Founders Cerise | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by philbe311 on 04-03-2009

Ratings: 1,503 |  Reviews: 604
4.2/5  rDev +15.7%

Received as an extra from Sendbeer.

12oz bottle poured into a Founders Imperial Pint Glass.

Pours an amber red, with about 1 fingers worth of a reddish tinted head. Smell is of cherry, juice, sugar, and a little bit of grain. Taste is cheery, almost cheery juice like. I don't get any sense of alcohol. Some of the reviews mention a sourness, but I don't get much perhaps a slight tartness. Taste is also sweet. Mouthfeel is light with a moderate amount of carbonation. I get some creaminess on the swallow.

For someone who doesn't like cherries by themselves, I surprising enjoyed this beer. Solid offering from Founders.

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

3.34/5  rDev -8%

A- pours a deep mahogany color with a fizzy cream colored head that reduces to skim the surface.

S- faint tart cherries, a little grainy, not much going on.

T- sour cherries up front, almost made me pucker. The cherry taste is pretty intense, I can pick up the fermented aspect if it. Finishes slightly dry with a slight bitterness.

M- medium body, but pretty heavy for fruit ale standards, but it works. medium carbonation and creamy-velvety mouthfeel.

O- I like the taste of this, I just don't pick up any resemblance to beer. It's still one of the better fruit beers that I have had though.

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

3.28/5  rDev -9.6%

I'm gonna state upfront that I hated this, but I try to review objectively and fairly. This beer poured up a bright ruby red with a small white head. The smell was mainly cherries. Mouthfeel was just about average with not a whole lot of carbonation. Taste - well - it didn't taste at all like beer to me. It tasted more like a cherry Sundrop or weak wine. But once you get used to the taste, it is drinkable. Not my favorite, as I stated upfront, but I think Founders succeeded in what they were trying to accomplish.

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

On tap at Village Draft House. Served in a chalice.

A - bright reddish amber with a thin layer of soft, white head

S - thick, syrupy cherries; almost juice-like

T - cherries, syrup, red wine, juice, very sweet

M - medium bodied, well carbonated, sticky, thick, syrupy

I'm not a huge fruit beer fan. I thought this was a bit sweet at times. All things considered, it was a very tasty, drinkable beer. The cherries were forward and delicious. My only real complaint is that this beer is a bit thick. It comes across at times more like juice than beer. Nonetheless, it's worth a try especially if you're a cherry fan.

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%