Founders Porter | Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Porter

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

Ratings: 7,371 |  Reviews: 1,642
4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Based on notes from previous consumption of 3x 12oz bottles over a span of 2 weeks in February 2013. All were poured chilled into a Bell's snifter.

Aroma: Smoky malt, mocha, dark chocolate malt and some sort of underlying sweetness that I can't put my finger on. It could be caramel, molasses or black licorice, but really smells like none of the above- perhaps its a combination of them all. The nose itself is somewhat pungent and is predominantly the smoky chocolate malt flavours. (4)

Colour: Pours a very dark cola brown, with a 2cm beige head that sticks around for a while. I usually hate waiting for a head to recede but it is a thing of beauty. When it dissipates, it does so into a thick beige collar and a thin brown film on the surface of the beer. The lacing is solid but nothing to write home about. (4)

Flavour: Definitely get a smokiness up front that colours the roast chocolate maltiness that follows. It finishes with a good bit of sweet spiciness- the same flavour I couldn't put a finger on in the aroma- I'm starting to think it was probably the hops and will have to consider this some more. Very pleasant smoky porter with a strong malt backbone makes for a good drinking experience. (4.25)

Mouthfeel: One of the thicker porters I've had the opportunity to try. A bit creamy and a bit dry but still thirst-quenching and drinkable. The body is thicker medium with decent carbonation. Aftertaste is roast chocolate maltiness tempered by the hops, again the flavours of which I can't put my finger on, but is quite pleasant. (4.25)

Overall: There are a lot of smells that suggests its complex, but they seem to blend together such that my overworked palate can't pick them out individually. Its a robust, full-flavoured porter that doesn't disappoint in any one department, but it doesn't amaze me in any one department either. Definitely a well-above average porter, but I prefer Black Butte and Eddy Fitz to this as a shelf porter. Definitely worth trying and a potential fridge staple should you prefer this to some of the other shelf porters out there. (4.25)

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

4.14/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: I poured this from a bottle into a proper Porter tulip glass. It pours black, with a beautiful tan head. There's decent lacing.

Smell: The nose boasts caramel, sweet bread, and cereal, roasted coffee and malts. It’s a very pleasant aroma that, unfortunately, fades soon after the pour.

Taste: I taste roasted coffee, bitter chocolate, and a little smoke. This porter finshes nicely with grassy espresso hops and the faint memory of bakers cocoa (and maybe a little raisin?).

Mouthfeel: I don’t get the Brewer’s claim of a "silky" mouth feel. This beer is somewhat watery (medium to light tongue weight), with moderate carbonation affecting the back of my tongue.

Overall: This is a very nice porter with very drinkable appeal. I just wish the bouquet held out a litttle longer. Other than that, it's very tasty with rich flavor. I'd love to find this stuff on tap somewhere to REALLY get the full experience! This certainly is a "dark, rich, & sexy" porter that I wouldn't kick out of bed! Founders does it again.

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company