Doom | Founders Brewing Company

DoomDoom

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Previously known as Hand of Doom.

Doom may be impending but that doesn't mean you have to fear it. A collision of worlds, the intense hop character of our Imperial IPA mingles with the warm vanilla and oak notes imparted from the time spent in our favorite bourbon barrels. Like all good things, Doom comes to those who wait.

Added by CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

Ratings: 2,227 |  Reviews: 496
3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

4.21/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750 ml poured into my snifter. This is my first Backstage that I had to wait for, from announcement to release. It was awful, but worth it.

A - great looking beer. Pours like gold, yellows and greens on top that settle orange in the bottom of the glass. Very little head, even off the forced pour, not unexpected from an aged beer.

S - subtle, but tasty. I get only traces of the hop profile from the initial whiff, but the bourbony sweetness is heavy throughout. Actually, it's a little bitter, almost chemical, towards the end, which isn't super pleasant.

T - I expect to find that same bitter unpleasantness, and I do for a moment, but it recedes into the bourbon barrel taste. Actually, the nice thing about the BBA DIPA is that it isn't overwhelming in the mouth. The flavors here are subtle and blend nicely, not one thing stands out in particular. Still, it's not my favorite taste, just balanced.

M - good, though a little booze heavy. The bourbon imparts sweetness, but it's not viscous at all. Hardly any carbonation.

O - a good brew, but not one that I would regularly pay $17.99 for. (I understand that that's lower than some, but still.) Founders has better seasonal barrel age stuff to go in for, and surely better barrel age releases to follow in their Backstage.

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

4.51/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Found a bottle of this at HyVee. The beer stores sold out right away. I quickly snatched it up and am drinking it as soon as I get home.

Poured a pretty clear golden color. Not overly heady but good lacing.

Immediate nose is oak/whiskey barrel with vanilla and booze.

Taste: Quite a nice twist to others. Plenty of bourbon flavor but also a nice hops profile. This is not on the Cascade side, it is more tropical and mellow. Some of the hop intensity probably mellowed with aging. You know what, that is OK once in a while. Other hints of sweetness and vanilla finish this out.

Mouthfeel is a true delight. Very creamy with average carbonation. I like this.

A very distinctive and enjoyable drink. I can't think of whiskey barrel aged IPA that I have had. Too bad it is limited to a few bottles.

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

3.96/5  rDev -2.9%

Glad to get one of the few bottles that Roger has over at Bestway.Poured into an imperial nonic a...like others have notes a honey tinged lighter golden with a nicely formed half finger white head atop that left multiple broken rings of lace behind as it settled.Aromas were lighter than expected but some nice vanilla/bourbon and sweet fruity notes were there,the hops were somewhat subdued giving off light resiny notes.One thing I will say about the flavor profile is that the bourbon barrel is a major flavor component but it doesn't smack you in the face,all the flavors seem to be more subtle but still providing enough.The hops are more leafy and slightly citric,a good shot of peppery spice hits in the back end.Not in your face bourbon or alcohol in my opinion but neither are the hops,a very good beer with out big hops.

4.14/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A – A vibrant, translucent, golden orange with a nice slightly-creamy head and lacing. It’s an attractive beer; it's just the color I like to see in my IPA/IIPA.

S – Bourbon booze, charred wood, and some slight earthy legumes in the background. The hops are certainly in the backseat. Pine and slight sweet citrus with a bit of candied lemon peel as it warms.

T – At first, it feels a bit muddled. There’s a big bourbon booze burn in the finish. The warmth that lingers is nice and woody followed by the hop bitterness. So far, I think the finish is the highlight of this brew.

M – Very smooth… Velvety and coats the tongue well.

O – Double Trouble is not my favorite IIPA, but I have a lot of faith in Founders. Also, I have to admit that it went really well with my spicy Chilean baked fish. I’ve got another bottle, so I’ll be interested to see what happens to this one over time. I think it’s a little too booze heavy, so I’m hoping that mellows out and allows some of the other flavors to not be over powered.

2.77/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

It looks like an IPA and has the clarity to match. NIce orange color, smallish head when poured that dissipates quickly. Nice lacing as you drink it down, though.

Upon first smell, bourbon comes through front and center. I think the bourbon smell overpowers everything else. If you think long and hard while you're smelling, you can detect the hops slightly and the malt/bread smell even more slightly.

Bourbon comes through on the taste as well. But as you drink it, the hops leaves that familiar bitter feeling on the back of your tongue. But the hops does not come through over the bourbon flavor. You more sense the hops presence than actually taste the hops.

Mouthfeel is good, nice carbonation, nice body. I enjoyed tasting this one, but it leaves me wishing for a true DIPA rather than feeling like I just did a shot of bourbon, tastewise. Glad I tried it but probably won't try it again.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served out of a 750ml bottle in to a Weyerbacher tulip glass.

A: Nice 1 1/2 fingers of soft white head. Deep amber color. Nice stream of carbonation. Amazing lacing.

Ar: Bourbon, vanilla, oak, hops on the backend.

T: The vanilla is dominant for me. I also get some hops, bourbon, earthy wood, and a mild spice. Some how these flavors all work together. I have no idea how Founder's pulled this off, but it has a very pleasant blend of flavor. 10% ABV is very subtle.

M: Creamy for an IPA. Moderate carbonation.

Overall: This beer was a pleasant surprise. It is nicely balanced. I loved the vanilla notes that are produced. The hops, oak, and bourbon all blend nicely together. I'll be honest I was expecting this to be a hot mess, but it wasn't. It does remind me slightly of an BBA American Barleywine to some extent, kinda like Bolt Cutter junior without the maple.

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

4.07/5  rDev -0.2%

A - clear, dark goldish amber with a thin, soft, white head

S - sweet malt, faint cupcake batter, bourbon, woody

T - sweet malt, faint birthday cake batter, woody, earthy, bourbon, alcohol, mildly bitter finish

M - medium to full bodied, warm, smooth, well carbonated

This is an interesting beer. The bourbon barrels definitely impart their flavors on this IPA. The bourbon is forward and intense. The barrels add some woodyness as well. The malt character is almost perfect for what needed to be done to add balance to this beer. The hops, however, are a bit subdued and don't come through over the intense bourbon notes. Overall, this is an intense beer that is worth trying but to me it's more of a strong ale than a DIPA.

4.14/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

750 ml bottle served into a snifter, tasted side by side with Double Trouble. It pours a light hazy orange with a quality head that leaves nice legs and lacing.

The first thing i get on the nose is sweet bourbon. There is also lots of oak, vanilla, and a bit of tropical hops. Doom has the same body as double trouble, but with a vicious boozy bite. The fruity hops are still there along but it's dominated by vanilla, bourbon, and oak. Edit: It tastes like cheap bourbon as it warms.

I was skeptical going in but Founders can pull anything off.

4.08/5  rDev 0%

The beer pours a rich looking tangerine colored orange with a razor thin white head that fades into a thin halo. There are huge notes of candied pineapple, mango, passion fruit, with a touch of coconut from the barrel. The taste is relatively fruity and woody, with a great bitter aftertaste, but possibly a bit overboard on the barrel. There is a disappointing amount of distinct bourbon in the taste as well. The mouthfeel is relatively syrupy sweet, like sugar coated hops, followed by a slightly barrel-aged sweetness, residual bitterness, and very little alcohol. It's surprisingly approachable and drinkable, although a bit astringent still. This is definitely a potent barrel-aged DIPA that packs in big tropical fruitiness and some subtle barrel characteristics without being completely overbearing and undrinkable.

Doom from Founders Brewing Company