Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Founders Porter | Founders Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Porter

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

Reviews: 1,555 | Ratings: 7,075
4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Founders Porter has a medium-to-thick, beige head, an extremely dark brown appearance, and a touch, here and there, of lacing left behind. The aroma is rich, sweet, dark-roasted malt, coffee, cream, and chocolate. Taste is of the same, with significant acidity and bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy and slick, and Founders Porter finishes semi-dry, delicious, and super-drinkable. Just a great, great beer!

RJT

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

A - Pours pitch black with a burnt caramel colored head. Nice soapy lacing.
S - Sweet coffee, vanilla, bready, roasted malts and baker's chocolate.
T - Coffee, bitter chocolate, vanilla and sweet milk. Nice medium heavy body. Creamy thick mouthfeel.
O - An absolutely amazing, 5 star porter!
V - Medium value.

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Founders Porter is an opaque, brown-black beer with a brown sugar-colored froth that stays put. It has an aroma of roasty malts, caramel or brown sugar and zesty hops. Wow. It has a very American smell. It's pretty full bodied and soft. It vanishes from the mouth quickly and leaves the tongue a bit scratchy. It has flavors of dark malt, roastiness and maybe chocolate. A sort of lemon peel bitterness and some sort of grass or hay and spice seem to come from the hops. It's balanced perfectly. It's bold and delicious. This shows everyone what a porter is all about.

4.89/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance is black with a nice tan head that dissipates quickly

Smell is a nice roasted coffee and chocolate

The taste is rich chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, nuts, hints of Carmel and smokey wood. It is phenomenal!

Mouthfeel is a nice full bodied creamy feel. Drinks almost like a stout would.

Overall, another amazing brew by founders. This is my favorite porter out there! And one of my favorite brews. I highly recommend this.

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours deep black with medium brown head that persists. Initial aroma is fragrant flowery but this quickly disappears after tasting to become intense chocolate, roasted coffee and malt. Full bodied mouthfeel. Taste is well balanced with a strong, yet not overwhelming, coffee flavor. The hops were not evident even though the IBU stated on label implies a high level of 45.

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This has clearly become my favorite porter over the past few years. The first time I had this porter was from a bottle and I fell in love instantly.

When I learned that my local distributor carried 1/4 barrels all year long I switched to the porter on tap. What a wonderful difference...on tap it is very creamy, smooth, and tasty with a thick, foamy head that leaves you with a beer mustache. Wonderful blend of coffee and chocolate hits you right away with a noticeable hop kick on the back end.

Founder's hits another home run with this delicious brew. You will not be disappointed!

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

This pours a dark molasses-cola color. There’s a big roasty aroma on it, full of dark chocolate and espresso beans. Great roasty flavor on it as well with a bit of a hop sharpness at the finish thanks to the 45 IBUs. The bitterness becomes most present as the flavor tapers off, not a floral/citrus hoppiness but a sharp bitter bite that complements the roast and dark chocolate flavors. Well-rounded and amazingly enjoyable. Wishing I brought a sixer of this back with me as I finished this one all too easily.

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

This is my absolute favorite porter! Every time I'm at my local beer store, Peabody's, and I'm looking for a libation to warm me up on these cold mountain winters, the Founder's Porter is what I reach for. I love everything about this beer! The taste is awesome with dark, roasted malts and just enough hop flavor and aroma to compliment that dark, rich, and sexy mouth of real beer. The only thing I've had as good if not better is Caldera's "Mogli".

4.87/5  rDev +14.9%

12 oz bottle poured into my Delirium snifter, Founders Porter is black with a massive foamy brown head. Between the pressure released when I cracked it, along with the overly foamy head, I feared infection, but none was found. The foamy leaves heavy chunks, rocky really, a bit Belgianesque.

Smell is caramel, almost nougat like. Really delicious.

Taste is very rich, this is a big ass porter, which I dig. Loads of cocoa, a little milk chocolate really, with a touch of caramel as well. Outstanding, wow.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonation but not overly so, medium bodied.

Drinkability is great, this a fantastic porter. The only frustration is the large head slows down the drinking! This is the best porter I've ever had, period.

4.86/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Just excellent in every way especially the nose after the glass was empty. Just could not believe the wonderful balance of hops and roast grains. Excellent!!!

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

One of the best beers I have ever had. It is also one of the most richest in aroma and flavor. Dark Roasted coffee is present in the smell and taste. It does possess that nice earthy flavor that is present in most fine single malt Scotch whisky. There is minor hop presence.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

The best porter of my recollection. Extremely good.

Aroma is rich and inviting. I could smell it as soon as I opened the bottle, even with my nose more than a foot away from the bottle. Lots of toastyness.

Pours a deep dark brown, almost black with a beautiful dark tan head .

Flavor is intense. Rich toasted malt. Dark chocolate. Nice balance of bitter and rich notes. Not at all sweet but definitely rich. Maybe a tinge of fruit in there, maybe a tiny hint of cherries and raisins.

Exquisite mouthfeel. Supremely smooth but with just a tiny bit of carbonation. Lingering richness in the mouth. Not too sweet but not too bitter. Hops are in the background but are not dominant. Some spices too.

An extremely good beer. This one is worth seeking out.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

A-Pitch black with a small tan head that dissipates somewhat quickly. It is very thick. As a side note, after drinking a six pack it seems like you have to make the effort to pour this beer hard to get a decent head.

S-Smells of roasted and chocolate malts with a little alcohol creeping in as well.

T-Rich, chocolaty, with some coffee notes. A touch of hops as well. Simply delicious.

M-Silky smooth, delicate, and creamy.

D-To me it doesn't get any better than this. It is exceptionally drinkable due to its remarkable smoothness.

Overall I cannot praise this beer enough. When I think of porters I think of big robust masculine beers, but this beer seems different. It's rich, smooth, and creamy characteristics make it much more delicate than any other porter I've drank. If you are a fan of porters this is a must try. It truly is Dark, Rich, and Sexy.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This porter should be the standard by which others are measured absolutely delicious
L very dark rich color
S hints of chocolate and malt
T chocolate malt coffee toasted to delicious perfection
F very slight carbonation makes this an easy beer to savor leaves a pleasant aftertaste
O if this is your first porter then all others may fall short

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from a 12oz shortboy bottle into a pint glass. Pitch black with a stiff, rocky, creamy, tan head of about two fingers in size. Tons of lacing. Very pretty.

Aroma is superbly roasty and full of coffee goodness. Hints of vanilla and chocolate and a subtle fruitiness as well.

This one is damn good. Lots of coffee in the flavor. Plenty of other roasted cereals as well with a touch of choclate. Tastes just like Breakfast Stout with less alcohol.

I love this beer. Maybe closer to a stout than a porter, but damn is this beer delicious. Whatever category this is in, it is in a class of its own. Easily the best drining porter I have had. A bit pricey at over $11 for a six, so this cant be a standard offering in my house, but this was an really good beer.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Sampled on February 2016 from 16oz bottle in pint glass. Bottled on date of 10/2/2015 was on the bottle.

Appearance: Pitch black, dark color, with a thick dark tan head. The head lasted a long time, and left a nice lacing on the glass, but not a lot.

Smell: There are roasted malt aromas, along with some strong coffee and sweet caramel aromas. Some hops in the aroma. Nice combination and balance between the various flavors.

Taste: Full-bodied with great balance of malt and hops. There is a hint of sweetness and caramel flavors that may be due to the malts, but it is balanced nicely with pronounced hops flavor. Overall it has an excellent taste. The combination of strong hops and roasted malts and strong alcohol give this drink powerful flavors.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, but very smooth. Very creamy. Medium alcohol which matches with the 6.5% on the label.

Overall: Overall, this is an excellent beer and one of the best porters I have tasted. Another great beer from Founders. The more I drink it, the more I like it. I will definitely look for this and buy it again.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a pitch black with a small head that fades into an even and minimal lacing. The aroma has strong coffee notes with a hint of chocolate. The flavor is almost the opposite - predominant chocolate notes with a hint of espresso. It's amazing - and gives their Breakfast Stout a run for the money. Minimal carbonation and a very balanced beer (sweet for a porter) make this a very drinkable beer.

I'd probably buy this over the Breakfast stout since it was (I think) $12 for 6, vs. $14 for 4 breakfast stouts. I'd very highly recommend this beer.

*It's going to be difficult to save a couple bottles for my beer-buddies!

4.84/5  rDev +14.2%

This beer pours an opaque dark brown color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is roasted malt, milk chocolate, and smores. It is very aromatic, and quite complex. The taste is like the aroma. Nothing over the top, and nothing far out there. It simply has all the qualities a good porter should have. Lots of roasted malt, ample chocolate, and an overall smores like quality. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation, and a velvety texture. Overall, this is a great porter that is sure to become a mainstay in my refrigerator. It reminds me of a slightly more robust Bell's Porter in that it isn't over the top in any one area, but is balanced in everything a porter should be.

4.84/5  rDev +14.2%

12 oz. bottle dated 2/22/10 poured into a snifter

A- Black with a huge tan head.

S- Chocolate, roasted coffee, roasted malts, and a hint of caramel and hops.

T- Rich, complex, and balanced. A great blend of roasted coffee and chocolate with a great malt backbone, and had a nice bitter bit in the finish.

M- Thick, creamy, and silky smooth.

D- This is a great beer, one of the best I have had. With how big the taste is I would really only have one as a dessert, I could not drink more than one in a sitting. I got this in a Founders variety pack with Centennial IPA, Dirty Bastard, and Red's Rye PA, and this is the best out of the four.

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

L: Pours a deep black color with a medium sized and medium bodied brown colored head that laces the glass a bit on its way down.
S: Smells of deeply roasted malts, some caramelized malt, hints of chocolate, coffee, and a touch of earthy hops fill the nose.
T: Tastes of sweet and bitter deeply roasted malts, some caramelized malt, a nice chocolate and coffee flavor to this one with hints of brown sugar and a hint of hops at the end.
M: Very smooth, rich, warming, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable, this beer is an excellent version of the porter. All the flavors and then some that really go well with it were in there and not too much alcohol to make it pretty sessionable. It was excellent. Just like it says, Dark, Rich, and Sexy.

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

355ml bottle poured into a tulip glass

Look: Dark brown, almost black and opaque to go with it. Dark khaki/tan head with considerable retention

Smell: Dark malts, coffee and chocolate. Puts me in mind of a 'proper' chocolate stout although this obviously isn't marketed as such. Slightly 'burnt' roasted malt edge too. Oh yes.

Taste: Again, coffee, roasted malts and chocolate with the faintest hint of alcohol bite. Quite earthy, with a lot going on, but none of the flavours seems to overpower the others. That's good going, and it ticks all of the boxes for me.

Feel: Edging towards stout territory in terms of mouthfeel but none the worse for that. Coffee and chocolate up front, roasted malts in the middle and the cocoa flavours make a return in aftertaste with a lingering alcoholic burn to go with it. Really rather special.

Overall: This is my second Founders beer - the first, Rubaeus, was rather disappointing but they've hit a home run with this one. Nice mixture of flavours, heavenly smell and surprisingly easy drinking for something with quite a heavy mouthfeel. Stouts and porters are my 'preferred' styles, and I could easily find myself coming back to this one. Dark, Rich and Sexy? You betcha ...

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

Haven't reviewed a beer in quite some time despite trying many many beers over the past few years...but this porter, wow! Had to write a few comments.

To be honest, it totally caught me by suprise. I haven't kept up with rankings and have really only heard the occasional hype about x or y special release beers. So to take a flyer on one of the couple of Founders beers I hadn't yet tried...man, I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Appearance: Starts off with a great pour. I had mine from the bottle, but it poured a deep deep brownish black with tons of frothiness to it. The head was super pillowy and incredibly appealing

Smell: Equally alluring after the impressive pour. The smokiness really stands out to me here. Some of the same feedback I get when enjoying a good singlemalt...some smokey, almost peaty tones come through.

Taste: This is what its all about. The smokiness came alive with a burst of accompanying coffee, chocolate, caramel....all of which lingered. Fantastic.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, rich. Someone else mentioned that it was almost stout-like. I came away with the exact same impression. This isn't to say that it's untrue to the style. On the contrary, I think Founders has packed so much flavor into this particular porter...that the mouthfeel is just so much richer than what is typical.

This is one of the better beers (especially since Porters are not my favorite) I've had in a long time. It's actually got me excited about reviewing beers again...ha!

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Another brew Kevin hooked up in our trade, thanks man! Poured from unstamped bottle to mug the beer pours an oily viscous opaque black with a 1 finger mocha colored head with good retention and lacing throughout. The nose is an impressive blast of rich coffee, cocoa, roast. Terrific. If I didn't know better I'd say this is a stout. More character than any non-imperial porter I've sampled. Awesome. The flavor follows suit with again tons of coffee, roast, cocoa along with a mild bitterness, and hint of caramel and nut. Unbelievably smooth. Creamy. I can't believe how much flavor is packed into this brew, no hint of alcohol but with so much going on I'd think this was a much bigger beer to accommodate the character. Medium bodied. Well carbonated. To say this is a treat is an understatement. New standard for me.

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

"Dark, rich, and sexy." Indeed. Our eyes met from across the brewpub. She stood at the bar, all decked out in righteous finery. It was when she peered over her shoulder that her beauty took hold of me: those dark brown, nearly black eyes; those burnt ochre tresses, somehow simultaneously thick and light, that she nonchalantly brushed away from those aforementioned eyes; she certainly appeared nearly perfect. I had to speak to her. As I neared, her perfume caught my nose, sending me further over the edge before we've even met. It was dark, it was roasty, it reminded me of a chocolatier's workshop. Finally, I made it to the pinnacle: I old-fashionedly cleared my throat loudly, springing the trap. I thought she'd bite, but instead she ended up trapping me within those dark eyes, which in turn were reinforced by that rich, creamy skin. I was stunned. Luckily, she took the lead. As we spoke, grew closer, her very essence dove into my senses, recalling and complimenting her perfume. The sweetness, the roast; the chocolate, the molasses, the brown sugar (how come it tastes so good!?), the nutmeg, the coffee, the subtle vanilla. I don't know how I survived the encounter. In fact, she was so rounded, such a complete package, full of energy yet more than willing to slow down and savor the moment, that we talked, nay connected, far after the doors were closed. I had fallen hard. And we've been together ever since. Now, Dean-o, THAT's amore!

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance - Pours a midnight black hue, nice creamy mocha head

Smell - Nice hints of chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, smoke, peat, campfire

Taste - Big rich coffee and espresso flavors right up front, so gorgeous. I am getting vanilla, milk chocolate, toasted almonds, roasted barley, tobacco. It tastes so rich.

Mouthfeel - This thing is silky smooth, perfect.

Overall - Founders makes the best dark stouts ever, its no doubt i would love their porter just as much. This thing is the tastiest damn drinkable thing I've ever had and EASILY MY FAVORITE PORTER. wow founder, wow.

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company