Founders Centennial IPA | Founders Brewing Company

Added by beernut7 on 08-13-2002

Ratings: 8,334 |  Reviews: 1,989

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

3.77/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark orange with a nice white lace. The smell is the best part of the beer. It has a nice fresh hopped up smell and it gives you high expectations. The taste is just ok. I really want to like this cause I'm a huge Founders fan, but ultimately I need to be honest with myself and admit that this is a mid level IPA. There are many out there that are a bit smoother and have a nicer hoppy presence. This offering tend to leave a bitter aftertaste that keeps building. I've tried this on many different occasions and its always the same ending. Not a bad beer by any mean, but if I'm reaching for an IPA, I'm looking else where in this case.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a bottle. The appearance was good. I smelled a nice citrus aroma along with a touch of pine and sweetbread. The beer poured a nice two finger head. I'm not going to get into all the details, but I thought it was a well-balanced IPA. A nice hop finish and I will definitely drink again. I drank it at Big Mike's in Brevard, North Carolina

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a nice copper with light head. Very light lacing throughout

Strong nose with pine, grapefruit and a bit of malt/biscuit

Hops jump to the front with almost a resin/bitterness

A strong IpA exactly what I would expect for the style. Very drinkable for abv. Would have again

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

4.01/5  rDev -2.4%

only tried this once back when I was a novice, time to revisit. 12oz bottle 1 month old.

A: A clear light copper, thin white head. Not a ton of lacing.

S: YUM! Straight grapefruit rind, citrus, pure hops. Smells like a fresh pack of centenial hops I use for homebrewing.

T: Hops right off the bat, pure grapefruit, a hint of pineapple maybe, a tiny bit of honey maltiness, but hops really shine through. Its got a bite at the end leaving the palate slightly dry. Great showcase of centennial hops. Very strong hop flavoring, great extraction of flavors.

M: Big carbonation, leaves palate rather dry. Medium in thickness.

O: Steriotypical american Ipa, and thats a complement. Big hop aromas and taste, quite bitter. Not for amateurs. real deal holyfield. Just what the doctor ordered to remedy a hop craving. Reminds me most of Smutty Finest Kind. Very solid overall IPA, a bit overpriced in mass.

Founders Centennial IPA from Founders Brewing Company