Founders Doom | Founders Brewing Company

Founders DoomFounders Doom

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Previously known as Hand of Doom.

Doom may be impending but that doesn't mean you have to fear it. A collision of worlds, the intense hop character of our Imperial IPA mingles with the warm vanilla and oak notes imparted from the time spent in our favorite bourbon barrels. Like all good things, Doom comes to those who wait.

Added by CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

Ratings: 1,909 |  Reviews: 399
4.24/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

3.86/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.08/5  rDev 0%

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

Happy Father's day to me!

A: A dark amber color, very hazy, but with a large white head.

S: First whiff if tropical fruit with peach and pineapple, followed by vanilla, a touch of booze, and more fruitiness.

T: Lots of bourbon in the taste. Bourbon, oak and vanilla come out right away, then the flavor of tropical fruit comes in with pineapple, and orange zest. The finish is earthy bitterness, and a touch of vanilla. It does hide the alcohol fairly well.

M: Medium thick feel, with fairly high carbonation, and a significant bitter cling to it.

O: Overall, I am not sure if I am convinced that the tropical fruitiness of the hops melds with the bourbon character. It is good, but it's a lot of competing flavors, rather than flavors melding together. Good, interesting, but not outstanding.

"What, will the line stretch out to the crack of doom?"
-MacBeth

3.99/5  rDev -2.2%

4.07/5  rDev -0.2%

3.1/5  rDev -24%

Boozy.... Boozy.... Boozy....

Like a big barleywine...

Did I mention it was boozy? Nothing subtle here... Bourbon, hops, booze, toffee.... Damn...

Just don't get this one...at least not yet. I'm aging the other two for a couple of years to see if it mellows out

Coconut

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

4.14/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Had this out the bottle. I like Founders but I think this guy needs to be aged a bit. Came off really hot to me when I had it. I almost didn't finish it due to that. Still give it a go. I just expected more to be honest.

3.86/5  rDev -5.4%

Looks inviting. Taste I'd impressively fresh and not of stale hops I was expecting. It's thin and hot. Overall, cool novelty founders but this beer isn't very good.

4.89/5  rDev +19.9%

With all that alcohol and oak-y vanilla flavors how did Founders get so much hops in here? This is a great beer, really a barlywine but I'm not complaining. This does get very interesting as it warms up, much softer mouthfeel and it is definately a sipper for me. I'll enjoy this for a 1/2 hour poured from a 12oz bottle. Great news - a keg of this is being tapped at my local next week, can't wait! Update review then, always prefer my reviews from draft rather than bottle when I can.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a clear copper with a minimal head that leaves lots of lacing. The first note I get in both smell and taste is oak, followed by vanilla. Next the hops become quite evident with a fair amount of pine and bitterness, notes of orange and sweet malts. Medium bodied lightly carbonated, finishes moderately dry, lightly carbonated. Unique and enjoyable.

4.09/5  rDev +0.2%

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I'm not a big IPA but this being by Founders and barrel aged piqued my interest, so when I saw a four pack I grabbed it. Poured a 5/3/17 12 ouncer into a tulip. Color was an orangish copper with a small head. Could smell slightly the barrel and vanilla with a hoppy IPA aroma. Taste was a big surprise as the barrel blending mixing with the hops gave it initially a type of butterscotch flavor, which subsequently faded back into the hops, with a minimum of alcohol burn.

I still prefer other Founders offerings but this was very enjoyable.

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%