Founders Dirty Bastard | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Dirty BastardFounders Dirty Bastard

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Brewed with 7 varieties of malt (varies over the years).

Added by Mitchster on 01-03-2003

Ratings: 7,490 |  Reviews: 1,913

I don't like it; too strong, bitter after taste.

1.16/5  rDev -71.2%

1.2/5  rDev -70.2%

1.25/5  rDev -69%

1.25/5  rDev -69%

1.44/5  rDev -64.3%

1.75/5  rDev -56.6%

Smells ok and for the first couple of seconds after sipping it actually tastes pretty darn good - smooth and creamy - chocolaty! But immediately after that, it left a real nasty-paint-thinner-like-vinegary after taste. Couldn't finish bottle - I was VERY disappointed and decided to stick with mojitos the rest of the evening (Christmas Eve). Just for kicks, I decided to give it another shot today - no change - starts out super delicious to the palate, but finishes with a super vinegary bitter bite which literally makes you shake your head and wonder "WTF? What happened here you dirty bastard?" To each his/her own.

Why does this remind me of an old ale? Stale malts with caramel sweetness and only a mild bittering hop presence.

This is not impressing me right now.

Medium full body is lacking carbonation and feels slightly gritty.

Overall, what the hell is going on here? I love backwoods bastard, and this is terrible. This is like a strange old ale or aged barleywine. There is a boozy bite on the finish that is off-putting as well. Me no likey.

The beer looks murky rust colored reddish brown. Quite brackish and cloudy. Almost no head. Looks dull and lifeless.

2.02/5  rDev -49.9%

Pours cloudy reddish brown. Produces little head, even with a rough pour. Minimal fine lacing. Not much to look at.

Smells like chocolate toffee meeting asphalt in that ozone spot right when it starts raining. Some fruits, all dark and all somewhat prune-juice like, poke through. Average is a stretch.

Has that flavor that I can't quite put my finger on, but I really can't stand. For such a highly rated beer, I can't by any means figure out why. Honestly it's one step away from a drainpour. Heavy super dark fruits and warm prune juice would be a complementary way to describe the flavor.

Feel wise it's typically Scottish ale like, thick and rich, low carbonation, not bad at all.

Drinks horrible. Will not seek out, recommend, or buy.

It's not just the style as I rated Bellhaven wee heavy quite highly. Something about this beer stands out as "I hate it." I'm sure it's not a bad bottle, but hey, I'm rating both to style and to my tastes, and this just plain tastes terrible. Sorry founders, I like some of your stuff but not this one.

2.04/5  rDev -49.4%

Having read a few previous reviews, I think that people might be misrepresenting the taste of this beer. Simply put, the flavor was completely off-putting. Had almost no beer flavor, just a very alcohol-flavored kick.

2.11/5  rDev -47.6%

2.2/5  rDev -45.4%

I picked this up at the jungle in Fairfield, OH. This is a super malty brew. It seemed to me the alcohol was far more prominent. This was way to strong in my opinion and I will not be purchasing this angain. The Founder's Red Rye is a far superior offering and much more balanced and enjoyable.

Founders Dirty Bastard from Founders Brewing Company