Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Founders Nemesis 2009 | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Nemesis 2009Founders Nemesis 2009
4.14/5
Exceptional
Founders Nemesis 2009Founders Nemesis 2009

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Wheatwine

Maple bourbon barrel aged wheat wine.

Added by WYVYRN527 on 02-06-2010

3.25/5  rDev -21.5%

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

4.01/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served cold from a bottle and poured into a tulip.

I tried to let this warm as much as I could as the establishment I ordered it from had it in a fridge.

The appearance was a cloudy orange. I would have liked to have poured this from the bottle myself to allow the yeast sediment to stay in the bottle. Pretty sure that the rough pour made it cloudy.

The nose was mostly maple with some subtle barrel notes.

Mouthfeel was solid and exactly what I would expect from a beer of this style.

The first sip of the beer was sweet and mapley but it quickly started reminding me of a peppermint. I'm a bourbon drinker and I could hardly detect the bourbon save the nose. Perhaps the mint flavor I was getting was a mixture of maple and bourbon but it was so much like peppermint that's all I could compare it to.

If you have this drink it now. I doubt more time would do this beer any good.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

3.78/5  rDev -8.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Sedimenty deep orange. Lots of chunks floating about. No head.

Smell - Nice whiskey aroma. Really smells like bourbon. Sweet caramel and maple. Definite oxidation, but it almost seems appropriate.

Taste - Sweet maple, but it's gone quickly. Bourbon. Lots of oak. Sweet caramel malt. Oxidation throughout.

Mouthfeel - Oaky and bitter. Low carbonation if any.

Overall - The bourbon and maple is very tasty. Oxidation seems to make it more complex.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into a Founders Snifter.

The beer pours a lovely caramel brown color, hues of apricot when struck by the light, very murky, lots of sediment floating in the glass with a finger or so of bone colored head, very soapy and thick that has moderate retention and leaves only the faintest of spotted lace behind. The aroma is very big, lots of soft toffee, rich sweet grain, bourbon is prominent, but not harsh at all, very integrated, cereal grains are also apparent in contrast from the richer, darker malt, maple isn't really noticeable however, but caramel, light wood and vanilla pop out at the back end. It's very complex, big, boozy and sweet. The flavors are in queue, massive amounts of toffee and caramel, bourbon and wood creep in with a bit of vanilla, great barrel character, rich grain with some lighter cracker malt as well, a bit of sticky molasses pops out at the finish. The body is rich, albeit a bit thin, carbonation is lively but on the lower end, coats the mouth well and finishes a bit astringently.

Verdict: Delicious stuff that has aged so nicely. I was only able to detect the faintest touches of oxidation but the layers are so complex. Maple is an afterthought, but the bourbon is potent yet smooth. It's rich, smooth and just a joy to sip.

4.79/5  rDev +15.7%

Bottle poured into my usual tulip glass.

Pours a great orange amber color. The 1/2 finger head fades quickly from the year of age.

The smell is the best part of this beer with smells of bourbon maple and burnt sugar. Simply awesome.

The taste is strongly of bourbon. Tastes similar to Backwoods Bastard in this respect. I wish this was toned down a little bit. The taste of maple and vanilla evens it out a little bit, but not perfectly.

The mouthfeel is great and smooth as can be. No alcohol burn at all.

This is a big beer and could tell right away I had to sip on this for a while. Slight alcohol burn at the end. I wonder how many IBU's were in this one compared to the 100 IBU in the 2010 Nemesis. It seems to be fewer and not as balanced.

I really enjoyed this beer for what it is. At first I thought I would want a lot more of it, and now I think maybe just one more to see how it ages in a few more years would be sufficient.

2013 edit- This beer has aged amzingly and is so much more nuanced and refined. I highly recommend it at this point.

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%