Founders Dirty Bastard | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Dirty BastardFounders Dirty Bastard

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Brewed with 7 varieties of malt (varies over the years).

Added by Mitchster on 01-03-2003

Reviews: 1,903 | Ratings: 7,437
4.46/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Looks like root beer but 1 octave lighter with tan head that is not very big.

Smells like buttery candy, maybe licorice in there.

Tastes real good. It's got the buttery candy and licorice and lots of other things that come togheather with no mention of the high alcohol.

It feels like a liquid with a little carbonation

It's real good.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a red amber color with a tan head. Smell is malty carmel. Taste is the same. Bousy aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light for a heavy beer. Overall great beer.

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark red amber with a light khaki head. Some light lacing present while drinking. Smell is fruity, cherries, earthy pest and scotch. Taste is great and complex. Malty upfront with scotch whiskey and sweet toffee flavor. Then hints of fruits like cherries and plums. Finishs smokey and slightly hoppy but not too bitter. Body is medium carbonation with creamy smooth finish. I do like Scottish style ales.... This is definitely a fav.

4.06/5  rDev +0.7%

Ruby red in color with a small head. Smells of sweet dark fruits, some scotch, and toffee. Sweet malt and toffee on the palate with a very bitter finish. Very good beer, but the after taste is a little weird.

3.94/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured to a tulip glass.

A: The body is coppery to black having a big opaqueness but it still lets some light shine through. The head is beige and is minimal, no lacing is produced.
S: The aroma is very expressive for roasted malts, toffee and surprisingly green, as grassy and earthy. To some extent, near what a barleywine should smell like.
T: The taste starts with a very sweet beginning of roasted malts, toffee almost like toasted creme brulê but then it turns quickly into a harshly bitter end with over the top power on roastiness. The end of the sip is not very pleasant as it gives you a harsh bitter end followed by a big feel of booze.
M: The body is medium. Carbonation is high and perfect. Alcohol is very prominent. Bitterness is harsh although the IBUs present are not that much (50).
O: The sweetness of this beer is very interesting but I'll always tend to dislike the after-taste of this beer. It's not a barleywine. It's not a stout/porter. It stands in between but it's job it's not incredible.

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Deep ruddy brown that is rather clear with heavy head and lacing.

Flavor is hmmm. First flavor is water, followed by chocolate malts, light cola, and underlying pine flavors. Lightly carbonated.

Pretty good.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Enjoyed in the winter time by the fire. Great sipping beer to be had with friends while enjoying conversation. Nice aroma of scotch in this ale and a hard taste that is great. Nothing plain about this one.

3.54/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Not too shabby. Obviously I'm a starter stout drinker. I pretty much hate all other beers but stouts. This one is a porter and damn it, I'd drink it again. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

4.09/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured into a MacAndrew's thistle glass. Pours a dark, slightly hazy red orange with a thin light khaki head that dissipates to patches and light lacing. Aroma of caramel malt, plum and black cherry, light smoked peat. Flavor is somewhat dry caramel malt, plum, dates, light grassy hops and peat. Nice peaty, lightly hopped finish. Medium bodied with light creaminess. A classic Scotch ale profile to start, but ends with a little hop bitterness that is measured enough that it integrates into the earthy, smoky peat flavors. Nice malt that is not quite as sweet as many domestic examples of this style. Authentic and full flavored.

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled - Drank in a Weiss glass
Drank: 03.14.17
L: The coffee brown head was small and had incredibly poor retention. The body was cinnamon brown with hints of ruby throughout. Light carbonation present with mild clarity.
S: Rich malt with a slight earthiness.
T: Rich, full bodied, slight creaminess, faint hoppiness, and a earthy/smoky aftertaste.
F: The entire mouthfeel was smooth and creamy.
This beer kicks your ass without the pain. Its subtleness keeps you coming back for more.

4.67/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Look: one of the darkest beers I've had. This is my first likes scotch ale. I typically go for heife's. Great head, can't see through the glass.

Taste: strong barrel scotch taste with strong hop taste as well. Excellent taste I must add with a hell of a kick. First scotch ale and now one of my favorite beers for sure.

Feel: kinda thick tbh but still very carbonated. Best taste and feel when very cold.

Overall it is a must try for any beer lover. If you haven't had it you are missing out. WARNING: it will put you out don't drink a six pack alone like I did lol.

3.74/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Deep, reddish color with floating particles. Thin head with some streak lacing. The aroma is peat, molasses, caramel malt, and some herbal notes as well. The flavor is anice, peat, burned sugar, hazel nuts, and some herbal hops bitterness. Smokey qualities also. A complex beer with good flavor and balance.

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

Alright gents, it's the Kernell again giving you yet another breakdown of another fantastic brew. Let me start off by saying I'm no fancy smancy beer tasting extraordinaire with a pedigree to boot, I'm just a small town fried chicken tycoon, but I know a good beer when I see one.

I find myself struggling to start this review because I enjoy this beer so much I am thinking about calling off work and going to get some instead of finishing this. Upon opening the bottle it has a slight bitter smokey oak smell to it, pour it in a glass and let it breathe though, and my friend you have a delicious smelling brew indeed. It boasts a nice head and is just how I like my women, thick and brown. Its tastes a tad bitter at first but its complex taste of smokey oak/wood, peat and sweet malt push thru and shine in the end. This beer isn't for boys, its for men god d#$n it. Sure its a tad bitter, but only for a moment then you're rewarded for your dedication and patience with a taste that rivals my famous chicken bowls.

If you're new to Scottish Ales, looking for a beer with big flavor or are a fan of some Bourbon Barrel Ales I would highly recommend it. Every time I seen that crusty grinning Irishman on the bottle it takes me back to that first time I tried it, its the same night I came up with the formula for my extra crispy chicken and we all know how that went.

Buy a sixer and open a bottle of success you dirty bastards, KERNELL OUT!

3.77/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pretty strange brew, has big roasted malts but also has a weird Belgian yeast type smell/flavor..

Starts off sweet then a little peaty/Smokey bitterness hits you .

Drinkable but a little too much peat for me ..

4.27/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle 12 ounce, poured to pint glass
Appearance: dark brown, reddish when held against the light, light brown foam that disappears slowly, appears to be clear
Aroma: scent smell of malt, boozy on the drink, very good
Taste: very good to excellent, medium bitterness
Mouth feel: creamy, good carbonation, long follow through, no sudden drops, a bit sticky, long sweet bitter aftertaste
Overall: excellent scotch ale, very good beer repeat: yes look for: yes
drank: February 26, 2017 5:30 PM

4.03/5  rDev 0%

Pour is foggy brown and smells something sweet and butterscotch. It has an oddly flatish carbonation that is obsessive. Taste is a bit of those malts I was smelling earlier with a mild sherry wine finish. Slightly saltly. All in all it's a decent beer, was fun to try.

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow dirty bastard canned exceeded all expectations. The shelf life on those bottles gets shitty in Beaumont,Texas. So I feel like I'm trying a totally new beer.

Bready, caramel malts dazzle the taste buds and leave you refreshed but needing more. I guess that would be semi dry. Lacing is all over the place and maintains a head for longer than many a beer.

Damn fine smelling beer and almost coffee like porter taste and smell to it. Damn this gem just arrived at HEB and I LOVE IT. FAVORITE of its kind I'd say, I csn see why it'd bee Flounder's flagship ale. I bet is is godly on tap. One day!

Tell next time Founder's, really impressed. Thank you for an affordable, true craft beer of the style. Aw far as I jnowand Texas can't nearly meet this expectation I hsve now but we'll see. Cheers!

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Very similar to Backwoods Bastard, but less potent, less expensive, and more widely available. I can safely say I'm a big fan of both. Great, rustic feel

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Of a beer style that I rarely tested but repetié whenever possible. The only thing I miss is the density of water. I like beer with water denser and heavier

4.85/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First founders. Pours deep mahagoney into a snifter with creamy head nice malty smells. Taste is fabulous with flavor to a peaty whiskey aged in sherry barrels . I tend to struggles with scotch ales from Scotland being overly sweet and malty but this is balanced with 50 IBUs of hops brings and is a really great "wee heavy" American beer.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is one of Foundes beers that is not top of the line. Dark appearance with an aroma and taste that are good but not excellent. No alcohol taste. Well balanced.

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Love this ! Just wonder how long I have to exercise to get this beer off my thighs. Reddish brown, Flavor bursts in your mouth. Happy to sit on the couch and drink this

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle purchased at Total Wine in Spokane Valley for $1.99. According to the rear label, it was bottled on December 6, 2016. This is my first Founders beer that I've purchased for myself, now that they are sold in Washington. I've had Backwoods Bastard, thanks to Ri0, but never the standard version before.

Poured into an Iron Goat snifter, this was seemingly black in color until held up to light, which allowed a mahogany color to shine through around the edges. There was a tight, tan head that receded to a bubbly skiff after a few minutes. Beer neglige-style lace.

Sweet, candyish malt aroma, with a little bit of something suggestive of peatiness. Some plumminess as well. I also got licorice and toffee scents.

Smooth and sweet flavors at the first sip. The fruity and candyish notes from the aroma are present, but things are more complex. There's a smoky bitterness that melds with the sweeter aspects quite well. Deep in the background a mildly boozy alcohol flavor imparts a little "oomph" to the proceedings as it warms. Slightly mineral tang on the fadeout.

Fairly full bodied, which fits with the flavor. I haven't looked to see if this is a winter seasonal or not, but if so, it would make sense. Rich, creamy, coating mouthfeel.

This is a great American Wee Heavy. This is right up there with my favorite regional attempt at the style -Silver City's Fat- but I think this wins out by being a little more subtle, plus I love that it comes in 12oz bottles rather than bombers like most beers like this.

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Wow what a beer.

Look- deep mahogany flavor, big tan head with great retention

Smell- malty with a hint of hop

Taste- This really blew me away. Tons of sweet malty goodness upfront with whisky and caramel flavor. There are also hints of dark fruits like cherries. Those flavors by themselves are enough for this beer to be fantastic, but to top it all off there is a wave of hops that comes as the taste lingers on the tounge. Truly remarkable.

Feel- Smooth and full bodied, very nice.

What a brew. It costs basically $7.00 a bottle here in Seoul, so I won't be able to buy it often which is a real shame. Then again, maybe this beer deserves its own line in the budget so I can drink it whenever I want.

4.14/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Very nice. Didn't get the "dark ruby" mentioned on the label but the color was a dark stained mahogany with Huge Tan head bubbLing over. Smell was nice but didn't really advertise the taste to come. Tons of malty goodness... sweet, roast, caramel, bread. Really didn't get much hops which worked. Warming alcohol on the tale.

Founders Dirty Bastard from Founders Brewing Company