DoomFounders Doom

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Previously known as Hand of Doom.

Doom may be impending but that doesn't mean you have to fear it. A collision of worlds, the intense hop character of our Imperial IPA mingles with the warm vanilla and oak notes imparted from the time spent in our favorite bourbon barrels. Like all good things, Doom comes to those who wait.

Added by CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

Ratings: 2,139 |  Reviews: 466

1.5/5  rDev -63.2%

1.62/5  rDev -60.3%

Well thankfully everyone else seems to have enjoyed this one. I on the other hand (and everyone one else drinking it with me at the same time), did not.

Pours nice enough I guess with a clouded gold. Everything is downhill from there. All I get is a burning sensation as if the beer was mixed with rubbing alcohol or some solvent. I guess the barrel is to blame for this, but it is completely abrasive and undrinkable. All DIPA characteristics are also overshadowed by this harsh bite. Hopefully this was just a bad keg, but I waited 15 minutes in line at a bar to get this and there were 7 Founders employees in the house (all of whom got to skip in front of us waiting in line lol...). There is really no excuse for this one. Atrocious.

1.75/5  rDev -57.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

1.97/5  rDev -51.7%
look: 5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

2.08/5  rDev -49%

A - a typical, nice IPA color. Orange, caramel like color with a small white head that fades quickly. Thin white lacing .

S - the bourbon and vanilla are right up front with small traces of maltiness underneath. I didn't pick up any traces of floral smell as I was expecting. I figured it wouldn't be a main aroma with this beer but thought there'd be small traces of it, but I didn't pick up any.

T - in the first sip I took I tasted nothing but vanilla. Each drink i took after it was nothing but bourbon. There was an IPA bitterness to the beer but the bourbon and vanilla dominates this beer. The flavors didn't really work well for me.

M - left a dry, bitter finish. the taste of vanilla was leftover after each drink but faded pretty fast.

O- I flat out did not like this beer. I was weary to begin with about an IPA aged in bourbon barrels and how the bourbon and vanilla flavors would interact with the floral, possibly citrus flavor of the hops but this beer just might be the worst I've ever had. My buddy with whom I split the bottle with said he got the flavor of Robitussin. I am usually a fan of Founders and like most of their stuff, but this one needs to go away and never come back.

2.19/5  rDev -46.3%

I love Founders. Need to start off by saying that. But this just didn't work for me. I love imperial IPAs but this thing was just a booze monster. I know it was aged in bourbon barrels (a trend that needs to end already) but the aging imparted WAY too much booze to the beer. The hops were kind of noticeable but the bourbon/alcohol aspect totally dominated this brew. I admire them for trying something different but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

2.25/5  rDev -44.9%

2.25/5  rDev -44.9%

2.45/5  rDev -40%

Kept refrigerated since purchased at release. 750ml capped bottle.

A slightly hard pour gives this a huge white head. Hazy golden body picks up some orange hue at the widest points of the glass. Lacing is good but not as good as other similar beers.

Aroma is biscuity, sweet, doughy. Hint of bourbon. As this warms and gets lower in the snifter the hops sneak through but are still dominated by sweetness.

Taste matches. Almost a cloying malt sweetness which is very offputting. Very low bitterness. Doughy. Vanilla sweetness, likely from the barrel. Some fleeting hop flavor on the finish, along with some barrel and bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied. Carbonation is good. Alcohol is very well hidden. The finish seems astringent and that feeling lingers.

Overall this is a very mediocre beer. Hop presence is low, the sweetness is almost entirely unbalanced, and the barrel seems to add sharpness rather than complexity. Reminds me more of an imperial Kentucky Bourbon Ale than a respectable offering from Founders. I couldn't recommend this to anyone but the sweetest of sweet tooths - it is a borderline drain-pour for me.

2.46/5  rDev -39.7%

Ok the beer looks good when poured into a glass with a rich thick head. The aroma is strange but not totally unattractive. The taste...well this bourbon bomb is not my cup of tea. The hop character in nonexistent and the aftertaste is repulsive. This is the perfect beer if your stranded in the Congo and are being eaten alive by insects as this insect repellant of a beer would save you. I should have buried this in the back yard as a time capsule for generations to discover in the future to see just how far civilization has come.

Bottom Line: taste test this against a can of raid!

2.48/5  rDev -39.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance is gold and clear. Good white head that stays the entire glass.

Smell is creamy vanilla. Cake icing. Not much hop at all.

Taste is overpowering creamy vanilla with just a touch of bitter hops at the finish. Sweet.

Mouthfeel is moderately thick, but very smooth.

Overall I absolutely did ot want to finish this beer. The vanilla was cloying, the lack of any real hops for a DIPA was suprising. A sweet vanilla-bomb.

Founders Doom from Founders Brewing Company