Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Founders All Day IPA Session Ale | Founders Brewing Company

Founders All Day IPA Session AleFounders All Day IPA Session Ale
3.87/5
Very Good
Founders All Day IPA Session AleFounders All Day IPA Session Ale

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Formerly Endurance - All Day IPA.

Added by Avagadro on 06-05-2010

Ratings: 7,246 |  Reviews: 1,013

2.26/5  rDev -41.6%

Figured I would give this one a go... I had heard from multiple friends that it is a great session IPA. Anyway, got a growler fill of it. Looks OK in the glass, pretty much what you would expect a session IPA to be, very low on the SRM chart with a generous amount of carbonation. First impression on the nose was extremely more skunky than expected... almost smelled like B.O. Taste is overwhelmingly B.O. I hate to say it, but this one was a drain pour. In fact, it was so bad that I had to go grab some bottles at the local shop to see if it was just a bad keg. Nope. Bottles had the exact characteristics all around.

2.28/5  rDev -41.1%

2.3/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2

I'm just not an Ipa guy

2.3/5  rDev -40.6%

2.33/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Not bad for a "session" IPA, fairly deep copperish orange, with a sizable head and some lacing.

S: Wow! Kind of like having a pine tree shoved up your nose. I honestly could not pick up anything other than pine-resiny hops. Not necessarily a bad thing, but somewhat unexpected.

T: Um ... Yuck? There is some strongly dominant flavor happening here that I just can't identify. But whatever it is, it ain't good. Given the nose, I would have expected this to have a more hop-forward flavor, and maybe that's what it is, but it ain't like any hops I've ever tasted before.

M: Nothing special, but it is sufficiently carbonated and light enough to be refreshing.

O: I'm pretty disappointed in this one. I'm a big fan of what Founders does and I was really looking forward to my first "All Day." I love IPAs and the thought of being able to consume an extra one or two at a sitting without falling down was very appealing. Unfortunately, this just isn't a beer I want to consume more than one of -- and even one is likely to be too many. This is the oddest tasting IPA I've ever tried. Maybe it will grow on me with time, and I have another 5 to test that hypothesis. But right now, I'm not too optimistic.

2.37/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

I'm not into IPAs and this one is not different. It has woody undertones and is golden in color.

2.39/5  rDev -38.2%

appearance: Light to golden orange with a one finger head that is pretty bubbly and fluffy
Aroma: Very hoppy with citrus notes. The beer has a malt smell with a slightly off undertone. Kind of some kind of funk
Taste: Hoppy with a light taste. Easy to drink "all day" with the low ABV and a refreshing aftertaste.
Overall: good beer with a great taste. Very popular with everyone who drinks it.

2.41/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured a nice, slightly hazy golden color with a nice white soapy head.

Smells like a foot. I can tell there is some mint and hops, but they don't meld and smell like they're fighting. I do not like the way this beer smells, just to be clear. I, in fact, hate the way this beer smells.

Somewhat bitter, but fairly flavorless besides that. It's impressive that it can smell like a foot and taste like nothing in particular. It's a very weak taste. However, very little taste is a dramatic improvement over the smell, but not good enough for a 3. 2.5 feels fair.

The mouth feel... well it feels very carbonated but it dies quickly. The bitterness lingers for a while, but the beer doesn't feel oily. It goes down fairly easily despite the aggressive but fleeting carbonation. This is actually somewhat pleasant, if not a bit too carbonated for my preferences of IPAs.

It's important to note that I don't think a 2.5 is a bad beer. It's not a good beer, but again, I wouldn't turn it down. If this beer didn't smell like it does, it would get a 3. I wouldn't buy it unless the other choices were adjunct lagers, and I couldn't reasonably get to another store or bar. I don't recommend this brew, and I'm glad I only bought one 12 oz. bottle of it.

2.43/5  rDev -37.2%

Basically a pilsner marketed as an IPA, which I find annoying. I tried 6 session IPAs recently, including Founders All Day IPA, and five of them tasted like pilsners. The sixth was more larger than anything else. The information below pertains to Founders.

A - Golden and clear
S - Slight hop aroma with citrus notes present
T - Vaguely hoppy
M - Heavy on carbonation
O - I rated this low because of the apparent marketing ploy to get IPA lovers to drink pilsner-style beers.

2.45/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

2.46/5  rDev -36.4%

I bought a six pack of this last weekend after enjoying many of the other Founders offerings.
A- pale clear golden brown. Not too much head/lacing
S- smelled like a skunky pine cone. I couldn't shake how awful it smelled.
T- the taste was acceptable, but the smell was even off-putting during the drink. Strong piney hop taste with a decent aftertaste
M- a bit flat, without too much appeal.
O- I can honestly say this is one of my least favorite ipas. I'm hoping I got a bad six pack. I'd try another single serving but would definitely not purchase another sixer of this one
Beerdude#3

2.48/5  rDev -35.9%

2.49/5  rDev -35.7%

Tasted more like the can it came in, was very disappointed when I finally got to try this beer.

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Founders All Day IPA Session Ale from Founders Brewing Company