Founders Cerise | Founders Brewing Company

Added by philbe311 on 04-03-2009

Ratings: 1,504 |  Reviews: 604
2.53/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at the brewery on 7/9.

A: Light pink color. A small fizzy head appeared and quickly faded to nothing. No lace.

A: not much going on here, some cherry aroma and that's about it. Not really impressed at all

T: tart cherry and some sweet malt. Not much hop presence. Really reminds me of a not so flavorful Chablis or something.

M: light, again not much to it.

O: Really let down by this. Was hoping to get something along the lines of Belgian red, and got something that fell way short of that. Would not have again. Skal.

2.55/5  rDev -29.8%

Sampled on tap at the Founders taphouse.

Light strawberry-looking thing. Smells sweet enough to make my nose hair pucker up.

Yup. Too sweet to drink more than a swallow or two. Cherry, with cheery overtones, backed by some cherry with cherry highlights. My wife asked if this was Founder's "chick drink" & the bartender agreed.

I'm sure this isn't a bad beer, just not my thing. I'd stick to Mike's Hard if I wanted something this sweet & summery.

2.61/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A- translucent ruby red color, no head to speak of

S- faint fruity/ peach/pear scents, not as strong as I expected

T- faint hints of sour cherries, also some peachiness that comes through at the end.

M- nondescript mouthfeel, pretty smooth but nothing that strikes me as worthy of noting.

D- this beers drinkable, but it hasn't given me an excuse to want more of it. It's not offensive by any means, but there's just not a whole lot calling me back to this brew.

2.63/5  rDev -27.5%

Poured into a wine taster. There is a nice ruby color. There is a small off-white head.

The aroma has a little bit of cherry, with a good dose of typical malt and yeast sprinkled in. The aroma isn't super strong, but well balanced.

The taste is mostly sweet medicinal flavor. There is a sweet aftertaste. This isn't super sweet, but there isn't anything to balance out the sweetness. I thought the look was good and the nose didn't turn me off. But I won't finish drinking this.

I'll pass, but for those who like sweeter fruit beers, I could see the appeal for this one.

2.64/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured into a pint glass. This one pours a clear vibrant red with a cap of light pink head.

The aroma is full of sweet cherry aromas. A bit to sweet though, almost makes it seem artificial. The pallet gives off the super sweet cherry flavors. Again, it's just a bit too sweet.

The body is full and sticky with soft carbonation. It really coats the pallet for sure. Overall this one isn't very good. I think it's just too sweet. I was hoping for something lighter and more refreshing. This seems to be more of a dessert.

2.7/5  rDev -25.6%

This beer is best served over vanilla or peach ice cream. As a component in a beer float, it can be tasty. It can also work when mixed with juice. (I liked it when mixed with an orange juice/carrot juice combo.) Unfortunately, it's more difficult to drink straight. Although I enjoy fruity beer such as lambics, I was not overly impressed with Founders Cerise when drunk as-is. The beer's flavor has the cherry taste and not much else, more like a juice-flavored kid's drink than a fruit beer. I would have appreciated more nuance of flavor.

2.71/5  rDev -25.3%

12oz bottle into tulip.

A - Pours a deep cranberry red with a small white-pink head.

S - A very light aroma of sweet, tart cherry.

T - Taste follows the nose, with a very sweet cherry flavor throughout. Slightly tart. Reminds me of a dollar store cherry soda. There is a slight medicinal quality to the finish. Not undrinkable, but very disappointing.

M - Light body, prickly carbonation, watery. Slightly astringent.

O - I tend to enjoy fruit beers but this one really missed the mark for me. The flavor is weak and very one dimensional. It was hard to finish the bottle.

2.73/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured aggressively into a standard pint glass produces a dark reddish brown and cloudy liquid with a well sustained, faintly pink, creamy looking head that subsides very slowly while leaving some very nice lacing.
Smell is faint with notes of malt, cherry cough syrup and floral, maybe gardenia.
Taste is a weird mix of the floral and cherry syrup with the malt very faint, not a main participant.
Medium bodied at best with a tingly effervescence, much like a lambic which is my best guess as to what they were aiming for. I like lambics, but I'm glad I only have two of these to drink. The overly artificial flavor/nose is depressing. Being from Michigan myself and aware of the heritage of cherry growing in the state, I really wanted to like this a lot but I can't honestly say I do. Finally a Founders beer I don't want more of.

2.74/5  rDev -24.5%

Bottled 05/24/2012.

Into a pint glass (also a snifter, nothing changed):

A: hazy strawberry red body that is too cloudy to see any carbonation. A small white head mushroom capped and turned into the body within ten seconds.

S: cherry and alcohol up front with some grains and malts very lightly in the background.

T: tart and sweet through the cherry combining with the malts, reminds me a bit of cherry pie once I noticed how the malts combined

M: light to medium with slight carbonation felt on the tongue.

O: well, I never had a cherry pie for a beer, but with the alcohol smell I can tell its a beer. Two more, I probably will be able to finish, but will probably not buy this again.

Founders Cerise from Founders Brewing Company