Founders Porter | Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Porter

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

Ratings: 7,317 |  Reviews: 1,622

3.03/5  rDev -28.5%

Had this one poured from the bottle into a goblet.
Appearance: Black with a thin half-finger of head, nice lacing on the glass as it went down. Close inspection reveals lots of tiny bubbles fizzing bottom to top.
Smell: Malt, yeast, burnt coffee and chocolate. A bit of a tingle on the nose.
Taste: Very heavy, more like a stout to me. The burnt coffee & chocolate first, then malt and hops. The finish lingers reminding me of bitter medicine.
Mouthfeel: Like I said, this was heavier than I anticipated.
Overall: I was looking forward to cracking this one open. Disappointing. Porter isn't my favorite style, but I really enjoy Orginal Flag and crave the occasional Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter. This one, not so much. Out of respect to the brothers and my fellow BAs I'll give this one another shot but I'll have my porter lovin' buddy standing by for the handoff.

3.04/5  rDev -28.3%

Typical porter. Very good though

3.06/5  rDev -27.8%

3.08/5  rDev -27.4%

3.1/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

just a decent porter to try

3.1/5  rDev -26.9%

I originally sampled this beer on 12 January 2003. I am writing this review from my notes.
Aroma: This has some burnt/roasted notes on the nose;
Mouthfeel: It is dry & bitter on the palate.
Overall Impression: This is a nice middle of the road porter.

3.12/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Very dark brown with a thin beige head.

Smell: Malts and coffee.

Mouthfeel/ Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of bitter coffee and a hint of sweet Malts.

Overall: Wasn't really "wowed" by this one, it was ok. Not my first choice.

3.12/5  rDev -26.4%

This is my first American porter, so I may not be a fair judge to the style.

A: Beautiful and dark. I didn't get any head, but the lacing clumped together and stayed throughout the glass.

S: Rich and satisfying. Smelled toffee, chocolate, burnt malts and coffee.

T: I don't think I cared for the burnt malts, but this beer has plenty of big and bold flavors. It can be a little overwhelming. Even for 6.5% ABV the alcohol stayed in the background.

M: I like beers with lower carbonation and no hops, and this one fit the bill. Just went down extremely smooth. Would swirl the beer on my tongue without ill effect.

D: A fairly easy drinking beer, but the flavors are so bold that if you don't like them, you won't be able to take this beer.

3.15/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Too often in a fit of “oh shit the baby’s going to wake up, poop everywhere and need to be changed, fed and played with” I don’t let the beer mellow, to come down a few degrees. I started this review in haste before deciding to take my own advice. Glad I did.

STYLE: American Porter

ABV: 6.5%

LOOK: Unremarkable, the midpoint between oily and soda. An appalling lack of lacing. What head?

NOSE: We’re off to a rather good start. Over a foot away, I can smell the chocolate and red fruits as it pours. Better as it warms. Smoother too. We’ve gone from metallic to mid-range coffee.

MOUTH: It settles into coffee and lightly burnt malts. Not the extraordinary failure I thought it was at first. Medium body, dirty, barn doors, green pear. It has to be sessionable, but not because the ABV is relatively low. It simply lacks something robust, be it flavor or texture.

Beeradvocate Rating: 95

ratebeer Rating: 100

Hayward Abbey Rating: 82

3.17/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

3.17/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.2/5  rDev -24.5%

Appearance: dark brown, small head, medium carbonation

Smell: expresso, some chocolate, malt

Taste: expresso, light chocolate, malt

Mouthfeel: bitter heavy and thick

Drinkability: Not as impressed with this one as some of Founder's other offerings. The bitterness to this porter really struck me. I would have it again if I saw it, but would look for other porters first.

3.2/5  rDev -24.5%

The beer was well received however a few people thought it to be too hoppy for a porter, almost like a mix between an IPA and a porter. This can be great, but when someone expects a porter they do not expect a heave hop taste. It was great, but a little bitter for someone trying to order a porter.

3.21/5  rDev -24.3%

A good offering from Founders but not my favorite. It looked good in the glass. It was black, opaque, and had 2 fingers of coffee foam colored head riding on top. Maybe its because I like Breakfast Stout but I found this beer lacking in complexity. It seemed entirely made up of roasted coffee and lacked any chocolate and under tones I almost take for granted in dark beers. Its a good deal at $10 a six pack but in the future when I want a readily available dark beer from Founders, I am seeking out Breakfast Stout.

3.23/5  rDev -23.8%

Look: Nearly black, with an understated head. less than 1 finger.

Smell: Roasty coffee, smoke, dark-dried fruit.

Taste: Some mild fruit sweetness and alcohol that melds into a dark roasted bitter
coffee finish that lingers.

Feel: Smooth

Overall: Close, but alas no cigar. Kept trying to find a bit more sweetness buried within
the mix, but just could not sustain enough of it to adequately counterbalance all
the roasted coffee bitterness.

3.23/5  rDev -23.8%

Seems a bit one dimensional to me. Lots of bitterness, not unpleasant, just boring. Coffee and burt malt flavors overpower it and cover up everything else. Very slight chocolate flavor sneaks in, buit it's too little too late. Nice looking opaque black body with a thin, fast fading tan head. Medium mouthfeel.

3.23/5  rDev -23.8%

A - nice and dark but the head vanished quickly.

S - roasted bet a little bitter plus an odd under tone.

T - starts out really nice, but gets a bit too bitter in the after taste.

M - medium tingle all Oct the mouth.

D - the flavor makes you want to drink it, but the bitter finish makes you not want too many.

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company