Founders Dirty Bastard | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Dirty BastardFounders Dirty Bastard

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Brewed with 7 varieties of malt (varies over the years).

Added by Mitchster on 01-03-2003

Reviews: 1,894 | Ratings: 7,414
4.09/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured into a MacAndrew's thistle glass. Pours a dark, slightly hazy red orange with a thin light khaki head that dissipates to patches and light lacing. Aroma of caramel malt, plum and black cherry, light smoked peat. Flavor is somewhat dry caramel malt, plum, dates, light grassy hops and peat. Nice peaty, lightly hopped finish. Medium bodied with light creaminess. A classic Scotch ale profile to start, but ends with a little hop bitterness that is measured enough that it integrates into the earthy, smoky peat flavors. Nice malt that is not quite as sweet as many domestic examples of this style. Authentic and full flavored.

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled - Drank in a Weiss glass
Drank: 03.14.17
L: The coffee brown head was small and had incredibly poor retention. The body was cinnamon brown with hints of ruby throughout. Light carbonation present with mild clarity.
S: Rich malt with a slight earthiness.
T: Rich, full bodied, slight creaminess, faint hoppiness, and a earthy/smoky aftertaste.
F: The entire mouthfeel was smooth and creamy.
This beer kicks your ass without the pain. Its subtleness keeps you coming back for more.

4.67/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Look: one of the darkest beers I've had. This is my first likes scotch ale. I typically go for heife's. Great head, can't see through the glass.

Taste: strong barrel scotch taste with strong hop taste as well. Excellent taste I must add with a hell of a kick. First scotch ale and now one of my favorite beers for sure.

Feel: kinda thick tbh but still very carbonated. Best taste and feel when very cold.

Overall it is a must try for any beer lover. If you haven't had it you are missing out. WARNING: it will put you out don't drink a six pack alone like I did lol.

3.74/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Deep, reddish color with floating particles. Thin head with some streak lacing. The aroma is peat, molasses, caramel malt, and some herbal notes as well. The flavor is anice, peat, burned sugar, hazel nuts, and some herbal hops bitterness. Smokey qualities also. A complex beer with good flavor and balance.

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

Alright gents, it's the Kernell again giving you yet another breakdown of another fantastic brew. Let me start off by saying I'm no fancy smancy beer tasting extraordinaire with a pedigree to boot, I'm just a small town fried chicken tycoon, but I know a good beer when I see one.

I find myself struggling to start this review because I enjoy this beer so much I am thinking about calling off work and going to get some instead of finishing this. Upon opening the bottle it has a slight bitter smokey oak smell to it, pour it in a glass and let it breathe though, and my friend you have a delicious smelling brew indeed. It boasts a nice head and is just how I like my women, thick and brown. Its tastes a tad bitter at first but its complex taste of smokey oak/wood, peat and sweet malt push thru and shine in the end. This beer isn't for boys, its for men god d#$n it. Sure its a tad bitter, but only for a moment then you're rewarded for your dedication and patience with a taste that rivals my famous chicken bowls.

If you're new to Scottish Ales, looking for a beer with big flavor or are a fan of some Bourbon Barrel Ales I would highly recommend it. Every time I seen that crusty grinning Irishman on the bottle it takes me back to that first time I tried it, its the same night I came up with the formula for my extra crispy chicken and we all know how that went.

Buy a sixer and open a bottle of success you dirty bastards, KERNELL OUT!

3.77/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pretty strange brew, has big roasted malts but also has a weird Belgian yeast type smell/flavor..

Starts off sweet then a little peaty/Smokey bitterness hits you .

Drinkable but a little too much peat for me ..

4.27/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle 12 ounce, poured to pint glass
Appearance: dark brown, reddish when held against the light, light brown foam that disappears slowly, appears to be clear
Aroma: scent smell of malt, boozy on the drink, very good
Taste: very good to excellent, medium bitterness
Mouth feel: creamy, good carbonation, long follow through, no sudden drops, a bit sticky, long sweet bitter aftertaste
Overall: excellent scotch ale, very good beer repeat: yes look for: yes
drank: February 26, 2017 5:30 PM

4.03/5  rDev 0%

Pour is foggy brown and smells something sweet and butterscotch. It has an oddly flatish carbonation that is obsessive. Taste is a bit of those malts I was smelling earlier with a mild sherry wine finish. Slightly saltly. All in all it's a decent beer, was fun to try.

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow dirty bastard canned exceeded all expectations. The shelf life on those bottles gets shitty in Beaumont,Texas. So I feel like I'm trying a totally new beer.

Bready, caramel malts dazzle the taste buds and leave you refreshed but needing more. I guess that would be semi dry. Lacing is all over the place and maintains a head for longer than many a beer.

Damn fine smelling beer and almost coffee like porter taste and smell to it. Damn this gem just arrived at HEB and I LOVE IT. FAVORITE of its kind I'd say, I csn see why it'd bee Flounder's flagship ale. I bet is is godly on tap. One day!

Tell next time Founder's, really impressed. Thank you for an affordable, true craft beer of the style. Aw far as I jnowand Texas can't nearly meet this expectation I hsve now but we'll see. Cheers!

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Very similar to Backwoods Bastard, but less potent, less expensive, and more widely available. I can safely say I'm a big fan of both. Great, rustic feel

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Of a beer style that I rarely tested but repetiƩ whenever possible. The only thing I miss is the density of water. I like beer with water denser and heavier

4.85/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First founders. Pours deep mahagoney into a snifter with creamy head nice malty smells. Taste is fabulous with flavor to a peaty whiskey aged in sherry barrels . I tend to struggles with scotch ales from Scotland being overly sweet and malty but this is balanced with 50 IBUs of hops brings and is a really great "wee heavy" American beer.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is one of Foundes beers that is not top of the line. Dark appearance with an aroma and taste that are good but not excellent. No alcohol taste. Well balanced.

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Love this ! Just wonder how long I have to exercise to get this beer off my thighs. Reddish brown, Flavor bursts in your mouth. Happy to sit on the couch and drink this

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle purchased at Total Wine in Spokane Valley for $1.99. According to the rear label, it was bottled on December 6, 2016. This is my first Founders beer that I've purchased for myself, now that they are sold in Washington. I've had Backwoods Bastard, thanks to Ri0, but never the standard version before.

Poured into an Iron Goat snifter, this was seemingly black in color until held up to light, which allowed a mahogany color to shine through around the edges. There was a tight, tan head that receded to a bubbly skiff after a few minutes. Beer neglige-style lace.

Sweet, candyish malt aroma, with a little bit of something suggestive of peatiness. Some plumminess as well. I also got licorice and toffee scents.

Smooth and sweet flavors at the first sip. The fruity and candyish notes from the aroma are present, but things are more complex. There's a smoky bitterness that melds with the sweeter aspects quite well. Deep in the background a mildly boozy alcohol flavor imparts a little "oomph" to the proceedings as it warms. Slightly mineral tang on the fadeout.

Fairly full bodied, which fits with the flavor. I haven't looked to see if this is a winter seasonal or not, but if so, it would make sense. Rich, creamy, coating mouthfeel.

This is a great American Wee Heavy. This is right up there with my favorite regional attempt at the style -Silver City's Fat- but I think this wins out by being a little more subtle, plus I love that it comes in 12oz bottles rather than bombers like most beers like this.

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Wow what a beer.

Look- deep mahogany flavor, big tan head with great retention

Smell- malty with a hint of hop

Taste- This really blew me away. Tons of sweet malty goodness upfront with whisky and caramel flavor. There are also hints of dark fruits like cherries. Those flavors by themselves are enough for this beer to be fantastic, but to top it all off there is a wave of hops that comes as the taste lingers on the tounge. Truly remarkable.

Feel- Smooth and full bodied, very nice.

What a brew. It costs basically $7.00 a bottle here in Seoul, so I won't be able to buy it often which is a real shame. Then again, maybe this beer deserves its own line in the budget so I can drink it whenever I want.

4.14/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Very nice. Didn't get the "dark ruby" mentioned on the label but the color was a dark stained mahogany with Huge Tan head bubbLing over. Smell was nice but didn't really advertise the taste to come. Tons of malty goodness... sweet, roast, caramel, bread. Really didn't get much hops which worked. Warming alcohol on the tale.

3.79/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

First time drinking a Scottish Ale and wasn't quite sure what to expect. It poured very dark with a tan head, looks very much like a stout. Personally I have trouble pickup any significant aromas with this beer, sorta reminds me of Moose Drool, a brown ale, but its been a while since I've drank that. At first the taste was fairly bitter imo, but it starts to disappear and more flavor comes out as it warms up. I also got just a small hint of chocolate taste at the end, really wondering if I'm actually drinking a stout. Overall its ok, not my favorite, but definitely improved as I drank more of it.

3.47/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Mahogany? That is the color right? When you have a mixture of brown and dark red? That is what this is, replete with 1/2" off white head, great retention. Aroma of earthen malt, peat.

Taste, malty baby. This is like that thick girl without much flair. A lot of booziness, toffee, unsweetened, slight roast. Even a slight hop bitterness kick to it. 50 ibu scotch ale? Damn. Hoppier than to style for sure, but not a problem for me. Probably more booziness/abv too. So what. Mild smoke in the mouthfeel. Man, if they could only add lowland fog from the isles to this.

When they put this in barrels to become backwoods bastard, that is when it really shines.

4.19/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Founders flagship beer if I remember correctly? It's obvious why. Great all around beer. and man, I could go for an 4 pak Backwoods Bastard right about now. Classic, a beer I've drank occasionally for many years now ... Beautiful, mahogany, ruby dark furniture look. Huge malted aromas and tastes. caramel, dark fruits, English toffee, smoke, peat. What I imagine Scotland to be like, dank, rainy, dark, mysterious. Bottom line, overall tremendous regular beer.

4.73/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Single-serve

Pours a nearly-opaque ruby-brown with a excellent foamy head and retention, eventually fading to very persistent sticky lacing throughout the drink. This is a fine-looking beer.

Sweet aromas of toffee and ester, smoke, and bitter hops all unite in a fine balanced presentation,

Dark malts and dark fruits are very forward on the tongue, with whiskey and smoke close behind. And then, at the finish--a blessing of hops. This wee-heavy is hoppier than the standard of the style (and I'm not a hop-head by any stretch) but I refuse to mark it down for that. The hops take this brew to the next level. The hops and the crisp carbonation make for a remarkably dry finish for such a malty beer.

The mouthfeel is similarly inspiring given the malty sweetness. The carbonation and hops again prevent this from becoming a sticky mess. If there is any complaint, it is a "wee bit thin" for a "wee heavy."

Overall, this wee heavy may not hew perfectly to the brew standard for this style, but beers aren't dogs, so I don't care if this example of the "breed" is a little scruffy. The hops here are present and perfect and make for one of the best, if not the best, Scotch Ale I've ever had.

4.29/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Deep ruby red body, mostly clear, with an off-white head about a finger or so thick that dissipates slowly. Smells of molasses, malts, and peat. Tastes smokey, a little caramel flavor, peat, and a touch of alcohol. Well balanced and smooth. Flavors pleasantly flow and meld together. Slight aftertaste but not overwhelming or unpleasant.

A: Dark brown with a red cherry tinge, unfiltered, hard to see any carbonation, a foam of tan rather than a head.

S: Whiskey, caramel and stinky foot. Scotch whiskey in particular, and oak. Butterscotch ice cream. Banana split.

T: Bourbon barrel scotch aged whiskey underpins a Belgian style dark ale. Getting flavours from both. Dark fruity fragrance, but definite wee heavy. Got the dark malt quality, the scotch, and stout like darkness, but carries the essence of scotch.

M: Heavy, bready body, highly carbonated.

O: 8.7 out of 10. Delicious malty wee heavy with a bad name. Definite punch to this one, dark and delicious with weight in alcohol. Would go well with camembert cheese, or goat or other white creamy cheese. I had this in Kalamazoo several years ago, but am revisiting it again in Chiang Mai, Jan 15th, 2017.

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Dark reddish brown color, think tan foamy head. Sweet malty start and peaty hoppy finish. I enjoyed the transition of flavors. Smooth with nice mouth feel. Like it.

4.19/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark brown, almost black color with a decent sized, beige head.

Smells of molasses, caramel malts, burned toffee and earth - rustic and inviting.

Has a very low carbonation, silk on the tongue, very sweet till mid palate until the finish, in which a pungent dryness mingles together with the initial maltiness.

Toffee malts with a rustic earth wrapping creates the taste foundation in this. Gets a very pleasant roasty touch during mid palate, enriching the malts, with a slowly evolving herbal note. After the swallow hops get way more noteable, producing an almost tongue numbing dryness of dried grass, replacing the sweetness by even more earthen toast in the finish.

Pretty darn wild on the tongue, sweet, roasty, then dry- convincing in every of its aspects with a great balance.

Founders Dirty Bastard from Founders Brewing Company