Porter | Founders Brewing Company

PorterPorter

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Porter

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

#803

Ratings: 7,570 |  Reviews: 1,692

4.31/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%

3.97/5  rDev -6.6%

From the bottle to a pint glass. Pours black with a very small tan head that quickly disappears. Leaves little to no lacing. The smell is mainly of roasted malts, hints of chocolate and coffee as well. Taste is roasted malts and coffee, pretty much what I was expecting from the style. Pretty low ABV at 6.5% making this one very drinkable. Like most porters I could do these almost all night. Drinkable and pretty good tasting. I don't know where this one ranks amongst the porters I've had but I'd say it's up there. Probably not the best but definitetly not bad at all. I'd pick it up again no problem.

3.83/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.4/5  rDev -20%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This tastes exactly like coffee to me. That isn't a bad thing, I am just not picking up anything else. Add cream & sugar & I'd be having this with my breakfast tomorrow morning. Maybe leave out the cream and make an ice out of that.

Overall, a good porter & a really good beer - but there are better for the money IMHO.

3.94/5  rDev -7.3%

12 oz. bottle, purchased from a reputable distributer 7/2011, well stored.

Poured into a Dogfish Head Snifter.

Poured rather aggressively into the glass produces very little head which rapidly reduces to a thin film.

The smell starts off with a blast of distinct French Roast black coffee, followed by heavily roasted malt, some hints of dark caramel, rather powerful, lasts from the first opening to the end.

The taste is dominated by distinct, aggressive, black roasted malt, and black coffee, some elusive hop flavors, crisp acidity adds balance, wonderful carbonation that is not overdone and compliments this brew. Seems to be at its best at about 55 degrees.

Very long finish of coffee and deep roasted malt, coats the mouth.

I have to say that Porter’s are not one of my favorite styles of beer. That being said, I will say that while there is nothing overly complex here, it is a very distinctly flavored brew and you have to admire what Founders is doing.
Founders never seems to fail in producing “black beers”, and this is no exception. It is unquestionably the best Porter I have ever tasted. A pleasant experience and one that I appreciate the opportunity to have had.

4.08/5  rDev -4%

Pours into a Duvel tulip super dark with a caramel/crema looking head. The head dissipates quickly but leaves a film over the top. A short swirl brings out more head and emphasizes the thick and sticky lacing. A really good looking porter.

The predominant aromas are dark roasted malt, smoke and coffee. The taste is bittersweet chocolate, espresso with some smoke if you really concentrate. Not too sweet at all due to a bitter finish. As the ale warms the sweetness recedes and the espresso bitterness comes forward making this a really enjoyable experience.

The mouth feel is slightly thicker than medium, but not by much. Thank goodness there's no wateriness (my kiss of death for a porter) like Bell's Porter or even to some extent Sierra Nevada Porter.

Not as drinkable as some other porters, but the qualities that make it less drinkable make it a better porter, if that makes sense. It's thicker and more filling. Also, more than one can seem decedent and glutinous.

I'll be honest, this was not a porter that I've always liked that much. I knew it was a good one, but I struggled to really appreciate some of its qualities. I didn't give up (I love most Founder's beers), and now I'm now far more likely to order it out and pick up a sixer. I struggled to rate the taste 4.0 or 4.5, but eventually went with the higher rating.

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%