Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale

Added by Thorpe429 on 09-01-2011

Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 16
3.56/5  rDev +2.6%

A: founders gruit boasts a delicate amber color, with light lacing, great clarity, and just a ring of white froth around the glass.

S: the bouquet is on the quiet side, with only wisps of floral goodness coming through. I would like to see a bit more vigor here.

T: this is one of the most interesting brews I've ever come across. It is incredibly floral, but contains enough bitterness to balance out the dry grainy goodness. As hard as it is pinpoint the flavors within, this beer is both well-balanced and delicious.

M: very light body, clean texture, but a touch flat on the carbonation. I wouldn't mind a bit more effervescence here.

O: I have honestly never had a gruit before, but I can day from a beer standpoint, this example a masterpiece. I love coming to the taproom, because I am always delighted by their one-offs.

3.53/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Growler
Served in a pint glass

A - It has an amber, almost orange, body. It is topped with an inch of off white head.

S - Very herbal. I get some lavender. Lots of spices.

T - Lots of spices. The lavender is the the only one I can nail down. I believe it has some yarrow in it as well.

M - Thin but smooth

O - It is different than styles that I am used to, and it was very different from the only other beer in this style that I have tried. It's worth a try, but I'm not sure its worth a growler try.

3.53/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Founders last weekend. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a clear golden color with a good white head and some slight lacing on the way down. The nose brings forward loads of sage. Really heavy on the sage with some other herbs and a bit of bread there as well. Flavor is full of slightly-bitter sage and herbs plus faint malt. Dry finish. Strange, but I wouldn't say that I didn't like it.

3.43/5  rDev -1.2%

A- Half-inch white head that quickly recedes. Beer is a light translucent amber color with red hues.

S- Smells like cigarettes, menthol.

T- It's odd (for me anyway). Eucalyptus, slight spice. Apple juicy, sweet aftertaste. "Halls." Like nothing I've had thusfar.

M- Smooth. Medium-thin mouthfeel. Low carbonation.

D/O- Very interesting. Different, but drinkable. Would be interested in trying others in the style. Thanks again Kirk!

3.4/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

On tap at the brewery Tasting Room. I am found of the style. and this hits the style, but not the best representation of it. Bay leave and spices yet only neutral aroma dark colour with a light head. The attempt was to be unoffensive rather than boldly make and serve it.

Founders Gruit from Founders Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.