Founders Cerise | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by philbe311 on 04-03-2009

Reviews: 605 | Ratings: 1,503
4.15/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a robust red into a snifter with very little head. Smells like a tart cherry and little else besides. The cherry odor is rather light and orchard like, however. The taste is of tart cherries. There is definitely a bit of pucker to this drink with a very dry aftertaste, almost like wine. It tastes remarkably like a real cherry, which to my tastes is delightful. The mouthfeel is not too syrupy or sweet. I like this beer a lot, but I wouldn't drink more than one at a time. I would love to try this with some fresh fruit or a suitable dessert.

3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance: pours from the bottle an appealing hue of rose/amber, extremely fine patchy, almost tiger pattern head, minimal lacing on the glass.

Smell: a light fruity cherry aroma dominates the nose on this brew, although some sweetness from the grains is detectable.

Taste: good light refreshing taste, the tart cherry comes through as the main flavor.

Mouthfeel: very fine bubbles for the carbonation, sparkling almost like a champagne, very light bodied and refreshing.

Drinkability: very drinkable.

3.97/5  rDev +9.4%

Look: Ruby amber color, light pink head, that dissipated quickly with little to no lacing

Smell: Tart, yeasty with a little malt

Taste: Up Front: Nice tart, cherry flavor. Finish: Same, with a touch of cinnamon - YUM

Mouthfeel: Crisp, light bodied, with low carbonation

Drinkability: Surprisingly easy to drink - tartness drops off fast.

Overall Impression: Probably the best fruit beer I've had to date. I always wanted to try it, but I didn't want to buy a 4-pack. I put together a mixed 6-pack, and this was one of them. I'm glad I tried it. You should too if you're looking for something different

3.41/5  rDev -6.1%

Bottle poured into a pint glass

Pours a cloudy orangish red color with a thick off white, maybe a hint of salmon colored head that fades slowly and leaves gobs of lacing.

The nose is pretty tart Michigan cherries as the dominant aroma although the aroma is somewhat soft.

The cherries are present, but I could use a little more. There is a good amount of malt mixed in which I am pleased by.

Medium body with relaxed carbonation. I anticipated a fuller body, but I do not find it disappointing.

Overall this is a an enjoyable brew, but short of excellent.

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

a: nice redish brown hue. Head pours an attractive redish white with a whipped look to it. Very nice

s: smells of cherry and a touch of grain in the background. very potent cherry scent, but not offputtingly so.

t: cherry hits you hard here. There is a taste of bread and a pastry sweetness to it. not as tart as you would expect, but there is some sourness to this brew.

m: very carbonated. Almost too much, but I am enjoying it at the same time. The pop you get here is very refreshing, though i wish it was a tad more heavy so I could enjoy it longer. Slick in the mouth.

d: I could have many of these in a row. It is a very light and fluffy beer. the combination of all the factors work well enough to enjoy this on a hot summer day.

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured Cerise into snifter. Served chilled.

A - Somewhat cloudy light red with small pinkish head.

S - Tart cherries.

T - Tart cherries. Refreshing and tasty.

M - Decent body, yet good carbonation for a fruity summer ale. Refreshing- not cloying at all.

O - Nice change from my usual dark ales. Not Blushing Monk quality, but a good beer. Similar, but better that a 'cooler.' Nothing bad to say. Worth a try for this style of beer.

3.7/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours ruby red with minimal head, dissipates very quickly to a webbed cap and small but sticky lacing.

S - Dark cherries and bread take up the majority of the nose, possible spice in the background.

T - Flavor matches the scent well. Dark cherries with a hint of sweetness gives way to the slight tartness you would expect from real cherries. Light breadiness throughout.

M - Light body that goes well but too much carbonation in my opinion.

O - Overall not a bad beer, but a bit too much like a cherry soda. Needs less carbonation and the sourness is a little overpowering in the end. Not on the top of the list for fruit beers.

4.6/5  rDev +26.7%

Appearance: Light red to pink in the glass. Beautiful rose color - with a bubbly appearance that made it gorgeous in a 16 oz glass

Smell: Cherry, rose petals, yeast.

Taste: The taste actually introduces itself and then opens up into a beautiful sparkling rose with hints of red fruit before opening up further to finish with the bittersweet taste of cherry from a cherry pie aspect. This beer isn't sweet, it fragrant - it's not fruity, it's complex - it has potential and opens up as you take another sip. Very enjoyable and not overly carbonated or a cheap knockoff to flavor like the other fruit/vegetable beers I've tasted.

Mouthfeel: Enlightened. This brew would be perfect with some vanilla ice cream or tart cobbler. Soft tannins. If you are a rose lover or even a sparkling wine lover - this beer will satisfy those flavor profiles while giving you the craft flavor satisfaction you're looking for.

Drinkability: I wouldn't session with this beer but instead would enjoy it on every/any occasion that doesn't necessarily call for beer. This is one over those brews you can use to convert people to the craft beer world - a brew that even the most loyal wine lovers can enjoy. Founders has hit the nail on the head with this one and I look forward to having this beer again with some great food to complement.

3.96/5  rDev +9.1%

Bright hazy orange with a distinct red / amber hue. Thin white head that slowly fades into a small ring.

Mild cherries and sweet malt. I was expecting a bit more from the aroma, but it was very subtle. Nothing all that interesting - I sure hope the flavor is a bit more exciting.

The taste blows the aroma out of the water. Delicious tart ripe cherries! There is a great mingling of sweet malt and tart cherries. What impressed me most was the fact that the cherries tasted authentic.

Slightly thin with solid carbonation.

When I was first hit with the aroma I was expecting the taste to be a let down, but I was blown out of the water with the flavor. The malts were rich and sweet while the cherries were mouth puckeringly tart! It almost felt like a lambic. I wasn't expecting to be as impressed as I was.

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

A- Pours a reddish-orange, resembling actual cherries, with a thin fizzy white one finger head that dissipates quickly.

S- A nose of fresh cherries with back notes of hops and a twist of sourness.

T- The flavor of cherries is prominent in the front, and slow decreases all the way to the back. There is a slight sourness in the middle, with a nice balance of everything.

M- Other than the mild tartness, this is a very clean beer that would be very refreshing after some yard work.

O- Not my favorite cherry beer, but this is certainly a solid offering. I wouldn't hunt it down, but I would gladly enjoy another.

3.54/5  rDev -2.5%

A: Red tinged medium darkened brew. Nice thick pinkish head that slowly fades to fine lacing. Made me question my manhood for a moment as I looked at it.

S: Slight sour smell; otherwise, nothing too interesting.

T: Sweet cherry flavor at first followed by a puckering sour taste. A nice contrast in flavors.

M: Sour carbonation on the front and sides. Syrupy medium bodied over the tongue and at the finish.

D: Not something I'd drink on it's own. Perfect for the right dessert, salad or lighter appetizer.

Served in a cervoise glass.

3.37/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured into a tulip.

A - Pinkish-orange, very clear, with voluminous white head. Leaves some nice lacing. Looks pretty good.

S - Some simple barley malts and a touch of tart cherry, but I might not have picked up on it if I weren't looking for it. Honestly smells a bit like a cheap adjunct lager... I'm a little disappointed there's not much cherry.

T - Much better than the smell. Slightly tart, but mostly sweet, cherry, kinda like the filling of a moderately sweet cherry pie. Some simple, basic malt flavor underneath. Not even a little complex, but I find myself taking absent-minded swigs constantly. Quite tasty.

M - Medium mouthfeel, with only a hint of carbonation. Rather smooth. It matches the flavor pretty well.

Overall, this is a good fruit beer, but there's nothing to make it stand out or make me want to buy it again. Tasty, but forgettable.

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%

First thing I notice is a pink head with some good retention. The body is crimson/orange depending on the lighting.

The nose is reminiscent of champagne more than beer. Strong fruity notes with hardly any discernible malt presence, maybe slight breadiness but that's it. The fruit is definitely cherries and fresh ones at that, no cough syrup junk here.

The taste follows the smell dead on. Tart Michigan cherries supported by a base of carbonated sweetness. This is a very different fruit flavor from the typical citrus you get from hops, its a nice change of pace but hard to accept considering I've been binging on ipas lately.

It's a light bodied beer and goes down smooth leaving a slight pucker in my lips. I appreciate it for what it is but must admit its not my style. I'm a beer man for a reason and this comes too close to wine or champagne for me. Props to founders for avoiding any artificial or medicinal cherry flavors.

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

PREFACE ---

Why do I buy cherry beers when I don't like cherries???? Oh yeah, because it's Founders and they make damn good beer. If it wasn't for the fact this beer came from Founders, I probably would have never purchased it. I tried to review the beer objectively. And now onto the review...

Appearance: Light red with excellent carbonation rising throughout the glass. The head sticks around quite nicely for a fruit/vegetable beer. Lacing is minimal.

Smell: CHERRIES!

Taste: CHERRIES!

Mouthfeel: Very smooth across the palate.

Drinkability: Would be very drinkable for someone who enjoys cherries. Since I don't care for cherries, one will be more than enough for me.

4.2/5  rDev +15.7%

Had this on tap at the Founders Brewery. Poured into a pint glass. Appears an pinkish amber color with a thin head. Of course the aroma has plenty of cherries - boy this beer smells good. There were aromas of other berries coming in too. Taste starts off quite tart and then the sweetness kicks in mostly of cherries and some raspberry. Wow, I love the way this beer tastes. Very well balanced and a great dessert beer. My lady friend with me enjoyed it quite well too. Founders needs to be in TX soon.

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

12 oz. bottle, slightly chilled and poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Pours an almost pink colour but more on the amber side of that scale although depending on what angle of the light you are looking at this from it does appear to be a deep pink colour. Average pour yields about a finger of pinkish white head that very quickly resides to a nice ring around the glass and a nice bubbly top leaving very minimal to no lacing till finish.

Smell- First thing that comes to my mind on the aromas is that it reminds me a lot of a glass of wine. Very fruity on the nose with the tart cherries really come through, with a slight hint of sweet malts in the background as well.

Taste- Again the first thing that really comes to my mind on the palate as well is that this really does smell and taste like a glass of wine. Also reminds me of some kind of a fruity pop or lemonade or something along those lines. None the less very nice tastes and the fruity tart cherries really come through in the taste as well. A very well balanced fruit beer that starts off rather tart, then becomes very sweet on the finish almost like the filling in a cherry pie, and again some light malt flavours in the background again as well.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with not too bad carbonation, maybe not as present on the mouth feel as it looks in the glass but it is still there. Very crisp and easy drinking; would be great to sit back on a hot summer day with this one.

Overall- To be honest I was pleasantly surprised by this one, I guess I did come in with a little low of expectations in that I usually don’t love fruity beers and lean more towards the deep, dark, and rich porters and stouts. But this one did impress me, it comes through on everything that it says it, you get the tart cherries on both the smells and the taste that finish almost sweet with a nice balance of malts. It did really remind me of a glass of wine in both the smell and taste as well, a great fruity beer for those hot summer days, I would pick this one up again.

3.41/5  rDev -6.1%

No Enjoy by date.
Slowly poured into a standard pint glass.

A: The appearance is unique. It poured with a very thin head that quickly disapated. But, while it was there it was very pink with just a touch of a light brown hue. The brew is an opaque wine-like pink with an amber shade.

S: The aroma is of sweet bready malt and some sweet cherry.

M: This brew has a medium to light body and is very smooth and easy drinking with a clean finish.

T: The taste starts out sweet and then some tartness kicks in. It begins with a sweet cherry flavor that is supported by a sweet bready malt backbone. Next, just before it becomes too sweet, some tart tart cherry pushes its way to the forefront to keep things interesting.

O: This is a different take on beer. Maybe cherry-barley wine might be a better description. Lambic drinkers and wine lovers will like this beer, or at least should give it a try. And everyone else might want to try it too, just to experince the broad range of things that can be called beer.

3.36/5  rDev -7.4%

A- An interesting ruby red copper color with a slightly pink head sitting on top. Retention is nil but has good pretty lacing.

S- Can't really smell the cherries like I expected to. You can tell it is slightly tart from the smell. Otherwise the thing that stands out is the yeast smell, kinda reminds me of a saison, or slightly like a lager yeast.

T- Sweet cherries with a tart aftertaste. Malt backbone is pronounced, I'm not sure if it really works well with the cherry though. The malt keeps it from being a soda.

M- I like the mouth feel, tiny bubbles keep it very light bodied. Yet it has a nice slick coating in the finish.

D- It's easy to finish a beer, but more than one is too much cherry for me. Overall a decent brew, it was cheap, interesting flavor you don't have every day. Not a super complex taste though. It's worth a try. Not my favorite fruit beer but I'm still just scratching the surface with this style.

4.2/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours a very clear pinkish red, with a pink-tinted head. Globs and threads of lacing show up. This beer has good retention.

Smells like cherries. No surprises here, but it's a very nice aroma.

Tastes like tart cherries and cherry pie.

Cerise is medium-bodied and feels slippery. Nice amount of carbonation. Very drinkable.

I much prefer Rübæus over this, but Cerise is leagues better than most fruit beers I've had.

4.08/5  rDev +12.4%

Appearance: Light ruby red. Big pink hues when held to light. Really nice fine head. Good lacing and carbonation trails from the bottom.

Smell: Sweet cherries. Sugar, with some tart. Really nice and sweet but not as floral and pronounced as I would have hoped

Taste: Sweet and tart cherries. Nice clear aftertaste. Not a whole lot of depth but very nice and refreshing. I really enjoy this.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin but I tend to enjoy that with this flavor of beer. The carbonation plays really well with the tart flavor of the cherries and create a nice pairing.

Overall: A great summer sipper beer. Tart, refreshing, smooth and very drinkable.

3.22/5  rDev -11.3%

12 ounce bottle poured into a tulip.

A - reddish orange hue. No head whatsoever, no lacing.

S - Cherry tartness, almost an apricot scent. Didn't get any hops at all.

T & M - This beer is actually a malt liquor according to the bottle, so can't really compare to other beers. It did taste of sour cherries and had a lot of carbonation / fizz to it. Reminded me of a cider.

D - If you like cider or malted beverages like a Mike's Hard Lemonade or something like that, you might like this.

Wasn't my cup of tea. I usally like all Founders beers, but this one let me down a bit. Again, it's completely different than other beers, so keep that in mind. Don't buy this and expect it to taste like a cherry wheat (Sam Adams) or cherry stout (Bells).

3.39/5  rDev -6.6%

Coming out of the bottle this ale is pink, but then once in my glass it is the reddest beer I've ever had. There's not much head at all and it smells a bit sour and very reminiscent of Sam Adam's Cranberry Lambic.

Please don't let this be as bad as Cranberry Lambic.

Good news... it's not! It actually tastes somewhat like real fruit. I'm detecting some sour cherries, sort of like a frozen cherry pie filling. That's the dominating flavor and after that I'm not getting much else. The beer coats the mouth with sweetness and goes down smooth and easy. I usually don't like fruit beers and this doesn't really change my opinion, but it's one of the best I've had so far. It actually has some real fruit flavor instead of having some fake syrupy taste. I could see myself drinking this again some day.

3.63/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy orange amber color with a reddish tint. A thin white head forms on the top of the pour with no lacing.

S: There is very little aroma to this beer, likely due to a lack of hopping. Some tart cherries and slight sweet apricot aromas in the nose.

T: The beer tastes as one would expect, sweet and tart cherry flavors with apricot in the finish.

M: This is a clean crisp beer. Thin and sweet, it goes down very easily.

D: Overall, this is a pretty good beer. This style is not necessarily my favorite and this beer is rather sweet for prolonged drinking.

3.79/5  rDev +4.4%

We have the standard 12 fl oz brown bottle. The label is a pinkish label with a picture of cherries on it. The name of the beer is in a fancy handwritten looking script under it. In a red banner it states Cherry Fermented ale.

When poured into a glass, there is a pink, ruby grapefruit like color to it. The beer is clear, with no signs of floaters or cloudiness to it at all. You can see right through it, albeit with a pink tint. The head that forms is a light cotton candy like pink color that fades to a film on the top. There is some lacing on the side of the glass. Did I mention it's pink?

The scent is a strong tart cherry scent. There is a mild malt scent to the background that gives the beer a slight musty smell. The taste is much like the smell, cherries and malts. The cherries have both the tartness of real cherries and a bit of a sweetness of cocktail cherries. The flavor is very mild with almost no bitterness to it at all. The aftertaste is barely noticeable. At 6.5% ABV you couldn't taste the alcohol.

This is a light bodied beer, with a mild carbonation. There is no coating to the mouth.

Fruit beers are not normally my forte, yet this one I actually found pleasant to drink. The cherry flavor wasn't overpowering like in some other cherry flavored drinks I've had. Also for 6.5% ABV, this was very easy to drink, almost too easy. In fact I could see myself accidently drinking a six pack of this way too fast.

3.14/5  rDev -13.5%

I know its shocking, but this beer pours cherry red when emptied into a tulip glass, resembling a sparkling red wine. There is a little white head leaving delicate lacing around the edge of the glass.

There is a very subtle aroma of sour Michigan cherry, but little else in the nose.

As far as taste is concerned, the flavors are muted. It has the most pronounced real cherry flavor of any "cherry flavored beer", comparing it to Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and the ilk, but there is little else to the taste, apart from a slight hop bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is where this beer shines. The beer is perfectly carbonated for the style and keeps the flavors from getting too intense.

Overall, a decent beer, but one I won't go out of my way for again. I may change my mind once I try to make a beer float out of it.

Founders Cerise from Founders Brewing Company