Founders Dirty Bastard | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Dirty BastardFounders Dirty Bastard

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Brewed with 7 varieties of malt (varies over the years).

Added by Mitchster on 01-03-2003

Ratings: 7,493 |  Reviews: 1,915

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a small bottle into a tulip. Paired with some roasted cashew nuts.
The color is dark cola and it delivers a nice 1-inch beige head that lingers quite long. Smell is very pleasing, caramel-driven. Good body and carbonation, the high ABV can barely be felt. Crispy aftertaste courtesy of the well balanced hoppiness. The dominant flavor I found was that of prunes, intermixed with caramel malt and some light roasted notes. Very enjoyable. I wish I had more bottles in my fridge!

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip glass - ...
A - beautiful cocoa-black brown with a quarter inch frothy head. Blood red linings when held up to the light
S - wonderful smokey sweet smell - very hard to pinpoint a descriptor. Almost like baker's dark chocolate.
T - I get Caramel and maple syrup from the malts, slight hop bitterness that leaves your tongue tingling on the finish. Very well balanced with a pronounced caramel hop. Slightly alcoholic on the aftertaste as well but its masked well with the hops.
M - smooth and the hoppy, medium to heavy bodied. Its a moderately attenuated beer at 8.5%, which does hit you before you finish the beer. The caramel malts lace your mouth and lips for a luxurious drinking experience.

Wee heavys are one of my favorite styles and I think Founders really did a good job with this one!

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

style: Scotch Ale
brewery: Founders
glass: Mug
temperature of beer: 55F

Appearance: butterscotch in color, hazy. Beautiful creamy head that wouldn’t go away, it looked and felt like a melted marshmallow

Smell: werther’s original, grass, rich hops (which I guess is just an awesome marriage with the malt),

Taste: like werther’s original was melted in the sun and someone added a few hops and dried prunes. I’m thinking it’s like the Amarone of the beer world. (or is Amarone the Scotch ale of the wine world?)

Mouthfeel: rich and smooth, like a melted marshmallow.

Overall Impression: Awesome beer. I love the caramelized prune flavor. With the rich creaminess and the carbonation that rips right through it’s a perfect balance. Being the dirty bastard that I am, this is absolutely something I would drink many times again.

Food Pairing: I find myself drawn to a briskit sandwich with some jus to dip into. I could also get into some orange ginger chicken. I’d love to try this also with some Mutton stew. For dessert: pineapple upside down cake.

Founders Dirty Bastard from Founders Brewing Company