Founders Nemesis 2010 | Founders Brewing Company

4.18/5
Alströms:
4.2

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

I was lucky enough to grab a pint of this on tap at the Black Sparrow in Lafayette. It poured a midnight black with mahogany shades and was medium bodied. It smells kind of like an imperial stout mixed with an American strong ale. It's pretty interesting and luckily nothing like last year's wheatwine. The flavors were sweet with an oaky finish and almost had a maple component to it with some alcohol on the backend. It drank much better than I thought. It wasn't overpowering and was very smooth. I appreciated this one.

4.22/5  rDev +1%

Pours a deep black with an off-white/tan head and a bit of lacing as it goes down. Smell is incredible with a good amount of roasted malt alongside a fairly-dominant odor of resinous piney hops. A bit of citrus as well. Everything melds really well into the taste. Mouthfeel is full yet dry. Drinkability is a bit lower, as there is some alcohol heat, which will hopefully subside with a bit of age. Really looking forward to seeing how this develops.

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

On tap at Acadia Cafe.

Solid black, creamy tan head, leaving lace, and dwindling down.

Aroma is bourbon and roasted malt. Toasty, roasty, smoky, but smooth and chocolatey. Vanilla and charcoal blended as one.

Taste: tons going on here, a great blend of flavors, as you'e expect from any barley-wine, but even more with this bourbon-barrel blended version.

Black malt, black strap molasses, dense and delicious. Rich, and smooth. A paradox at play on the palate. Not too anything, but just right. But, at 12%, and so thick and rich, this is a nightcapper. Can't see having more than one. Oh, wait, what about the other day when I had three? Well, don't use me as a yardstick. Even I know that.

Definitely decadent, outrageously over-the-top, unflaggingly flavorful. Can't beat it. Yum, I say, Founders, yum.

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%

A- Very dark garnet, almost stout-like until it is held up to the light. A half inch of light tan head quickly dissipates, giving way to a decent ring of lace.

S- Again, almost stout-like with immediate aromas of coffee, molasses, chocolate, and caramel. The intense maltiness is backed by a piney hop presence that struggles to crack through the malty fortress and only barely succeeds. A touch of fruit in the form of black cherries is evident, as is a strong dose of alcohol. Outstanding.

T- Syrupy malt is quickly balanced by piney, earthy hops before it gets cloying. Fantastic balance between roasted and sweet flavors. The hops add a nice bitterness that truly complements that malt rather than clashing.

M- Thick and slightly syrupy, balanced only a little by the relatively light carbonation. Very appropriate for the style.

D- Goes down way too easy for a 12% beer. I could smell the alcohol, but damned if I can taste it. It's rich and flavorful but so smooth and easy to drink. A sipper for sure, but I could "sip" about two or three bottles' worth.

A gnat flew into my beer about five minutes into my enjoyment of it. Did that stop me from drinking the rest? Hell no! Like the Irishman of joke, I pulled him out and commanded him to spit out what he had drunk. He died rather than relinquish his precious bounty. That's how good this beer is. Seriously, one of the best barleywines I've ever had. I have to get more of this to age. Highly recommended.

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%

A: Pours a very dark brown with a small tan head that dies off quickly to a collar that stays put. A little bit of spotty lacing here and there.

S: Resinous grapefruit and citrus hops with rich toasted carmel malt dominate. There is also some dark fruits, molasses and rum soaked raisins. Alcohol is also present behind all the aromas as it warms.

T: Tons of sticky, gooey pine and grapefruit hops fight with large amounts of roasted toffee malt, dark fruits, vanilla and dates. Eventually, the pungent hops win. The bitter, resiny hop finish comes back and lasts long. Some booziness to it as well near the finish.

M: Full bodied. Low carbonation. Very silky and somewhat thick feeling.

D: Pretty good drinkability. A sipper, but its hard to just sip since its so tasty and intriguing. Half pungent, resiny DIPA meets Imperial Stout. A new style...? DBIPA, (Double Black India Pale Ale) You can tell its strong, but not that strong, just a little bit of "hotness" to it.

I have a feeling this is going to be awesome with some age on it.

**Last one of the four pack. Drank on 5/7/13** Scores are from the original review.

A: Dark brown/black. Small light khaki head that dies off quickly.

S: Dark fruits, black cherries, figs and dates. Some pine/resiny hops lurking in the background still it seems like. Just a hint of oxidation I believe I'm picking up. A bit of booziness still left too... Amazing.

T: Wow, this held up really well. Still tastes a lot like it did back in the fall of 2010. I get the rich toffee malt with the dark stone fruits, figs, dates and black cherries with the hops still fighting for attention. Everything has melded together into one tasty package that is all over the board. There is still a fairly decent piney hop bite near the finish. Finish is really long, roasty and hoppy. Again, a bit of heat still.

M: On the low side of full bodied. Low carbonation.

O: Can't believe how much this still tastes like it did over 2.5 years ago. Flavors just seemed more melded together. I could of let this one go even longer I think, maybe not though.

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

Finally managed to find this in my area -- sadly, there were only selling it in singles. I guess if I like it I'll go back and buy 4 more for waxing. Review is from notes taken on 9/16/2010 and poured from the bottle to a snifter.

Appearance: Pour is a deep dark brown/near black with some deep ruby highlights on the pour; starts with a short 1/4 finger loose, but dark tan, head that fades immediately to nothing other than a thin wisp floating around the center of the surface; body is actually pretty much opaque once it settles; a few spots and strands of the tan lacing is left holding on to the sides of the glass.

Smell: On the crack, there are tons spicy and bitter hops right up front; once it settles in the glass for a little bit, it definitely gets a little bit more complex -- the bitter and grassy hops are definitely present, but there are also some burnt roasty malts, and, good god, man, is that chocolate? I think it is. I'm intrigued. Nose is pretty potent, and comes with some alcoholic burn, but considering that it's an even 12%, this is to be expected.

Taste: Wow, once I get past the huge blast of bitter and grassy hops that the nose led me to believe would be there, I'm next assaulted by a lot of burnt roastiness that adds to the bitterness of the hops; at first, I'm a tad disappointed because it kind of reminds me of just a souped up, big alcohol Black IPA, but then the more subtle nuances of the sweeter malts find their way to my palate and there is a very smooth and silky semi-sweet chocolate that really rounds out the palate.

Mouthfeel: Body is of medium weight and starts to lean a bit towards the heavier side; carbonation is essentially a non-factor it comes across a bit flat, but not in an unappetizing way as it's pretty much fitting of the style (IMHO); a very thick and cottony dry sticky coating is left all over the palate and I feel like I need to have a glass of water with this one to replenish my mouth with any kind of moisture; belly is left quite warm and the gums are left tingly from all the alcohol lingering in this one.

Drinkability: While it's very good, I have to say it's moderate because of the weight and the big ABV, but really, I would kind of expect that anyway (not to mention that it was $5.50 per bottle). I will say that this is much better than the '09 -- not nearly the hot mess that awaited me upon opening that one fresh.

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

Finally getting around to reviewing this one.

Poured into old guardian glass.

Pours almost 1 finger of tan head. Fades to a ring but leaves some sticky lace all the way down the glass. Color is a dark caramel brown that settles close to black.

Aroma: Very sweet and hoppy. I get some toffee malt with a lot of pine with a big wave of orange citrus following. Then I get a bit of roasted malts. Very odd bwine, but a nice aroma.

Taste: Pretty different from the nose. Tons of citrus and juicy hops. Floral and pine hops and of them. Awesome hoppiness here. Roasted malts which come after with a touch of vanilla. The malt profile is roasted with a touch of caramel. It goes well with this beer.

Mouthfeel: Very bitter with some alcohol showing. Ends roasted and hot. Full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends very dry and sticky.

Overall, this is a very unique bwine, but I like it. I love the hop profile and the roasted malts add a really nice layer. It is a little hot right now, but at 12% I can expect it a bit. Drinks rather quick for the 12%. Good stuff.

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

On-Tap at the Hulmeville Inn twice into a 12oz glass. Excited to try this one off the spout, Review# 800.

Dark chocolate black with some dark plum red spots near the edges. A cream colored cap graces the top and holds on forever, although the cap does not hold on to the glass as well. Minimal lacing. This beer looks big and by all means it is.

Does not quite smell like a B-wine with all the dark 'ingredients' within. I do get some of barleywine country underneath a plethora of malt with some roasted ability. Caramel, plum and some phenol alcohol comes up with warming. Small amount of chocolate mixed with vanilla beans. Hoppiness is subdued but there.

This 'Black' Barleywine has minimal true barleywine tastes. To me it's a mix between a light barleywine (Think Boulder Killer Penguin), old world porter and even slight old ale characteristics. The only thing making me think B-wine is the resinous hop appeal ala Bigfoot. I get malt sweetness with roast, chocolate, cocco, nuts, caramel, plums. Basically a barleywine buried under a sea of malt. I guess the base barleywine met his Nemesis in the tanks and they duked it out.

This is a slick beer for 12% no doubt about it. This is a tame monster. Goes down easy with no hotness whatsoever. This is off the tap, so Im guessing there is some variation when it comes to bottles being harsher and hotter. A biggish above medium body that is carbed up, but you cant tell. The body is my favorite aspect of 2010.

A sipper for sure, I sipped this for an hour or so watching Monday Night Football. It's O.k. beer but nothing mindblowing. Kinda simple for a Founders beer. While being huge, this remains easy but is a monster in disguise. Im not sold on the taste or distinction though. If I bought bottles i would crack them soon as I think this one really has no room to grow.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

Beautiful dark mahagoney with a cream colored head. Very hoppy, resinous, alcoholic, and sweet smell. Moving on to taste this beer delivers. Hoppy and malty sweet, dark fruits, hops and malt with a hoppy, resinous dryer finish.

I really like this newer black DIPA/Barleywine style as it melds so many great flavors and smells. It seems to be growing in popularity and Founders has produced a winner here.

I am definately going to seek this out again. It seemd like it will age well and is certainly far more drinkable out of the gate than last years release.

3.45/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had this one on tap at Old Chicago to start my World Beer Tour.

A- Basically pitch black, with a very small tan head. Slight lacing throughout.

S- Small amounts of malts, but not much here, braced myself for what was ahead

M- For how dark this beer was it was that heavy, medium mouthfeel with slight carbonation.

T- An explosion of flavors here. Lots of malts, with a hint of black licorice. Reminds me of a milder version of Bell's Batch 9000.

D- Probably could only have one of these at a time for a special occasion. Would go great with a nice streak

4.24/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into Chimay chalice.

A- Pours a deep root beer brown but is pretty light around the edges. Not much of a head to speak of and just leaves a ring around the beer and no lacing.

S- Wow, talk about hoppy. I thought that 100IBU was an exaggeration but from the smell, nope. After the initial hop burst, the malt really starts to come through. Some good sweetness and dark fruits start to come through. Figs and dates mostly.

T- This beer has my taste buds going absolutely crazy. I pick up the hops followed by what seems to be dark roasted malts, liken to an imperial stout. Black licorice and again, the dark fruits hidden in the background. This is super complex and very well balanced. Do not judge this beer by the nose alone. The alcohol is very well hidden.

M- This is medium bodied but I was expecting it to be a little fuller. A nice smooth feel to it though and you get a little bit of heat as well on the back of the throat.

D- This beer is a sipper for sure but I like it that way. The more sips I take, the more flavors I am able to detect. It only gets better as it warms up.

4.07/5  rDev -2.6%

I have to be honest, this is a style that I usually just do not "get." I rarely find anything truly enjoyable about them and often try them because I feel like I'm desperate to make our relationship better. Luckily Founders pulled through for me and brewed a barleywine that was actually appealing, a feat accomplished by only a couple other breweries. This had a very dark brown appearance with a frothy cream head which produced some scattered lacing, great retention. Definitely smelled alcohol on the nose but it was followed by a very bready aroma with burnt chocolate and coffee. It had a rich malty flavor that interplayed with a nicely balanced hop bitterness. It was thick on the tongue, somewhat syrupy with the perfect amount of carbonation to offset the thickness. Pretty strange taste but the dark malts and toffee flavors were the most prominent. A whole lot of shaking going on in this one and I would love to try it again but I doubt I will have the chance.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

As a large fan of heavy stouts... The nemesis was a natural choice for my self. The color was much dark in the snifter than what I originally anticipated. The Aroma was very sweet and the hints of Oak were obviously twisted around the sent of alcohol. The Flavor was great but very strong. I took me nearly 45 mins to sip down this tasty treat.

I will say... I enjoyed this beer a couple of time already this year but there is no way I would drink 2 back to back.

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

From the man known as Masterski. Thanks for looking out for me Alex.

A: Pours a nice rich black hue with an nice tan head. Nice retention and some nice sheets of lace.

S: Aromas of roasted malt, chocolate, char, and grassy green hops.

T: Very bold roast just short of char. Grassy hops and loads of chocolate malt. Hints of coffee and a bit of toffee. Light ash with a bit of citrus.

M: On the fuller side of body, rich and smooth. The hops are still present without being too bitter. Boldly roasted from start to finish.

D: Good I like it. I want more to age a bit.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Pours a very solid mahogany brown color with a thin off-white cream head that recedes quick.

S - Delicious sweetness up front followed by some nice hop citric blast. Definitely a hop bomb in the nose. Some tangerine and pineapple aromas are present as well. The malt is not as present as in other Barleywines aromas.

T & M - Wow! Very delicious starts off with some smooth tasty and roasted malt sweetness. Then the citric hop bomb qualities show up. Very delicious as the coat the mouth in a matter of seconds. This beer is delicious and smooth and the booze is dangerously hidden. There are some great orange and slight pineapple flavors and the finish also has some roasted coffee hints and a nice dry hop finish. Wow Founders have done it again. Nemesis 2009 was great and eye-opening but they have really hit their stride here.

D - Delicious crisp and dangerously low ABV presence. Flavors are smooth and not too intense or overwhelming.

3.19/5  rDev -23.7%

Shared this at a tasting the other night and only had a few ounces. Couldn't get a good feel on it, so decided to open my 2nd and only other bottle. Pours a very dark brown color, but necessarily black, with some ruby red highlights. A one finger head formed and stuck around, great lacing for the high ABV. Aroma is mostly hoppy upon first whiff. Definite notes of pine needles and booze, but not really picking up on much else. Isn't this supposed to be a "black barleywine?" Where's the roast and sweetness? So, I'm having trouble trying to describe what this beer tastes like. It's kinda hoppy, not really bitter. Hops are piney, and slightly fruity, maybe hints of grapefruit in there. Roast is also there in the flavor which I couldn't pick up on in the aroma. There's a decent balance between the slightly bitter and chocolately roasted malts, the average bitterness, and the sweetness of the beer. But the booze really starts to come through on the back end and isn't very well hidden. Body is full with carbonation on the lighter side of medium. This is an OK beer, but nothing to get crazy about. An A- is overrated for this beer in my opinion. While not the same style, fresh '09 Nemesis is the better beer. This was sort of a let down, and just a decent tasting ASA, and nothing more.

3.68/5  rDev -12%

On draft at Founders poured into an oversized tulip glass. Pours a dark brown with a slight tan head. Nice lacing. Dark roast, hops, and slight licorice aromas in the nose. Really boozy tasting. Slightly sweet, booze, then hops bitterness. Ends fairly cleanly. I'm torn, the booze is a little much and it is a little sweet but otherwise not bad and fairly drinkable. Medium mouthfeel.

3.86/5  rDev -7.7%

Review #100!

Thanks to Jaimie at From the Vine for holding this 4-pack for me.

The beer pours a dark black with no real head to it. Slightly thick and viscous leaving spotted sticky lace on my snifter.

Smells very sweet, well hopped and bitter, and rich with the twangs of figs, dates, raisins and syrupy brown sugar. All the while a nice deep malt backbone holds up the lighter notes in the smell.

The taste is immediately malty. Very sweet, very boozy. Bitter on the finish, but 100 IBUs? Meh... I think we need to rethink that adage of "anything over 100 IBUs is undetectable to most humans." When you have a beer that is this big, and this complex, the hops have a LOT to fight through to get noticed. I think even more hops could have been employed here imo. Dark raisins and figs flitter in and out as I finish my glass.

The beer is light to medium bodied. Very very boozy... I don't know. Maybe living in OH under a 12% abv cap I don't get to experience the high end of abv in beer enough, but this was definitely a sipper. Split the bottle with a friend, a whole 12oz bottle would have ended the night for me.

Overall impressions: I never got to try the 2009 version, which probably works in my favor anyways. They are different beers, so I came into this without any preconceptions or personal bias. I certainly like this beer, BUT, at $20+ a 4-pack, I feel it is grossly overpriced...

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

2010 Bottle thanks to badnewsbeers. Pours with a thick deep mahogany body and a small, tight tan head that fades to a ring. Some alcohol legs, and head is easily brought back by a quick swirl. Aroma of nuts, cocoa, booze (rum and brandy), hops (highlighted by pine and light citrus), brown sugar, light smoke, light esters, chewy fudge. Taste is brown sugar, smoke, roasted malt, lots of caramel, light coffee, nuts, fudge. Lingering bitterness and caramelized sugar. Lots of coffee on mid palate through the finish. Big, syrupy mouthfeel, medium alcohol burn. Thick and creamy. Medium to light carbonation. Good beer.

4.07/5  rDev -2.6%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Snifter.

Appearance: Extremely dark reddish-brown with minimal head but some nice lacing lines.

Smell: Citrus, caramel, cherry and roasted barley. Smells like a cross between a Barleywine, an IPA and an Imperial Stout.

Taste: Taste mostly follows the aroma. Strong citrusy hops balance a caramel, cherry and dark fruit malt backbone. A light roasted character contributes some chocolate and coffee. Fairly bitter finish.

Feel: Low carbonation, with a full, boozy, smooth and oily body. Somewhat dry finish.

Drinkability: Interesting and fascinating beer that straddles the line between a Barleywine and a Black IPA. Reminds me of Surly Darkness or Goose Island Nightstalker but with the malt center of a Barleywine. Despite its strengths, it is not something I feel a strong desire to return to.

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a deep brown. Small head that disappears after a minute a two. Lacing left.

S- Sweet. Somehow you can smell the alcohol. "Earthy".

T- Sweet, sweet barleywine. Very rich. Some chocolate notes. Well balanced. Alcohol warmth at the end, especially as it warmed.

M- Thickish. Nice and chewy.

D/O- Had this at Old Chicago. Very surprised to see it so I had to have it. Took me about an hour to drink a 12 oz. bottle. Would love to have a 4 pack and age it a few years!

4.17/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

Pours dark with a brown/tan head on it. Comes out a little thicker than I expected.

Smells sweet and hoppy with alcohol making its way in there.

Tastes sweet and full then gives way to hop notes and alcohol. Slight bitter ending to it and changes from the front of the tongue to the back.

It takes your taste buds on a rollercoaster of flavor. Its not harsh on the tongue and no bite. Its almost like a liquid candy.

Delicious beer. Really well put together.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

On tap at Brass Rail Deli on 9/13/10. Served in a 10oz. goblet.

A - Raisin black with deep violet hues and half a finger of bubbly beige head that reduced to a foamy ring of suds but yielded lots of spotted lacing.

S - Resinous hops, alcohol and dark pitted fruit comprise the base of the Barleywine and, at first sniff, that's about all you get. Fast forward twenty minutes later and, after the liquid warmed up a bit, notes of sweet tobacco, spearmint, citrus fruit and milk chocolate all emerge to create a very pleasant aroma.

T - Opens with a resinous hop bite with a mild alcohol presence, then quickly segues into a cool chocolate malt character with a tinge of woody, earthy hop notes. A wash of hops returns in the backend suggesting sticky pine, citrus fruit and more resin. Yup, this is definitely an American Barleywine... love them hops! The citrus and chocolate attributes work together to create the essence of chocolate dipped orange slices, if you can imagine.

M - Full bodied with a thick, rich mouthfeel and a smooth, chewy texture. Feels like a liquid tootsie roll at times. Moderate carbonation provides a hint of bristle on the palate. Finishes with a lingering hop bite on the tongue.

D - This year's Nemesis finds hops battling malt for supremacy and, although the hops are victorious, this is still a very well-balanced Barleywine. The alcohol never gets too obtrusive either. This was delicious, and it is certainly a worthy successor to last year's excellent barrel-aged Wheatwine.

Shared by BrewerDan in a standard pint glass. This poured a dark brown with a smallish mocha nead. Lacing was decent and lasting. The nose was boozy, ripe fruits, coffee and dark chocolate. The taste was a nice interplay between rich dark malts and bitter hops with notes of chocolate, coffee, toffee and dark fruit. Some booziness was always there as well. There was a lot going on here. Mouthfeel is toward heavy, very creamy with fairly low carbonation. This was a complex and interesting brew I will try again for sure.

3.97/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a coffee brown color with a modest, but tight-bubbled head that leaves some patchy lace behind

Smell: This is one of those beers that I could smell all day, with a big pithy grapefruit character with a chocolate/burnt caramel aspect underneath

Taste: Starts out with the burnt caramel flavor that by mid-palate is utterly destroyed by the 100 IBUs of pith and pine; the longer you swirl it in your mouth, the more intense it becomes, just assaulting every taste receptor on the tongue; the chocolate starts to appear underneath, as well, along with a hint of vanilla that leaves me wondering about a bourbon barrel influence; after the swallow, the flavors merge together but the tongue is so devastated that it is hard to recover

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: More like a black double IPA than a barleywine, this one just is too much for my palate; to use the byline from another brewery who might also have brewed this beer, I guess I am not worthy

Nb: Tried this beer again in Nov 2011 and rather enjoyed it. The caramel and chocolate flavors, up front, blend nicely with the piney hops (which no longer assault the tongue)

Founders Nemesis 2010 from Founders Brewing Company