Founders Cerise | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by philbe311 on 04-03-2009

Ratings: 1,503 |  Reviews: 604
3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

A-Pours a light gold with a distinct red tone. Decent amount of head that fades to a nice ring around the surface of the beer.
S-Light aromas of fruit sweetness and malt.
T-Strong flavor of cherries, fairly sour.
M-Tart from the cherries. Some malt body and light carbonation.
Overall, very good. The cherries come through and dominate. The carbonation is light which is fine. Some beers mention the fruit used in the brewing process but disappoint, this really has a good sweet/tart cherry flavor.

3.44/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Red in color with slight hints of orange and brilliant clarity. Tall pale pink head with moderately high retention and some nice lacing.

Aroma-Almost artificial cherry smell-like cherry sugar syrup or maraschino cherries. Also reminds me a bit of ludens cough drops. Malt aromas are nearly undetectable behind the cherry character.

Flavor-Tastes a bit like a cherry coughdrop-sweet, cherry pie and artificial cherry flavors come through. Not tart like most krieks would be. Some malt character is noticeable in the midpalate, and the finish has a sort of cherry-malt beverage/cherry pie character to it. Finishes rather sweet.

Mouthfeel-Medium body with moderate carbonation. Verges on cloyingly sweet but manages to avoid going over the top.

This definitely doesn't come close to krieks or other Belgian style cherry beers, but as an American fruit beer, it's not bad. A bit overly sweet, but when paired with the right dessert (notably chocolate), it can actually be very good. That said, drinking a whole bottle by itself is not really an enjoyable experience. Decent with dessert, but once again, a bit much to enjoy in quantity all on its own.

3.7/5  rDev +1.9%

I was expecting a light malty beer with a note or 2 of cherries. What I got was vice versa. I searched for malt flavors and really could not find any. If I didn't trust Founders, I'd have guessed this to be a cherry-dominated cider. Fortunately my wife and I shared one of these over dessert, so it worked well in that role.

This looks like cherry-flavored champagne, bright reddish-pink with heavy carbonation and an evanescent white head. Aroma is all cherries, with a little citrus in a supporting role. Flavor is true to the aroma, but quite impressive in that the strong cherry flavor doesn't bear a hint of the harshness or "jolly rancher" character one would expect from the use of a flavor extract or artificial flavorant.

it is quite light-bodied, and it could be sessioned if one really enjoys this sort of product. For someone not so much into this sort of brew, I'm not going back for more, but I can recognize and respect the quality of this offering.

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

12 oz. bottle, slightly chilled and poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Pours an almost pink colour but more on the amber side of that scale although depending on what angle of the light you are looking at this from it does appear to be a deep pink colour. Average pour yields about a finger of pinkish white head that very quickly resides to a nice ring around the glass and a nice bubbly top leaving very minimal to no lacing till finish.

Smell- First thing that comes to my mind on the aromas is that it reminds me a lot of a glass of wine. Very fruity on the nose with the tart cherries really come through, with a slight hint of sweet malts in the background as well.

Taste- Again the first thing that really comes to my mind on the palate as well is that this really does smell and taste like a glass of wine. Also reminds me of some kind of a fruity pop or lemonade or something along those lines. None the less very nice tastes and the fruity tart cherries really come through in the taste as well. A very well balanced fruit beer that starts off rather tart, then becomes very sweet on the finish almost like the filling in a cherry pie, and again some light malt flavours in the background again as well.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with not too bad carbonation, maybe not as present on the mouth feel as it looks in the glass but it is still there. Very crisp and easy drinking; would be great to sit back on a hot summer day with this one.

Overall- To be honest I was pleasantly surprised by this one, I guess I did come in with a little low of expectations in that I usually don’t love fruity beers and lean more towards the deep, dark, and rich porters and stouts. But this one did impress me, it comes through on everything that it says it, you get the tart cherries on both the smells and the taste that finish almost sweet with a nice balance of malts. It did really remind me of a glass of wine in both the smell and taste as well, a great fruity beer for those hot summer days, I would pick this one up again.

3.98/5  rDev +9.6%

Bottled 5/13/11. Poured into a tulip glass.

Strangely it glows crimson in indirect light, and is a saturated orange when backlit. The white foam also takes on a pinkish hue, all due to the cherry puree listed on the label. Sticky defined crown of lace inside the glass, three dimensional and dripping downwards.

Aroma is cherry and minerally cider, all natural distinctive fruit characteristics.

Flavor is a touch sweet, which lingers until the aftertaste. Big Michigan pie cherry and faintly malty breadiness that one can't help but associate with flaky pie crust. Dry finish, clean and not cloying at all. Low level astringency, similar to cherry juice. This is very tasty (provided you like cherries) and not just another sweetened fruit beer. Authenticity reigns, leave it to Founders to brew a successful Michigan cherry ale...

Delicious looking beverage. Bubbles rising through a reddish/orange semi-transparent brew. The head is small but it hangs around and leaves lacing.

The aroma is of cherry but not over-powering. It smells "real" to me, not artificial. The taste is delicious, almost like a well made lemonade or lime-aid, but cherry, of course. The carbonation seems about right to me for a fruit beer, a little on the high side for a beer.

I like these, but if you are adverse to flavored beers I would not recommend them to you. I had a 4-pack last year. At first I wasn't so sure about such a concoction, but this is the second year in a row I have come to appreciate fruit beer. The other really good cherry beer I had was from Smuttynose, the Hanami Ale.

3.77/5  rDev +3.9%

Purchased at Wine and Beer Westpark in Glen Allen, VA after a tasting of the beer - poured into stone pairing glass

Pours a pink color with soda like head. Looks like cherry 7up. Not much head. Smells vaguely of cherries, very nice though. Tastes good, very light and refreshing and the cherry taste on the back end is nice and very real, not artificial.

Overall this is an interesting beer and unexpected coming from Founders. I like it and would consider buying it again, I bet this would make a great beer-mosa

3.97/5  rDev +9.4%

12oz bottle served in a glass beer mug.

L - clear orange/reddish color with a thin off-white head that all but went away in a few minutes.

S - tart cherry aroma, all it's cracked up to be.

T - tart cherry pie filling, I like cherry pie!

F - crisp, light, tart and refreshing.

O - I like this beer.

3.54/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

purchased at joe canals in egg harbor township
6/4/11

I am not a huge fan of fruity beers or sours of any sort but wanted to try this beer since I was in the mood for something light on a hot day.

The Cerise pours a light brown/reddish color with very slight head that dissipates quickly, leaving no lacing. In the nose I detected a sweet malty smell, but not overly fruity like you find in other fruit beers.

The beer tasted of tart cherries and malt. It was very smooth, with little carbonation, and left a sweet aftertaste. I would say I picked up more malt than fruit in this beer, to the point where I would consider the flavors to be bit out of balance.

This beer drank a little more like a cider than a fruit beer. I would give it another go if there was nothing else available. Not founders best output, but I dont hold anything against them

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: copper orange with minimal head

smell: cherries, malts, sweetness

taste: cherries, sour, tart,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: interesting style of beer. brewed with cherries but not overly fruity like say new glarus cherry. Glad I got to try and quite enjoyed it.

Cheers,
The CPJ

4.08/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a very light combination of red and caramel, lending a pink color to the beer overall. With a moderate pour, there is an off-white head of one finger which disappears quickly.

S: The smell of cherries is very upfront here. They contribute a nice fruity sweetness to the beer. This is backed by some light caramel malts and roasted flavors as well as some citrus notes.

T: The taste of cherries is unmistakable but also superbly balanced. Both sweet and tart, the fruit flavor is strong but stops just short of being overpowering. This is still a beer with fruit flavor, not a fruity drink that vaguely resembles a beer. There are some light malt flavors to complement the cherries, giving the beer a fuller, more complex flavor than most fruit beers.

M: Very light and nicely carbonated.

O: Quite possibly my favorite fruit beer I’ve ever had. Tastes strongly of sweet and tart cherries but is pretty balanced. Incredibly light, sweet and drinkable.

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a clear reddish amber color with a 1 finger bubbly off white head that faded quickly, leaving decent spotty lacing. This looks like a fruit punch after the head is gone.

Smells sweet up front with cherries, grains, malt, some light caramel and maybe some faint wheat or yeast; this was a very soft and basically dull nose, which was a big surprise based on all of the other Founders beers that I’ve had.

Tastes sweet overall, with the cherry, sweet malt and roasted grains leading the way, followed by some citrus zest tingle on the tongue, bubblegum or a sweet soda like a Fanta, caramel or light syrup, brown sugar and a slight yeast funk. It was more complex than I expected and did not have the sweetness that kills some fruit beers, as this was blended just right and brought the cherry sweetness right to the edge and stopped for a very enjoyable flavor.

The mouthfeel is extremely light, crisp and refreshing, with high, fizzy carbonation, a light body and a real smooth feel as it goes down with just a tingle over the tongue.

The more I drank this the more I enjoyed it, and the flavor and drinkability of this beer have my vote to rate this a good session beer and change of pace. Another excellent balancing act by Founders as they continue to impress me with fine product after fine product. I recommend trying this beer if you like fruit beers as it was just right in the flavor department.

4.2/5  rDev +15.7%

Clear amber, with a hint of red in color. Rich, white froth and light lace. Attractive.

Nice aroma of cherry and wood, but understated. Unusual and interesting.

Taste is bold, and well palatable. The cherry isn't weird or artificial (as similar fruit beers can be). It's more of a sour cherry, maybe like a lambic almost. Nice! Registers on my taste buds more akin to a smooth wine, maybe. I get a dry, lingering finish as well, and an ever-so-slight nuttiness.

Quite a balanced brew and an unheralded winner, though not surprising from Founders.

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%

12oz bottle poured into my Deschutes snifter glass. Keith (McNuts), thank you for this!

Appearance - Fairly aggressive pour yields about a 1 finger head of smaller bubbles that are off white in color with a pink tint to them. Head diminished pretty quickly but leaves a slight ring all around the glass and a pretty big cluster of small, light fizzy looking bubbles in the center. Doesn't leave any lace. This is a clear amber color with hues of orange and red. Actually expected this to be more red for being brewed with so much cherries, but it's not bad that it isn't.

Aroma - Smell is mostly subtle and light. Sweet cherries are dominant with some tart cherry in there also, but it's noticeably not a strong smell. Interesting that there isn't more of a sour note to the smell with all the cherries that were used. After that there's a litte caramel malt and maybe a bit of a floral/estery smell from the yeast but that's about all I'm getting. Actually wish this had more of a strong cherry aroma. So I think I'd rate the smell about average for a fruit beer.

Taste - Ah, this does taste nice. After the first sip my impression is similar to the nose - sweet cherries with some tartness and smooth malt, again some caramel and sweetness. It's a stronger taste than the nose would suggest, but it's still not actually a strong taste. Maybe a better way to say it would be that this does not taste as strong as I'd expect from a fruit beer, but I don't think I can fault it for that. It's a very light and finishes with more tartness that initial taste and more sweetness. I almost want to give this a 3.5 but because I think it's a very nice taste I'm going with a 4.0. The more I think about it, I'm glad this beer didn't have much more strong cherry flavor in there. I think back and remember some other very strong fruit beers I've had and the strength in the taste is almost off putting because it was just too much.

Mouthfeel - This beer is actually pretty crisp, but not extremely so. It's more of a smooth crispness that results from a nice lighter/creamier carbonation. Body was a little higher than light but not quite at a medium. Finish is dry crispness that lingers a while but not long at all - about a medium length finish.

Overall - I'd say this is a very nice beer overall. Actually nice and refreshing because of the lighter body, the taste that isn't overpowering/overbearing, and the nice carbonation/mouthfeel. Overall I think I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5.0. Definitely not my favorite beer, but it's a good fruit beer. Nice for the summertime or as a refreshing break from stronger beers.

3.86/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

Appear aa a nice red glow. Almost pink in the right light.

Smells sweet of cherries.

Tastes like soured real fruit. Tartness comes through in finish.

Mouthfeel is sweei with slight syrup. Finishes clean.

Overall a nice beer but enjoyed more from tap.

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

Appearance- Red in color with a thick white head, laced the glass while I was drinking it.

Smell- Straight up cherry pie filling, very pleasant.

Taste- Again, primarily cherries in the front here, a very nice balance of tart and sweet.

Mouthfeel- Nicely carbonated, though I felt a slight amount of alcohol heat.

Overall- Very good fruit beer. Enjoyable to drink, though I never want to have more than one in a session.

3.37/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured into a tulip.

A - Pinkish-orange, very clear, with voluminous white head. Leaves some nice lacing. Looks pretty good.

S - Some simple barley malts and a touch of tart cherry, but I might not have picked up on it if I weren't looking for it. Honestly smells a bit like a cheap adjunct lager... I'm a little disappointed there's not much cherry.

T - Much better than the smell. Slightly tart, but mostly sweet, cherry, kinda like the filling of a moderately sweet cherry pie. Some simple, basic malt flavor underneath. Not even a little complex, but I find myself taking absent-minded swigs constantly. Quite tasty.

M - Medium mouthfeel, with only a hint of carbonation. Rather smooth. It matches the flavor pretty well.

Overall, this is a good fruit beer, but there's nothing to make it stand out or make me want to buy it again. Tasty, but forgettable.

3.76/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Light red with a thin amount of white foam head that laces the glass nicely

S: The bitterness from the cherries really comes through off the head.

T: Its almost like a white wine mixed with sour cherries. Might be a good summer beer for people that don't want a true beer taste

M: Very Light and crisp. Perfect amount of carbonation.

O: Might be a good summer beer for people that don't want a true beer taste. Not really my type of beer.

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into a snifter just bc, with no head and Almost no lacing. Pours a bright pink, clear winey color. Strong aroma of cherries and fruit, with a little scent of floral notes in the background.
Taste hits you right upfront with cherries and a malty wine flavor. Its a very bitter tart aftertaste almost sour but i like it!
Mouthfeel is very very light with hardley no carbonation, more of a sour wine than a ale. The aftertaste leaves a sour bready flavor lingering which is quite nice.
Overall a decent brew from founders, i would pick this up again a good session brew in between ipas

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

poured from a bottle into an unbranded tulip

appearance - pours a clear pink color with quite a bit of carbonation, a slight white head with hint of pink to it

smell - up front is sweet cherries with a bready back, there are floral notes rounding out this symphony

taste - the first half a second of this is bitter that quickly fades into an almost sourdough bread flavor that fades into a dry sweet cherry flavor, this is the third year iv had this and the first year iv enjoyed this, going for a 4 pack soon to see if it was a fluke, the best way i can describe this is if a light red wine had a bastard son with a pale ale

mouthfeel - very light, almost like drinking an over carbonated pop, think faygo red pop meets pale ale(michiganders can get a good idea of what this means)

drinkability - i wanted another after but only bought one(always have one to bring in the warm weather just like oberon)

overall - my opinion of this beer is changing with my growing palate, what was once a cloyingly sweet wine knock off is now something that i would enjoy having a few on a hot summer day around the BBQ

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured into a Russian River stemmed glass a cerise color. Yeah. Went there. Almost a rosey-amber. Pretty. A finger of bubbly white head like champagne, but quickly subsides to a thin ring that gently laces.

Nose is very light - some sweet malt and thin syrupy cherry.

Light to medium carbonation, medium body. Sweet and a touch bready, some cherry tartness on the finish. Clean and pretty refreshing.

If I tasted this blind, I don't think I'd have said it was beer. It still makes for a pretty nice pour and a good change of pace. Wouldn't get it again, but wouldn't be mad if offered as a dessert or digestif on a hot summer day.

3.06/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured into a wine glass.

A- Pours a transparent rose blush hue. some white foamy head forms. Looks rather unique.

S- A fruity pale ale aroma, cherry is present but rather faint. Hay like backbone with a cherry soda twist.

T- Odd. A mix between a diet cherry soda, Rose wine, and an unfiltered pale ale. Interesting. Pretty crisp and kinda refreshing. The cherry flavor is ok, but could be more natural and stronger.

M- Pretty light. crisp, refreshing. The odd mix does linger for a bit. Some sharpness on tip of tongue. Light body.

O- An OK beer. Perhaps a transition beer for those not into craft brews or wine. Not my thing, but worth a try if you like fruit beers.

3.42/5  rDev -5.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - looks like cherry soda with nearly no see-able carbonation. light red/pink color with a thin white bubbly head that is quickly ringed around the edge. nothing amazing going on here but its somewhat inviting.

S - the nose is all cherry here. its not overbearing but very much there. apart from that seems to be a malty bread smell in the back.

T - again its almost alll cherry. sweet malts up front with a bit of bread in there as well. its not complex but it definitely tastes good.

M - light bodied. good carbonation on the tongue not overbearing but definitely noticeable. mouth puckering sourness hits on the sides. definitely the best aspect of this beer.

O - its pretty good. doesn't look or smell all that impressive but the taste and mouthfeel offer it some backbone. definitely not disappointed in my purchase but probably wouldn't repurchase this again espeically at 12 bucks for 4.

4.18/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First had: on tap at Tavern 17, Philly, PA

Love this beer!

A great cherry beer. Not strong and syrupy like a kriek, but instead a simple fruit beer, light and smooth, with just the right amount of cherry in there. Pours slightly hazy, orange-brown with a nice white head. Cherries in the nose, but not too pronounced, accompanied by light malts and some caramel sugar. Taste of sweet cherries with a tartness following, and a smooth maltiness to finish off, and just a bit of breadiness. Medium-light mouthfeel, and highly drinkable.

3.85/5  rDev +6.1%

I bought a 4-pack of this at Zinke's in Wisconsin Dells, WI in Spring 2011.

Pours a clear golden amber color with minimal head on it. There is a weak scent of wheat and some cherry, but nothing too bold or fruity. The taste is a very nice mixture of wheats, malts, and sweet cherries that are again not too bold or sweet. This is one of those cherry beers that has a good cherry flavor but doesn't go overkill on the fruit flavor. A must try for fruit beer lovers!

Founders Cerise from Founders Brewing Company