Founders Porter | Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Porter

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

Ratings: 7,336 |  Reviews: 1,630
2.15/5  rDev -49.3%

Everything was ok except for the taste of this one. It's very heavy and dark but the taste was just too much-tasted burnt-more so than even the smokiest of rauchbiers. Surprised this beer scores so well. I thought it was just off-maybe I got a 6 pack that burnt on the bottom of the tank!

This is the only beer I've had from Founders and have heard lots of good things subsequent to this tasting so I guess it is surprising how much I didn't like it. Will give them another try but will pass on their porter-this one just didn't do it for me.

2.16/5  rDev -49.1%

2.22/5  rDev -47.6%

2.25/5  rDev -46.9%

2.28/5  rDev -46.2%

2.5/5  rDev -41%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.52/5  rDev -40.6%

2.6/5  rDev -38.7%

2.68/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz twistoff into my Harpoon Liviathan Baltic Porter glass.

Appearance: Dark black, can not see through it. There was NO head and no laceing.

Smell: Roaster malt, chocolate and coffee.

Taste: Was just OK, malts, strong coffee and a little chocolate came through. Almost a creamy finish.

Mouthfeel: I get a lot of coffee and not much else with no carbonation.

Drinkability: I do not have the desire to finish this one. It is just OK and I would not buy another.

2.75/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Smokey flavor, not robust flavor like other porters I really like

2.77/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Sour aftertaste. Not much flavor.

2.83/5  rDev -33.3%

2.85/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Not bad for my first porter

2.88/5  rDev -32.1%

2.92/5  rDev -31.1%

I've been a sort of beer geek for two decades now but I've never really explored the full range of dark ales made today. I've had many a beer from every continent but I want now to explore American dark ales. I've decided to start with this one. Porter was an early love of mine before I was seduced by belgian tripels and german doppelbocks. Everything comes around but it's never the same twice I guess.

G - Scaldis (Bush) Noel tulip glass.

A - Pours medium bodied black with a nice fluffy tan head. Very promising. Significant amount of carbonation adhering to bottom of glass.

S - A hint of coffee, chocolate, and an off-smelling pair of phenol and medicinal odors at first whiff that disappears. A turnoff. As the beer opens a little alcohol owns much of the nose.

T - Sharp and surprisingly hot for 6.5% ABV. Prickly hops overwhelm the start of a decent set of malt flavors. Nice smooth rich malty finish. It has a long finish that lingers that isn't average but rather has two components that together average out that way.

M - Soapy on the end of the tongue, dry in the back of the palate. Not very integrated or smooth. Too carbonated.

O - The bitter and the sweet seem not to go together in this beer. Like west coast American wines this beer is very west coast American in its pursuit of sensory overload even if it's not west coast. There are delicate flavors in there but a lower and different hop recipe would serve it well. Just not for me.

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company