Founders Cerise | Founders Brewing Company

Ratings: 1,504 |  Reviews: 605

1.24/5  rDev -65.8%

1.25/5  rDev -65.6%

1.49/5  rDev -59%

My wife bought this for me because she said the bottle was pretty. Poured into a chalice and she loved the color. It is quite different.

The smell seemed sour to me and less fruity than it looked. I was not expecting good things from the smell.

I am a big Founders fan as most of you are but this was awful. It tasted like the juice from a jar of marachino cherries that had gone bad. I am so glad my wife only bought me one. It was disgusting and horrible. Would have been a drain pour but it was a $3.00 bottle and I didn't want to hurt her feelings.

This was so flat that I could detect no mouthfeel at all. Water has more.

Drinkability is only for the brave. If you can finish one you need a medal pinned on your chest.

Buy anything else from Founders but stay far away from this one. I say this as one of the great lovers of Ephemere and other fruit/vegetable beers. This is not a beer, it is a poison...

1.61/5  rDev -55.6%

Bottle to pint glass. Bottled on 5/19/10, reviewed on 7/10/10.

A: One and a half foamy fingers accumulates on a vigorous pour. Cumulus cloud white in color. Diminishes quickly but the film is long lasting and so is the collar. The body is vibrantly clear, light orange with a hint of crimson red. Pretty. Spare splatters of would-be lacing try to stick but can't. Small, dark particles have settled at the bottom of the glass.

S: Toasted malts of indistinguishable variety with a light grassy hop contribution. The nose is dominated by sour cherries. Fermented fruit funkiness as well.

T: Fresh Michigan tart cherries were added at 5 different stages throughout the brewing process, which was about 4 stages too many. The flavor is overwhelmingly cherry dominant. I expected more subtlety from Founders. Barely recognizable flavors of grenadine, strawberry, pomegranate, cranberry and cinnamon flavored candy come in to play.

M: Medium-light body with a thin, slick, syruppy, cloying texture. Not good. At all. Fine fizzy carbonation is of average intensity. Heavy sweetness is only withstandable because the tartness begins to cut through it.

D: My first drainpour. I'll put a bucket next to my bed tonight. Just in case.

1.75/5  rDev -51.8%

1.75/5  rDev -51.8%

1.99/5  rDev -45.2%

Free bottle from work, bottled 4/23/10 haha! Poured into a pilsner glass.

A: Hazy orange amber with a pink hue. Minimal white head with lots of sticky lacing.

S: Musty malt aroma, some candy sweetness, and just old skunky aroma. Smells like fruity dust.

T: Super sweet and mildly tart cherry flavor mixing with funky skunky malt flavor.

M: Light bodied yet syrupy, with a decent amount of carbonation.

O: I had to pour this out. It was just horribly unenjoyable. Then again this bottle has been light-struck on a sales floor for 1.5 years. I would love to try a fresh example of this beer because I do thoroughly enjoy fruit beers, lambics, and sours.

Founders Cerise from Founders Brewing Company