Founders Doom | Founders Brewing Company

Founders DoomFounders Doom

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Previously known as Hand of Doom.

Doom may be impending but that doesn't mean you have to fear it. A collision of worlds, the intense hop character of our Imperial IPA mingles with the warm vanilla and oak notes imparted from the time spent in our favorite bourbon barrels. Like all good things, Doom comes to those who wait.

Added by CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

Ratings: 2,014 |  Reviews: 432
4.21/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750ml poured into a snifter, cooled in the fridge for about 2.5 hours before serving. I was very surprised to snag this one off the shelf at a local shop today, thought these were long gone.

A- Looks like Double Trouble. Pours a clear and bubbly light orange/ amber color. A half finger of off-white head sticks around for awhile before forming along the side. Some lacing is also noted.

S- All I really get in the smell is some slight citrus notes, like a faded DIPA. There is some very slight sweet vanilla notes too as the beer warms. No bourbon to speak of in the smell for me.

T- Sweet malty opening gives way to some piney and citrus hops. I also get some oakiness with vanilla toward the back of each taste. The alcohol is noted and this one is drinking kind of hot right now, which isn't necessarily bad.

M- Smooth yet very bitter and dry finish, well carbonated. This beer is still very hoppy.

Though it's good I was expecting more from the barrel aging, but I guess I don't know what I was expecting since I've never had a BA DIPA. It is a good beer however and I'm going to try and get my hands on another to age. I'm interested to find out what happens to this beer when the hops fade.

3.79/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle, thanks to Andygirl. Cheers Andrea! My bottle says 10%abv.

A- pours a clear light gold, +1 finger head of foam, impressive lacing ensues.

S- this smells very bitter. Lots of citrus with some fruit and then...some sweets move in and then..the Bourbon. A lot going on with all these aromas.

T- starts off with a mix of bitter and sweet, hoppy and malty in other words, Bourbon sneaks in with some vanilla character, finishes more on the bitter side...man, this is what you call dank. I like how the Bourbon doesn't over power everything else. Lots of warming in the tummy after the swallow.

M- close to full bodied with medium carbonation

O- a very interesting take on a IIPA, tasty for sure and I'm glad I got a chance to try it, but it's not really that much up my alley. Nice burps though.

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

3.5/5  rDev -14%

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

3.84/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a pale golden color with glowing orange highlights. The body has decent clarity although a touch of haze is present. A thick finger plus of dense creamy white foam shows excellent staying power falling to leave behind lots of foamy lace on the glass.

S - Sugary sweet malt base with plenty of citrus hop character. Vanilla and sweet bourbon aroma and light booziness. More bourbon than hops but both exercise good overall balance and appropriate intensity.

T - Good hop bitterness up front that gives the beer an overall bitter character. Bourbon comes on behind the hops with noticeable booziness. Potent woody flavors and smooth vanilla. Bready malt finds its way thru to the finish. Barely noticeable citrusy hop flavors. Barrel aspects overpower the DIPA base, maybe a bit too much. I find the flavors clash a bit and create a bit of a medicinal bitter flavor overall.

M - Body is medium-full. Carbonation is medium-high, finely bubbled and a bit creamy feeling. Hop bitterness, wood, bourbon, booze dominate. After the swallow, citrusy hops linger into the aftertaste a bit, finally fading off and leaving behind the medicinal bitterness that I get on each sip.

O - This might be one DIPA that could use a little age...not something I would typically say. The hops really are overpowered by the barrel treatment and I find the combination of booze, wood, hops is giving a medicinal impression. Beer is rather dry overall also - from start to finish...actually think this could benefit from a bit more sweetness...some more malty, sugary flavors would suit this well. Perhaps I am asking more for a BA barleywine out of this. Good beer, but it doesn't hit the mark the way Hand of Doom did at EBF a couple years back - that really had more hop flavor and aroma and blew me away. Falls somewhere between super fresh and hoppy DIPA in barrels and a bit too hoppy BA barleywine. Too old...not old enough? Not really sure, but if another bottle finds its way to me, think I will hold on to it for a while and see what some age does to this.

4.96/5  rDev +21.9%

A: a light golden color without much head.

S: Oak, bourbon, vanilla, buttered popcorn, balanced out with tropical fruit, papaya, guappa, grapefruit, and pineapple. after being overwhelmed by these flavors they mellow out and a floral and spicy characteristic come through. intriguing.

T: Once again, vanilla initially dominates. Then comes the bourbon and spicy rye. Then it becomes earthy and floral with a big dry finish. West coast pine is all over this thing.

M: smooth, creamy with a little burn on the end.

O: WOW! i don't know about everyone else but i truly loved this beer. Loved it. i didn't to like it this much but its hard not to love bourbon and oak mixed with an IPA. It has some crazy flavor that is all over the map. delicious. /98

Founders Doom from Founders Brewing Company