Founders Porter | Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Porter

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

Ratings: 7,355 |  Reviews: 1,637

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Very thick and smooth, dark dark brown. Pretty healthy brown/tan head, thick and dissipates very slowly.

Smell: Chocolate and coffee dominate.

Taste: Smoky and chocolate, hint of sweetness. Definitely pick up some coffee bitterness as well, don't really notice any bitterness until the aftertaste. Very rich taste, lot of flavors that balance really well.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy.

Overall: I was very impressed with this beer, realize I didn't have much to write in the sections above but everything I noted was done very well. This is a really rich beer with a lot of porter-appropriate flavors that I noticed in phases during each drink. I would definitely go out of my way to order this if I saw someplace that had it on draft.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Ok I had 3 of these yesterday at the Founder's in Florida deal.
I spaced them out well at least the 1 and 2nd one were spaced out by 4 other beers.

A: sadly i had my god ole thermometer with me, and the tap temp was near 34F. So no head and all that jazz. I will review if the bottles/can are sold here next week or so. No head, dark as night.

S: rich dark chocolate and roasted coffee hit me. This took a long time because it was served so cold. Still it was very nice. Lots of malt notes, no hop detected.

T: nice rich slightly bourbon like coffee and chocolate taste. Rich notes of roasted malt. No hops in your face, which means of course it totally balanced beer as it should be. Oh you get that they are there, anyway. Slightly smokey as it really warms into the 50-55f range.

M: creamy, rich, nice aftertaste. full body

O: really good porter. I had to have more and did.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

4.75/5  rDev +12%

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured Founders Porter into a Belgian Tulip.

A - Pours black as midnight with a finger of mocha head with a aggressive pour.

S - Roasted malts, with smooth coffee. Light chocolate notes in there as well.

T - Bitter coffee and roasted malts. Some baker's chocolate mid palate with bitter coffee on the after taste.

M - Smooth for a porter, medium carbonation, with medium on the mouthfeel. This is smoother than most stouts.

O - A outstanding porter, it could be most brewery's stout, its just that good. Highly recommended. Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Yes, I am a bit biased toward a thick heady porter, but I digress from my point. This porter has it all...a bit sweet, a bit rich, a bit chocolatey, a bit coffee laden and a lot delicious. It pours smoothly from the tap and settles a little like a Guinness in your pint glass. On the inhale, the sweet and rich aroma gets your palate prepared for a nice sip of an almost a coffee ice cream milk shake-like goodness. This would go nicely with a hefty gourmet burger or even an acid cigar (perhaps the Kub Kuba for good measure?). Highly recommended.

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company