Founders Cerise | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by philbe311 on 04-03-2009

Ratings: 1,504 |  Reviews: 605

2.21/5  rDev -39.1%

A- Pours a red color with a pinkish colored head. Right then I knew I was in trouble.

S- A touch of malts and quite a bit of tart cherries.

T- Wow this is a beer. My first thought is that this is some sort of wine cooler. Taste like it smells tart cherries dominant.

M- Light to medium in body and ok carbonation.

D- No thanks I'll pass only the second Founders I didn't like and yes, they were both fruit beers.

2.23/5  rDev -38.6%

Poured into a tumbler.

Pours a clear golden with very little indication this is a cherry beer. Smell on the other hand is nothing but sweet cherries. Cherry pie filling would be the overwhelming aroma. No tartness to be found.

Taste is very much what I expected from the smell, except more grenadine like instead of cherry pie filling. Extremely cloying and difficult to hold in my mouth for very long. Not particularly enjoyable. I have a very difficult time drinking one in a sitting.

Not sure what Founders was going for here. Shirley Temple flavored beer? The only conclusion I am able to.come up with is that this is an intended mixer to go with other beers. Will mix some with an RIS to see if I can enjoy it that way.

4 pack will last me at least a year.

2.25/5  rDev -38%

2.25/5  rDev -38%

2.31/5  rDev -36.4%

12oz bottle into Duvel tulip. Should be fresh; Founders just arrived in CT.

Appearance: Free pour yields a half inch fizzy pink head that dissipates quickly. Pours a hazy pink. No lacing.

Smell: Faint cherry (indistinct variety). Malt underneath. Best I can say is there's no foul odors.

Taste: Very sweet. Slightest suggestion of sour cherry among the sugar. Decent malt backbone comes out as the beer dries way the hell out.

There's sort of a medicinal flavor up front, along with some coffee (???). Cherry and strawberry donut aftertaste. Weird. Sour cherry again comes out in the finish, sharing the same long-aftertaste flavor as dried tart cherries... it's as if my mouth ate some delicious sour cherries, but didn't tell me about it (in fact, it gave me this story about going to Dunkin Donuts instead).

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Almost no bitterness. Sugary up front, really dry at the end. Low side of moderate carbonation.

Overall: Michigan tart cherries are some of the most delicious things to eat in the world. As a celebration of that ingredient, this beer is a travesty. The people at Founders really ought to have eaten the cherries and used the fermenters for their good beers.

That said, the ridiculous strawberry donut flavor isn't *that* bad. Maybe I'm slightly more forgiving since I can still remember the similar (but several orders of magnitude worse) Ommegang Aphrodite. This beer is cloying and, to get right down to it, bad, but I can probably finish the glass. I like donuts every so often I guess.

2.35/5  rDev -35.3%

Poured a reddish amber and you could smell the strong cherry-ness easily. It had a decent-bodied mouthfeel but at the end of the day, the cherry flavor was just too much. It tasted as if it was half grenadine and was just entirely too sweet for me. As for the poster than referred to it as a "chick drink", my girlfriend said it was way too sweet for her too. I supposed it would be an interesting one to try a shot-sized sample of during a fruity beer tasting festival or something of the like, but the entire bottle was just too much for me. Possibly the first founders I didn't love. I guess it was bound to happen sometime!

2.37/5  rDev -34.7%

A: Cloudy reddish brown, with a slight pink tinge. Not much head or lacing, but a lot of carbonation.

S: Cherries, of course, very tart, and not much else, with just a little malt underneath.

T/M: A mix of sweet and tart cherry flavors dominate, naturally. Not much else going on here, so after a few sips it becomes way too sickly sweet and one-dimensional. Prickly carbonated mouthfeel. I couldn't finish even one bottle.

O: For what it is, this is about as good as expected, but it's just not my thing. The cherries dominate, as of course they should in a cherry beer, but there's not much else to this beer.

2.49/5  rDev -31.4%

A - Looks very cool, pink with light pink/white head. Not a typical color for a beer, which is very unique.

S - Light smell of cherries, but sweet cherries, not tart like I was hoping. Other than that, there isn't a whole lot to the smell of this beer.

T - Sickly sweet with no tartness to balance this out. If this had the nice tartness of a typical cherry, I wouldn't be nearly as disappointed. I don't like the taste of this.

M - The mouthfeel might be the one redeeming quality of this beer, it finishes clean and crisp.

Overall, this beer is a disappointment. I can confidently say that this is the first time I've ever been disappointed by a Founders beer. Unfortunately, this is a drain pour, which is a first for Founders.

2.49/5  rDev -31.4%

Bottled 13 May 2011.

Pours clear, a slightly reddish deep amber color. Is the red just my imagination, or is it actually there. I still can't tell. Fluffy off-white head with a pinkish hue. Good retention and lacing.

Smells of sweet malts and tart cherries, with some kind of weirdness lurking in the background. That weirdness has a chemical feel to it, though I can't identify it, and really doesn't make me excited about drinking it.

Tastes starts out tangy and fruity, a bit like a powdered drink mix. Then tart cherries come through, but are quickly displaced by an odd bitterness that doesn't fit well in the beer and really puts me off. It's got that same chemical air to it that I picked up in the smell, and it sticks to the back corners of my tongue. Finish is dry but persistent, and dominated by that chemical bitterness, which lasts for way longer than I want it to. Feel like I need a glass of water, or a better beer, to rinse it out.

Mouthfeel is fairly light but syrupy, a little sticky. Medium carbonation, could probably use some more. Finish is an odd combination of drying and sticky - I'm almost convinced it's going away, but then it grabs on tight and stays there, just barely detectable.

A bitter fruit beer? Yuck. Not sure if that's what they intended, but I am most definitely not a fan of this. It has an odd combination of flavors that just don't work well together at all. By far the worst beer I've had from Founders. Compared to my standard for cherry beers (NG Wisconsin Belgian Red), this isn't on the same planet.

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

Got a pack of this because I saw it on the shelves at Wegman's and was something new. I was more than disappointed by Rubeaus and was hoping this would make up for it. Wrong.

12oz bottle poured into Delirium Tremens bubble glass last night.
Bottle Graphics: 2/10.

A: Pinkish light red color with a thin head that lasted pretty long. Carbonation was distant.

S: The smell was not horrible, slightly tart but something unique. The good ended here though. It smelled of true fruit but that did not carry over in the taste. While not a fan of fruit beers, I would rate it high if it was a good version but didn't get it.

T: I just found no real pleasure in the taste of this. It was borderline hard to drink and is up there on the list with Bells Cherry stout. Got some more to share with somebody, I'm positive someone will like this. Being generous, it has a cherry maraschino syrup flavor that is not like real fruit though in any way.

M: I would've expected this to be a bubbly mess but was the opposite, a milky flat mess.

D: Founders is a great brewery, this is not a great beer. This is not a good beer, this was flat out hard to drink.

Founders Cerise from Founders Brewing Company