Founders Porter | Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Porter

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

#738
Liked:
4.25/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 7,392 |  Reviews: 1,648
4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

poured to a duvel glass.

appearance is jet black with one finger head. very nice lacing. very smooth with subtle hoppiness with dark chocolate notes. the aftertaste of this beer is excellent.

I've had several Porters, however this one is definitely the best I've had. I've been looking for this one for some time. Edmund Fitzgerald was my benchmark until I tried this.

If you don't have access to this, trade for it. If you have access to it, relish it.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

Bottle has a gothic style portrait of a pale white woman wearing all black with the words, "Dark, Rich & Sexy". Pretty hilarious if you ask me. 6.5% ABV and 45 IBUs clearly marked. No freshness date. Poured this one into a tulip glass. Utter darkness. A foamy, tan head quickly dissipates with a nice sticky lacing.

Smell of raisins and heavy, fresh baked bread come through first. Roasted malts, coffee and dark, over-ripe fruit fall are all present as well. The scent is balanced and almost wholesome.

Taste. Roasted malts, coffee, raisins, chocolate and just a touch of hop bitterness to round out it out. Finish is very similar to a sip of nice dark coffee. Lovely.

The mouthfeel. Rich, full and deep. Exactly what I want from a porter. I find myself utterly content with this portion of the beer. I am left wanting nothing.

Drinkability. Does this beer define this word? It might. It's just a pleasure sipping on this brew. Relaxing, enjoying the lovely taste and it goes down so agreeably. More, please.

look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle poured into a Dogfish Head Pint glass

A:Dark burnt sienna in appearance, an amazing Dark Mocha Head that holds its own 3 minutes in. Nice white foam lace, holding the top part of the beer head. Amazing! Defiantly the best looking Porter Head I have ever seen!

S:- Sweet fig, Chicory barrel, burnt French roast, dark cocoa, dark overly dry raisins.

T:- Burnt chocolate bitters, sweeter chicory barrel, nice dark fruit, sweet figs. Sweeter than most porters that I have tried.

M : Medium body, sweet and slightly creamy mouthfeel, it was served cold, and downed quickly while watching IN the Mouth Of Madness. A porter with a nice lingering finish, Top 3 material.

O: Top 3 Porters that I must have on Cask. Founders astounds again, my go to Porter which is easily attainable in my area. Get a 4 pack now!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer is jet black, with a thick, beige head. A thick sheet of lacing coats the pint glass. No room for improvement here.

The aroma...ahh. Roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee. What a welcoming scent.

The beer tastes fantastic as well. Teeming with flavor, this is one of the finest porters I have ever had. Chocolate and roast in beautiful harmony.

The feel is medium to full bodied, and silky smooth.

I highly recommend this beer. When it comes to stouts and porters, Founders Brewing Co. is simply world class.

Porter season lets gooo
Served in a pint

A: Pours a fine opaque pitch black, with a short caramel head with a good amount of lacing

S: Smells chocolatey, woody, toffee, coffee, very aromatic

T: Very sweet and rich, very mellow, picking up on vanilla, very chocolatey, hops at the finish

M: extremely refreshing and mellow, light carbonation, the way I like it, very smooth, not much after taste, finishes warm leaving you wanting more.

O: Heard good things about Founders, they dominate the top beer lists on this site, and rightfully so, this is a great porter. Its tasteful, sweet, perfect balance of carbonation and flavor, its refreshing, fulfilling and rich, great beer.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a dark brown, almost black with sediment. It had a very small tan/cinnamon colored head that quickly disappeared. The smell was malts with dark chocolate and coffee upfront and a bit of something roasted. The taste was unsweetened chocolate and roasted coffee. It was deliciously creamy. A hint of the smoke/roast profile shined through. The finish had some dark fruits. It lingered nicely and the creamy texture was the highlight of this beer.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First, I only review beers that I find exceptional.

This is my favorite Porter that can be found on tap year round at my Winkin Lizards bar close to my bowling alley. (Sadly, this is the only place I can find it)
I drink 1 or 2 of these while consuming a Italian Sub sandwich every week before bowling.
They help put me in the right "Frame" of mind.

I'm a home brewer and wish I could duplicate this kick butt beer.

Pours black with a one inch chocolaty head made of microscopic bubbles. YUM
The smell reminds me of eating chocolate while drinking black coffee.
Taste is a repeat of the smell.
Perfect.
For some reason I get a really good buzz off this beer.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

Finally back in bottles! Pours into my glass a deep dark charcoal with a half inch of rich tan head on top that leaves some spotty lacing behind. Aromas of dense roasted malt accompanied by luscious dark chocolate and coffee. Almost like chocolate cake with a slight undertone of dark fruits and anise. Rich and robust, draws you in.

First sip brings dark roasted malts upfront with a tad bit of sweetness, quickly followed up by bitter dark chocolate and coffee flavors. Dark fruits and anise mingle with a caramel undertone. Slight burnt note on the way down with a touch of hops. Great aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is spot on. Not too heavy and not too light with the perfect creamy smoothness that makes it go down so easy. This is just a great drinking porter and one I could easily session at any time. I think this will make my list of beers to keep on hand for daily drinking. Well worth seeking out for fans of porters.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a deep brown, almost black body with one finger of tan head that stuck around almost the entire glass. Overall impression of appearance is of a wonderful porter. Scents of black coffee, rich dark chocolate. roast malt and hints of coffee with cream, toffee, and a burnt character with light floral notes. Overall impression of aroma is of a deep, rich porter, very true to form and well done with an array of aromas on display. Flavor begins rich and deep with notes of roast malt, black coffee and bitter cocoa with light notes of toffee and very light fruity hints. Middle continues this flavor, adding bittersweet chocolate and light burnt caramel notes. Finish is roasty and bitter with notes of coffee with cream, black coffee and roast malt along with a light sweet caramel. Aftertaste is of burnt toast and roast malt. Overall impression of flavor is of a fantastic porter, deep and rich with a nice variety. Very good. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy with a moderate carbonation. Overall impression of mouthfeel is of a very good porter. Overall this is an amazing American Porter, one of the finest examples of the style. All aspects are close to perfect and a wonderful example of the style. A truly wonderful porter.

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

A - Dark chocolate brown with a fair head. Beautiful.

S - Wow this one packs a punch! Lots of smokey notes backed up with roasted malts, chocolate and a bit of coffee.

T - Silky and smooth with lots of smokey chocolate character. Incredibly refreshing and satisfying, cannot get enough of this crisp well crafted flavor.

M - The highlight of this brew in my opinion. Perfect progression and minimal carbonation that compliments the texture of the brew. This is truly well executed, one can taste the effort that the brewers at Founders put into this brew.

O - One of my favorite brews from Founders for its consistency and year round availability. For $10 I hesitate to say there is a much better deal out there for 6 of these bad boys. I have tasted more refined brews but for your "everyday" porter, I see none better.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured into a 12 oz glass. Color is inky, coffee-esque black.

Smell is overpoweringly of roasted malts, almost burnt. Strong black coffee and chocolate notes.

Taste is extremely smooth. The exceptionally balanced roasted characteristics make for a very easy, yet quite rich, drink. Some nutty flavors were also in evidence. Taste was a bit more understated than the smell might suggest (which I'm okay with), but the coffee and chocolate were pleasantly noticable.

A very delicious porter; it'd be nearly impossible for me to drink more than a couple though. A perfect brew for a cold winter night (or morning). One of my favorites to date.

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

You know on my last run to the liquor store I grabbed a Founder’s product. I mean come on, everything they make is good, I’ve never had a bad Founders. It’s to the point of ridiculous now, but oh well. Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance – Pours a jet, oily black color with a thin tan head that leaves no lacing and disappears rapidly. It looks so tasty, I don’t even care about the lack of head or lacing. Doesn’t concern me in the slightest.

Smell – A powerful nose this one has….roasts, smoke, chocolate, a touch of coffee, everything you think when you think good porter. This is going to be an excellent beer.

Taste – A good roasted malt up front, followed by the smoke and chocolate at the back end of the sip. Excellently balanced, other porters dream about tasting this good. Just a hint of bitter at the very end. Outstanding, right on the money.

Mouthfeel – This is likely the best part of the brew. Creamy, silky, smooth, beautiful. I could easily put a sixer of this down in no time. It’s just so smooth and rich.

Overall – Best American porter I’ve had to date. All the elements combine to make a beer that is absolutely superior. Highly recommended, excellent brew, awesome brewery, I just can’t say enough good things about them. Good everyday porter, sessionable, etc. Just an excellent beer.

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 4/25/16. Poured from 12 oz bottle to 25cl snifter at 60F.
A:Dark! could easily be called a stout from appearances. Dark tan head with strong lacing that recedes to a thin layer over the beer.
S: Blended, with some coffee and charred notes meeting sweet malt notes.
T: Honestly, first thought was bacon, but subtle. Particularly, due to a moderate smokiness and a maple-like malt sweetness. Some burnt/astringent notes, some coffee/chocolate. Hop bitterness was hard to discern from strong burnt flavors but they seem to lend an earthy note. Burnt notes persist on the tongue.
M: Mouthfeel is appropriate with medium carbonation and a satisfying consistency without being overly thick.
O: Excellent beer, but powerful. Sometimes I see porters as a "stout light", this is not that porter.

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance: Pours a dark black color with two finders worth of dark tan head. The head collapsed fairly quickly, but left decent spotty lacing on the walls of my pint glass.
Smell: Dark roasted malt and black malt dominate with chocolate, sorghum, and coffee present as well.
Taste: The flavor profile is a rich combination of the things in the nose with plenty of roasted grain, a touch of grassy hops, dark chocolate, and coffee combine into a wonderful drinking experience.
Mouthfeel: Good carbonation with coats the mouth nicely, with the alcohol hidden quite well.
Drinkability: I will certainly be buying this beer again. This is pretty much everything I am looking for in a porter.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

Starts off with a great aroma of roasted taffey, if there is such a thing. My girlfriend says caramel. Head is thick and brown, good retention. Silky mouth feel, sticks to the roof of the mouth like again, some kind of candy. Washes quickly over the palate and finishes clean, very clean for a porter. Simply a roasty treat. I usually catergorize beers as to what I would be doing or where I would be while drinking them: the Founders Porter definitely up there with a hockey-match on the tube while it's 15degrees outside. Kind of like right now. Cheers.
Oh, and the label on my bottle says it's 6.5percent???

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Cannot understand America's obsession with fruity, hoppy IPAs when there are dark gems like this porter. What a great beer.

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company