Cerise

Summer
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
CeriseCerise
Notes:
Reviews: 608 | Ratings: 1,513 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by milliCAN:
3.56/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Violently poured into a tulip.

This beer looks like dessert. A nice red tint to the foamy head.

It smells of wet lumber to me but in the best way possible, like walking outside after a rain to go back to splitting logs.

The taste is a pleasant tart and a dry finish like a Malbec. As it warms up I have a hard time not downing it in large gulps.

Overall I like this beer a lot.I wish I had more.

3.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.2/5  rDev -12.1%

12 oz bottle

A: Deep, hazy pink under nearly no head to speak of. Some lace, no retention.

S: Mostly a faint malt and tart cherry. Nothing too great.

T: Malty with a decent tart, sour cherry mixed in. A bit grapefruit like at times. Again, nothing too great.

M/D: Light bodied, prickly carbonation but seems appropriate. OK drinkability. A good bit of cherry, but the taste is just too off make this a very drinkable beer.

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

On-tap at Sheffield's in Chicago

A: Pinkish-red hue with not much head.

S: Some tartness on the nose, but this beer isn't giving much off in for me to pick up.

T: While drinking this beer, I'm struck by the wonderful balance of tart and sweet cherry. It's not that the taste is directly in the middle of the two, but rather that both sides are present and working together nicely. Cinnamon, and cherry pie spices round out the experience as you exhale.

M: Nice tart tingle, with an overall light feel in the mouth

D: Quite drinkable and quenching. I could easily drink several and be content.

3.89/5  rDev +6.9%

It a very nice dark cherry like aroma that is not overly sweet. There are some malt and hops tones to the aroma as well. The head disappears quickly down to a thin line with minimal lace. The body has dark red hue. The flavor is well balanced. The beer has a good cherry flavor without the fruitiness being overly present. There is a fruity bitterness with some grain esters. The body has a medium and smooth mouthfeel.

2.49/5  rDev -31.6%

Bottled 13 May 2011.

Pours clear, a slightly reddish deep amber color. Is the red just my imagination, or is it actually there. I still can't tell. Fluffy off-white head with a pinkish hue. Good retention and lacing.

Smells of sweet malts and tart cherries, with some kind of weirdness lurking in the background. That weirdness has a chemical feel to it, though I can't identify it, and really doesn't make me excited about drinking it.

Tastes starts out tangy and fruity, a bit like a powdered drink mix. Then tart cherries come through, but are quickly displaced by an odd bitterness that doesn't fit well in the beer and really puts me off. It's got that same chemical air to it that I picked up in the smell, and it sticks to the back corners of my tongue. Finish is dry but persistent, and dominated by that chemical bitterness, which lasts for way longer than I want it to. Feel like I need a glass of water, or a better beer, to rinse it out.

Mouthfeel is fairly light but syrupy, a little sticky. Medium carbonation, could probably use some more. Finish is an odd combination of drying and sticky - I'm almost convinced it's going away, but then it grabs on tight and stays there, just barely detectable.

A bitter fruit beer? Yuck. Not sure if that's what they intended, but I am most definitely not a fan of this. It has an odd combination of flavors that just don't work well together at all. By far the worst beer I've had from Founders. Compared to my standard for cherry beers (NG Wisconsin Belgian Red), this isn't on the same planet.

2.49/5  rDev -31.6%

A - Looks very cool, pink with light pink/white head. Not a typical color for a beer, which is very unique.

S - Light smell of cherries, but sweet cherries, not tart like I was hoping. Other than that, there isn't a whole lot to the smell of this beer.

T - Sickly sweet with no tartness to balance this out. If this had the nice tartness of a typical cherry, I wouldn't be nearly as disappointed. I don't like the taste of this.

M - The mouthfeel might be the one redeeming quality of this beer, it finishes clean and crisp.

Overall, this beer is a disappointment. I can confidently say that this is the first time I've ever been disappointed by a Founders beer. Unfortunately, this is a drain pour, which is a first for Founders.

3.43/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a rusty reddish with a foamy off-white head that also seems to have a slight tinge of red, although neither is as pink as I expected them to be. The aroma is a little grainy, a little candy sweet, and a little herbal. The flavor has a light and dryly sweet malt base with the distinctly cherry flavor adding both more sweetness but also a bit of tartness that really saves this beer from being too syrupy sweet. The texture has a champagne-like carbonation that adds yet another something different.

Overall, this beer tastes as if an old bottle of cherry 7-up got left in a dusty corner of the pantry for a few years only to be discovered by an eleven-year-old boy and his friends while they pretended to be international spies. Still in character, the boy agreed to take a drink from the dusty old bottle because it was the antidote for the neurotoxin he had been given by a double-agent from Algeria. Expecting it to be flat and stale, he was surprised to find that it retained much of its original character, with both a crisp refreshing effervescence and a light sugary sweetness. He also found, however, that the age had done something strange and wonderful by giving it an intriguing tartness and an only barely noticeable fermented kick.

The imaginary antics of a young boy and his friends aside, I found this beer to be a nice change-of-pace that I don't need to have too often but that I would certainly be willing to try again.

3.22/5  rDev -11.5%

12 ounce bottle poured into a tulip.

A - reddish orange hue. No head whatsoever, no lacing.

S - Cherry tartness, almost an apricot scent. Didn't get any hops at all.

T & M - This beer is actually a malt liquor according to the bottle, so can't really compare to other beers. It did taste of sour cherries and had a lot of carbonation / fizz to it. Reminded me of a cider.

D - If you like cider or malted beverages like a Mike's Hard Lemonade or something like that, you might like this.

Wasn't my cup of tea. I usally like all Founders beers, but this one let me down a bit. Again, it's completely different than other beers, so keep that in mind. Don't buy this and expect it to taste like a cherry wheat (Sam Adams) or cherry stout (Bells).

4.2/5  rDev +15.4%

Had this on tap at the Founders Brewery. Poured into a pint glass. Appears an pinkish amber color with a thin head. Of course the aroma has plenty of cherries - boy this beer smells good. There were aromas of other berries coming in too. Taste starts off quite tart and then the sweetness kicks in mostly of cherries and some raspberry. Wow, I love the way this beer tastes. Very well balanced and a great dessert beer. My lady friend with me enjoyed it quite well too. Founders needs to be in TX soon.

3.71/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Pours a hazy redish-pink with a light pink tan head. Decent lacing.

S: Not much of a smell to it. Some tart cherries and semi-sweet bready malts.

T: Good mix of sweet and tart cherries. Not too sweet, not too tart. Its got an awesome bready malt backbone that makes it taste like an actual beer. Finishes with a lingering mild cherry tartness.

M: Medium body. Average to lower carbonation. A bit smooth.

O: Really good for drinkability for a fruit beer. I can do a 12oz to myself fairly easily. Well made overall. It's pretty close up there with NG Belgium Red.

Cerise from Founders Brewing Company