Founders Doom | Founders Brewing Company

Founders DoomFounders Doom

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Previously known as Hand of Doom.

Doom may be impending but that doesn't mean you have to fear it. A collision of worlds, the intense hop character of our Imperial IPA mingles with the warm vanilla and oak notes imparted from the time spent in our favorite bourbon barrels. Like all good things, Doom comes to those who wait.

Added by CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

Ratings: 1,917 |  Reviews: 401
4.26/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Golden, well-carbonated, and slightly hazy. Fluffy white foam atop the mug.

Smells of citrus and pine, hops, and an earthy woody element that wraps it all together.

It sips like an IPA, but finishes like a Bourbon. You get the hops from the nose, without the bite. The hoppiness is actually much mellower than I thought they would be. Instead being sharp and in your face, the time in the barrels gave it more depth and complexity. As you continue to drink it, it tastes less like an IPA, and more like a bottle of Jack Daniels.

This is an rare and pricey beer, and I suppose you really need to be a Founders lover to know where to snag a bottle. It's worth a try, but I wish it came in a less expensive, smaller bottle. It becomes monotonous after a while, and when the bottle is that big, it becomes a chore. Probably won't re-visit it based on the price, unless I was sharing it with a friend.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

4.12/5  rDev +1%

A: Pours a very clear amber with a big frothy offwhite head adorning it. Head fades slowly with top notch lacing. Good head retention to boot.

S: Really nice combination of hops and bourbon character, neither is overpowering however. Notable citrus, pine and resin from the hops. Caramel and vanilla from the barrel.

T: Nice pungent hoppiness up front with some citrus (grapefruit it would appear?) and some pine and resin. Bourbon mixes with it initially, with some sweetening caramel. Again, neither dominates, this isn't a huge west coast IPA or some barrel-obliterated monster. They work together surprisingly well. Sweetness from the barrel and the malt fades, leaving a sudden wave of bitterness from the hops along with a fresh burst of flavor. Finish and aftertaste is lots of bitter hops and drying oak barrel. Hops are oily, resinous and mouthcoating here.

M: Nice full body with an oily, drying finish.

O: Huh, I've had some barrel aged IPAs before and to be honest they've all been fairly crap. Just doesn't seem like a style that works well. Leave it to Founders to find a way to make it work. Nicely balanced with nice layers of flavors. Not the best beer ever but given the style I think it's an amazing job.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I picked up a bottle of Founder's Doom a couple weeks ago for 12.99 at The Lager Mill. I'm a big fan of Double Trouble and I'm interested to see how the Bourbon barrels work with the base DIPA, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, this was a late spring release from the Backstage Series, it isn't super fresh, but it isn't old either. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it's pretty simple but it has a nice clean and classy look it. It poured a nice slightly clear golden yellow color that took on some nice orange hues when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy slightly off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left tons of sticky lacing behind. This is one great looking beer, the color, head and lacing were all really good looking.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the bourbon barrels, there's some nice vanilla, oak, and wood aromas with a lower medium amount of bourbon coming through that doesn't seems to smell boozy. Up next comes some big and juicy tropical and citrus fruit hops aromas with no one fruit sticking out with some piney aromas in the background. Towards the end I get a light butterscotch aroma. The aroma was pretty good, the tropical and citrus hops seems to blend nicely with those great aromas that the barrel imparted.

T- The taste seems to fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with some caramel and dark bread like malt flavors that give way to some nice barrel flavors with some vanilla, oak, and bourbon coming through that has a little more booze to it then did in the aroma and it's a little warming. On the finish comes the hops which take on a pretty noticeable piney flavor with some citrus hops showing up a little in the background with a medium amount of bitterness and a oak and vanilla like aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, but the hops weren't as juicy and fruity as I would like.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, a little crisp, slightly sticky, on the slightly fuller side of being medium bodied, with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation that was slightly fizzy. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good a beer and a good example of the style, the barrel aspect wasn't too overpowering and blends well with the hop profile, but it lost a good amount of that juicy citrus and tropical fruit hop aspect from the aroma which made the finish fall a little short. This beer had decent drinkability, I could drink a whole bottle to myself, but this is the type of beer that I wouldn't mind sharing so half a bottle is good with me. What I like the most about this beer is how balanced the barrel aspect is, Founders has some skills when it comes to barrel aging beers and it really shows in this odd clash of styles, I got a lot of nice barrel flavors and aromas without all the booze that sometimes comes with it. What I like the least about this beer was how muted the hops were when I got to the taste, the barrel must have cut down on some of the juicy and tropical fruit hop flavors, I missed that, and I wish there was a way that the hop profile wouldn't lose it's intensity by going in the barrels. I don't know if I would another bottle if they released this again, it's solid but it is a little pricey, but I could see myself ordering a glass of it if I saw it on tap, I would recommend this beer to anybody who is a fan of barrel aged beer since I felt the barrel is really represented well in this beer. All in All I liked this beer, I thought it was good, but it wasn't as great as I think it could have been, being such a big fan of Double Trouble the somewhat muted hop flavors left me wanting a little more, but I was completely satisfied with the barrel aspect of this beer. I have had a couple Barrel Aged IPA's and while this isn't my favorite, it's a good beer nonetheless, I have a feeling that we will be seeing more of this style in the future. Good job Founders, If anybody could nail the barrel aspect in an IPA it's you guys and that just what they did, but the hops left me wanting a little more. I really like how creative Founders is, they showed they can take risks and I'm all for future experiments, keep up the great works guys.

3.89/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a sam adams utopia glass. Purchased at Wakefield Liquors in Wakefield, RI.

A- Pours a clear amber body with a 2 finger white head that reduces slowly to chunky foam. Leaves spotty lacing.

S- Lots of pine, resin and I definitely get the bourbon baarrel notes, including caramel, vanilla, and subtle whiskey. Smells pretty nice.

T- Tastes like a very malt-forward DIPA with pine, citrus, resin notes and finishes with both the vanilla/caramel notes of bourbon and a pretty astringent feeling from the hops. A little cloying.

M- Medium body, medium carbonation. Not the easiest drinker.

This beer would be a lot better without the overly bitter, astringent hops that dominate the bourbon character. I am cellaring one for at least a year to see if they tame.

4.12/5  rDev +1%

A twelve ounce bottle dated 4/28/17 poured in my Doom Teku style glass from the last release.

Look- Pours a transparent sparkling copper color leaving a finger of creamy off white foam. It slowly settles revealing heavy sticky looking lacing.

Smell- Bourbon, fresh cut flowers and oak.

Taste- Floral hops dominate along with some pine then followed by smooth bourbon. There's a slight corn taste in the finish along with prominent oak.

Feel- Resiny slick with a semi dry finish. A bit of noticeable alcohol heat can be felt in your gut.

Overall- I liked this beer in the past and I still do. I'm not the biggest fan of barrel aged IPA's but this one works for me. The taste reminds me somewhat of The Oracle with a little age on it. Yeah, strange? It's another from the Barrel Series that's not going to please everyone, but put me in the camp that likes it. It works in a strange way!

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from bottle into a tulip , golden wheat field color to this beer , one finger head with spotty lacing

The smell on this one is a mixture of floral and citrus hops with the bourbon and oak coming in and taking over pretty quick

The feel of this beer is as expected , maybe a little over carbonated for my taste but not too bad

The taste is very nice , the hops kind of hit you forward then the bourbon kicks in with the oak in the background , very nice but the balance of this beer is kind of loopy

Over all a complex beer that is for sure different from anything I have had before , not really sure what to compare it too but I would buy it again , well trade for it again I guess.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%