Founders Porter | Founders Brewing Company

Founders PorterFounders Porter

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Porter

No absence of hops gives Founders' robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2003

#743

Ratings: 7,414 |  Reviews: 1,652

3.25/5  rDev -23.5%

4.16/5  rDev -2.1%

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

"Dark, rich, and sexy." Indeed. Our eyes met from across the brewpub. She stood at the bar, all decked out in righteous finery. It was when she peered over her shoulder that her beauty took hold of me: those dark brown, nearly black eyes; those burnt ochre tresses, somehow simultaneously thick and light, that she nonchalantly brushed away from those aforementioned eyes; she certainly appeared nearly perfect. I had to speak to her. As I neared, her perfume caught my nose, sending me further over the edge before we've even met. It was dark, it was roasty, it reminded me of a chocolatier's workshop. Finally, I made it to the pinnacle: I old-fashionedly cleared my throat loudly, springing the trap. I thought she'd bite, but instead she ended up trapping me within those dark eyes, which in turn were reinforced by that rich, creamy skin. I was stunned. Luckily, she took the lead. As we spoke, grew closer, her very essence dove into my senses, recalling and complimenting her perfume. The sweetness, the roast; the chocolate, the molasses, the brown sugar (how come it tastes so good!?), the nutmeg, the coffee, the subtle vanilla. I don't know how I survived the encounter. In fact, she was so rounded, such a complete package, full of energy yet more than willing to slow down and savor the moment, that we talked, nay connected, far after the doors were closed. I had fallen hard. And we've been together ever since. Now, Dean-o, THAT's amore!

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer is jet black, with a thick, beige head. A thick sheet of lacing coats the pint glass. No room for improvement here.

The aroma...ahh. Roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee. What a welcoming scent.

The beer tastes fantastic as well. Teeming with flavor, this is one of the finest porters I have ever had. Chocolate and roast in beautiful harmony.

The feel is medium to full bodied, and silky smooth.

I highly recommend this beer. When it comes to stouts and porters, Founders Brewing Co. is simply world class.

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a really dark brown almost black color with a creamy mocha head that sticks around for a while. Smells of chocolate, roast, a touch of alcohol. Smells almost like a stout. Taste is creamy roasty chocolate. Has a touch of hops and alcohol burn in the finish but leaves you salivating for more of its roasty goodness. Very Creamy mouthfeel, crisp carbonation, thick body. Great brew! Could be a stout could be a porter, frankly I don't care I've just got to get me some more. One of the best porters ever.

4.27/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.12/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours black in color with a finger of darkly tanned head. Decent retension and a nice layer of lace all around the glass. Nose is burnt grains with chocolate and coffee notes. End of the aroma has a bit of citrus hops. Taste is drying bitter chocolate upfront with a nice burnt grain profile throughout the really smooth feel/body. Light feel and low moderate carbination with this porter. Lingering taste of burnt grain and bitter chocolate is left in the mouth that forces you to dive right back in for another sip. Little bit of citrus hop bitterness is hidden behind the bitterness of the burnt grain. The warmth of the alcohol starts to hit you about half way through the glass. Somewhat of a dry finish to this but overall a really good porter.

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

I'm so glad Founders decided to bottle this brew again, another kick ass porter out of the Great Lakes region. Definitely pours pitch black no traces of ruby highlights around the edges, I'm guessing alot of black patent malt. Large creamy textured dark mocha tan head rises well above the rim of my imperial pint glass. Impressive layered lacing sticks to the glass with each sip.

Aromatics are blended nicely, big acidic coffee notes burst through with a mild cocoa presence, and evident hops backing up the party. Dark burn roasted malt notes have creamy edges as well, what a big succulent porter. Hop nose comes off like an herbal mint experience, very refreshing.

Tastes like strong coffee with heavy cream sweetness, dark acidic nearly burnt flavors collide coming off almost metallic. Dispersed hop burps bring back the herbal mint fresh finish, low alcohol burn noticed on the palate. Black licorice notes really nice expressive porter.

Mouthfeel is big and chewy but doesn't weigh me down, carbonations is slow bubbled with a great bitter dry finish on the palate. Very comparable to a lighter version of the breakfast stout, I'm pleased.

Drinkability is great no trouble throwing a few of these down in one session, it's up there with the best porters I've come across go out and seek it. I paid 10.99 for a six of this way worth it.

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

A - almost pitch black with a quarter of an inch of brown, soft, short-lived head

S - huge coffee aroma, some roasted malt

T - roasted malt, big coffee, some chocolate, faint hops, mildly bitter finish

M - medium to full bodied, smooth, well carbonated

This is a delicious beer. It's full flavored and almost full bodied. It's got its complexities and its subtleties. All around delicious. I'll definitely pick this up again.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

4.25/5  rDev 0%

4.24/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tasted in a pint glass from draft at Kuma's on May 18, 2017.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured into a pint glass from the bottle.

A very dark walnut colored body with a large four finger head. Dark cocoa colored at first of head bubbles but seems to settle down and get lighter in color as time goes on. Some lacing. She looks good.

Great cream smell, roast, fresh brewed coffee, and some sweet malt. This smells just great a mish mash of many things which all get a turn. I can't get over how creamy this smells with a grain husk like sense.

Taste is a great chocolate at first, with good malt chew. Aftertaste has some hop finish with honey. Lots of flavors that come out throughout the tasting. THe honey on finish is surprising where did that come from. Not too wet either, just right, hardly noticeable alcohol content.

This is a great American Porter what can I say, really like it alot.

Founders Porter from Founders Brewing Company