Founders Porter | Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Porter

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

Ratings: 7,358 |  Reviews: 1,639
4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Founders does not disappoint!..Ever...got it!? I do!

During our recent Porter tasting, I was beginning to think that this style just was not for me. To date my favorite porter is from Smuttynose, and boy is their Baltic porter a brew eh? But aside from a few decent examples, I've been struggling to find anything to write about.

Now, my pen is out with a porter to add to the A list. Dark Black, no light getting through, darker and thicker than the others. The Head is strong as is the lacing, and the lacing lasts, which I love.

We have roasted malt, mild smoke and nuts mixed with cream. This is bursting with flavor and balance! It is quite seriously silky smooth.

Mouthfeel is also a winner and swirling emphasizes the silk and chewiness. I would love to try this on tap, preferably a pitcher with friends!

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%

4.75/5  rDev +12%

4.44/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.94/5  rDev -7.1%

3.65/5  rDev -13.9%

4.75/5  rDev +12%

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Pitch black, nearly opaque. Generally good color but almost no head or lace. Bittersweet aroma, like dark chocolate and coffee. Tastes the same, pretty intense roasty bitterness for a porter. Also, heavier than usual, almost motor-oil thick. In some ways it seemed closer to a stout. Overall it was very good, not great, but definitely worth a try.

4.44/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep, black color, with brownish-tan head, not as creamy as I'd like it, but a fine looking beer. Smell is nice toasted malt, some chocolate and a tad of booziness that I could do without, but I'm being pretty picky here. The taste is fantastic; lots of malt, lots of chocolate, a bit of hops... I'd say the most notable aspect is the perfect amount of chocolate. Mouthfeel is great, glad it's not more carbonated and has some body to it.
Overall, it's just what you want in a porter. Minor details could be improved on, but it's one of the best!

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Here's a beer that really inspires. Courageous enough to push limits and satisfy boundaries.

Appearance: poured into one of those ugly American beer glasses. Last fall I enjoyed this beer in a pint glass... no beer should be disgraced by serving it in a wide-brimmed American pint glass. British pint glasses facilitate better head on top and lacing!

Dark, but not fully opaque. Clearly thinner than your standard stout.

Nose: sharp roasted quality. Something just came off the oven burnt... but its not foul. Sweet malt follows after.

Taste: sweet malt, finishing with an astringent burnt taste. Yes, sir! We have a Porter! Wish it were a bit dryer.

Mouthfeel: its a porter, not a stout, but I wish it were fuller bodied. Is feel like those flavors were more compacted and o could chew on them longer. It finishes kinda sweet... can't decide if I like that or not.... any dryer and it might finish tasting too much like a cigarette butt.
It's wet, but also a punch of big flavor... weird.

Not the greatest beer I've ever had, bit one that I wish were a local staple. It packs a punch, but drinks like something quite a bit smaller. If you like roasty flavors, you'll love this dark little girl!

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%