Founders Dirty Bastard | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Dirty BastardFounders Dirty Bastard

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Brewed with 7 varieties of malt (varies over the years).

Added by Mitchster on 01-03-2003

Reviews: 1,894 | Ratings: 7,410
4.24/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Of a beer style that I rarely tested but repetié whenever possible. The only thing I miss is the density of water. I like beer with water denser and heavier

4.85/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First founders. Pours deep mahagoney into a snifter with creamy head nice malty smells. Taste is fabulous with flavor to a peaty whiskey aged in sherry barrels . I tend to struggles with scotch ales from Scotland being overly sweet and malty but this is balanced with 50 IBUs of hops brings and is a really great "wee heavy" American beer.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is one of Foundes beers that is not top of the line. Dark appearance with an aroma and taste that are good but not excellent. No alcohol taste. Well balanced.

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Love this ! Just wonder how long I have to exercise to get this beer off my thighs. Reddish brown, Flavor bursts in your mouth. Happy to sit on the couch and drink this

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle purchased at Total Wine in Spokane Valley for $1.99. According to the rear label, it was bottled on December 6, 2016. This is my first Founders beer that I've purchased for myself, now that they are sold in Washington. I've had Backwoods Bastard, thanks to Ri0, but never the standard version before.

Poured into an Iron Goat snifter, this was seemingly black in color until held up to light, which allowed a mahogany color to shine through around the edges. There was a tight, tan head that receded to a bubbly skiff after a few minutes. Beer neglige-style lace.

Sweet, candyish malt aroma, with a little bit of something suggestive of peatiness. Some plumminess as well. I also got licorice and toffee scents.

Smooth and sweet flavors at the first sip. The fruity and candyish notes from the aroma are present, but things are more complex. There's a smoky bitterness that melds with the sweeter aspects quite well. Deep in the background a mildly boozy alcohol flavor imparts a little "oomph" to the proceedings as it warms. Slightly mineral tang on the fadeout.

Fairly full bodied, which fits with the flavor. I haven't looked to see if this is a winter seasonal or not, but if so, it would make sense. Rich, creamy, coating mouthfeel.

This is a great American Wee Heavy. This is right up there with my favorite regional attempt at the style -Silver City's Fat- but I think this wins out by being a little more subtle, plus I love that it comes in 12oz bottles rather than bombers like most beers like this.

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Wow what a beer.

Look- deep mahogany flavor, big tan head with great retention

Smell- malty with a hint of hop

Taste- This really blew me away. Tons of sweet malty goodness upfront with whisky and caramel flavor. There are also hints of dark fruits like cherries. Those flavors by themselves are enough for this beer to be fantastic, but to top it all off there is a wave of hops that comes as the taste lingers on the tounge. Truly remarkable.

Feel- Smooth and full bodied, very nice.

What a brew. It costs basically $7.00 a bottle here in Seoul, so I won't be able to buy it often which is a real shame. Then again, maybe this beer deserves its own line in the budget so I can drink it whenever I want.

4.14/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Very nice. Didn't get the "dark ruby" mentioned on the label but the color was a dark stained mahogany with Huge Tan head bubbLing over. Smell was nice but didn't really advertise the taste to come. Tons of malty goodness... sweet, roast, caramel, bread. Really didn't get much hops which worked. Warming alcohol on the tale.

3.79/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

First time drinking a Scottish Ale and wasn't quite sure what to expect. It poured very dark with a tan head, looks very much like a stout. Personally I have trouble pickup any significant aromas with this beer, sorta reminds me of Moose Drool, a brown ale, but its been a while since I've drank that. At first the taste was fairly bitter imo, but it starts to disappear and more flavor comes out as it warms up. I also got just a small hint of chocolate taste at the end, really wondering if I'm actually drinking a stout. Overall its ok, not my favorite, but definitely improved as I drank more of it.

3.47/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Mahogany? That is the color right? When you have a mixture of brown and dark red? That is what this is, replete with 1/2" off white head, great retention. Aroma of earthen malt, peat.

Taste, malty baby. This is like that thick girl without much flair. A lot of booziness, toffee, unsweetened, slight roast. Even a slight hop bitterness kick to it. 50 ibu scotch ale? Damn. Hoppier than to style for sure, but not a problem for me. Probably more booziness/abv too. So what. Mild smoke in the mouthfeel. Man, if they could only add lowland fog from the isles to this.

When they put this in barrels to become backwoods bastard, that is when it really shines.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Founders flagship beer if I remember correctly? It's obvious why. Great all around beer. and man, I could go for an 4 pak Backwoods Bastard right about now. Classic, a beer I've drank occasionally for many years now ... Beautiful, mahogany, ruby dark furniture look. Huge malted aromas and tastes. caramel, dark fruits, English toffee, smoke, peat. What I imagine Scotland to be like, dank, rainy, dark, mysterious. Bottom line, overall tremendous regular beer.

4.73/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Single-serve

Pours a nearly-opaque ruby-brown with a excellent foamy head and retention, eventually fading to very persistent sticky lacing throughout the drink. This is a fine-looking beer.

Sweet aromas of toffee and ester, smoke, and bitter hops all unite in a fine balanced presentation,

Dark malts and dark fruits are very forward on the tongue, with whiskey and smoke close behind. And then, at the finish--a blessing of hops. This wee-heavy is hoppier than the standard of the style (and I'm not a hop-head by any stretch) but I refuse to mark it down for that. The hops take this brew to the next level. The hops and the crisp carbonation make for a remarkably dry finish for such a malty beer.

The mouthfeel is similarly inspiring given the malty sweetness. The carbonation and hops again prevent this from becoming a sticky mess. If there is any complaint, it is a "wee bit thin" for a "wee heavy."

Overall, this wee heavy may not hew perfectly to the brew standard for this style, but beers aren't dogs, so I don't care if this example of the "breed" is a little scruffy. The hops here are present and perfect and make for one of the best, if not the best, Scotch Ale I've ever had.

4.29/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Deep ruby red body, mostly clear, with an off-white head about a finger or so thick that dissipates slowly. Smells of molasses, malts, and peat. Tastes smokey, a little caramel flavor, peat, and a touch of alcohol. Well balanced and smooth. Flavors pleasantly flow and meld together. Slight aftertaste but not overwhelming or unpleasant.

A: Dark brown with a red cherry tinge, unfiltered, hard to see any carbonation, a foam of tan rather than a head.

S: Whiskey, caramel and stinky foot. Scotch whiskey in particular, and oak. Butterscotch ice cream. Banana split.

T: Bourbon barrel scotch aged whiskey underpins a Belgian style dark ale. Getting flavours from both. Dark fruity fragrance, but definite wee heavy. Got the dark malt quality, the scotch, and stout like darkness, but carries the essence of scotch.

M: Heavy, bready body, highly carbonated.

O: 8.7 out of 10. Delicious malty wee heavy with a bad name. Definite punch to this one, dark and delicious with weight in alcohol. Would go well with camembert cheese, or goat or other white creamy cheese. I had this in Kalamazoo several years ago, but am revisiting it again in Chiang Mai, Jan 15th, 2017.

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Dark reddish brown color, think tan foamy head. Sweet malty start and peaty hoppy finish. I enjoyed the transition of flavors. Smooth with nice mouth feel. Like it.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark brown, almost black color with a decent sized, beige head.

Smells of molasses, caramel malts, burned toffee and earth - rustic and inviting.

Has a very low carbonation, silk on the tongue, very sweet till mid palate until the finish, in which a pungent dryness mingles together with the initial maltiness.

Toffee malts with a rustic earth wrapping creates the taste foundation in this. Gets a very pleasant roasty touch during mid palate, enriching the malts, with a slowly evolving herbal note. After the swallow hops get way more noteable, producing an almost tongue numbing dryness of dried grass, replacing the sweetness by even more earthen toast in the finish.

Pretty darn wild on the tongue, sweet, roasty, then dry- convincing in every of its aspects with a great balance.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I quite like this ale. For some reason I have a hard time identifying the exact secondary flavors. The primaries are easier. I like the weighting of smokiness, hops, malt, and alcohol. All are present, but very balanced. Not subtle, but not over the top. Beyond that, I want to say caramel and butterscotch and maybe a hint of orange, but I only get that last impression on occasion. Sometimes I'll share a bottle with a friend, and I rarely want to drink more than one, but I don't mean that in a negative way. It's just a pretty substantial beer, and even a smaller quantity makes for a satisfying experience.

4.07/5  rDev +1%

Looks: Dark ruby brown. Thick head with tint of the beer. Smell: Malty with light smokey peat and alcohol on the nose. Taste: is sweet, peaty, malty, and smokey, all of these overpowering any hop presence to me. Mouth feel is heavy and creamy. Overall: a great beer. I like a good Scotch style ale for a night capper, and this is one of my fav breweries. I have no idea how it took me so long to try this. I feel like this is the perfect time to drink it too, 5° F out. This has a warming effect. Great nightcapper beer.

4.04/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Look - Dark amber with red highlights. Semi-translucent. 3 1/2 finger red-tan head. Lacings dominate throughout the glass

Smell - Malts, Dried fruit, and a slight caramel note predominate the nose (I'm getting more excited as I go). There's also a slight toasty smell at the very back end. It's not super complicated, but it sure is good

Taste - Caramel, Toast, and a slight carbonised bitterness are the initial tastes. There's definitely a booziness to it, ending with some warmth at the back of the throat. There's a very light sweetness at the front end which anchors those dried fruit aromas.

Feel - This is where this beer really makes a stand. It has a wonderful, fuller body. It's not particularly bready, but it has a wonderful weight to it, which is understandable given the higher ABV. In addition to its weight, it also coats the tongue marvelously. Smooth is definitely a good word to describe it

Overall - while I expected something slightly maltier, I am nothing less than satisfied, pleased even. Beautiful to look at, with an inviting aroma. It's drinkability and smoothness belies its booziness, though, so imbibe with care.

4.19/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy medium, ruddy brown with a huge (3+ fingers) tan head that recedes to a dense island cap leaving sheets of chunky lacing on the sides of the glass. Aroma is chocolate milk, roasted malts, butter, nutty & slight hop notes. Taste is chocolate, caramel/toffee, butter, various dark fruit with subdued hoppy undertones & a slight bitterness. Aftertaste is chocolate, toffee, roast, butter & nuts with a burnt note. Mouthfeel is moist, voluminous, drying in the finish & aftertaste with a chalky aftertaste.

3.95/5  rDev -2%

Nice dark look. Ok. I'm scenting a malty beer but refined and less sweet on the nose something biting in the background of this bouquet. After I scent again this is smelling even better, maybe something sweet in the back somewhere also. Thinner stout like flavor. I'm getting some of the scotch and alcohol flavor on the back end. Strong 8.5% that fades as you drink this one. Dangerous I'm upping my overall because the sum is better than the individual parts. This is decent but not my favorite style personally which might affect my final number. If you really like wee heavy ales this might be for you.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

355ml bottle poured into a sniffer.

Dark brown in color with some ruby tinge, one finger of foamy tan head forms up and stands for a while before subsiding to some bubble film atop along with lots of lacing patch and spot on the glass-side.

The aroma is packed up with generous varieties of malty goodness ranging from brown bread, caramel, vanilla, brown sugar, slight roasted, wood, hint of smoke and peat, as well as cocoa, coffee, and creamy chocolate. Apart from that, there are also notes of dark fruits, citrus, and some astringency. Overall, it is quite malty aromatic.

The caramelized and sugary sweetness yet breadiness from malt are robustly upright and nicely mingle with some roasted yet smoky and peaty wood again from malt. Some astringency reveals in the middle with a character of coffee for more complexity sake while the finish is wrapped up by pleasant bitterness from both hop and roasted malt trying to balance and linger as the aftertaste.

The body is between medium and full with some lively carbonation that is excellent to carry all the things well inside the palate, very smooth with a wave of silky effervescence and dry finish.

Very intense malty brew with many varieties of malt usage, anyway, I would consider as easy drinkable since it is not too hefty or cloyingly sweet but nicely balance and very tasty.

4.53/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

L - I drank my Dirty Bastard out of a bottle, so I didn't experience the true color of the beer had I poured it in a glass. I like the artwork as I think it is indicative of the 'manly' taste of Dirty Bastard.

S - The beer smelled good. Reminded me a bit of fall.

T - Dirty Bastard tasted very good. I could taste the scotch with perhaps hints of oak or maple. Overall the beer really went down well and I would have it again.

F - Good texture. Not too carbonated that it left me feeling gassy or full. Smooth and good for drinking slowly.

This is none boozy beer. You smell the booze as soon as you crack the cap, it pours dark in color with an off white head, tastes of scotch hence a scotch ale. Leaves a little lacing on glass. Good beer overall meant for sipping.

4.44/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Founders Dirty Bastard | Founders Brewing Company, courtesy of @nicholas2121. Poured from the bottle into a snifter, this head on this brew is two fingers thick and light tan, with lateral lacing, and a clear profoundly dark reddish brown body.

I smell a fair bit of scotch boozieness, along with approporiately accomodating notes such as hints of oak, vanilla, freshly cleaned leather, and a tad bit of candied dates and raisins.

Tastes like a malty, yet smooth adaptation of the scent I've described. Nothing is too sharp or harsh, especially as it warms. I'm also noticing a pinch of black licorice/anise that make me wonder how well this would blend with Jagermeister. I digress...

Mouthfeel is just slightly above medium with mild carbonation. Alcohol warmth is mellow and inviting.

Overall, I'll give Founders Dirty Bastard | Founders Brewing Company a 4.5. A more viscous offering that will liven up a dull, dreary late fall/early winter's eve with zero effort. This would be a good "old world tavern" brew for a night of total nerdiness i.e. LOTR/GOT/"Vikings" viewing, fantasy RPG's, and pagan/folk black metal. SKÅL!

4.52/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours nice deep copper with thin head, drinks like a Belgium strong dark with an infusion of scotch and mild sweatiness. Very good beer, but not as great as other Founders like their stout and porter.

Founders Dirty Bastard from Founders Brewing Company