Founders Dirty Bastard | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Dirty BastardFounders Dirty Bastard

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Brewed with 7 varieties of malt (varies over the years).

Added by Mitchster on 01-03-2003

Ratings: 7,558 |  Reviews: 1,935

3.53/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Founders Dirty Bastard

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a CBS snifter. Served chilled...

A) Brown with red tint when held to light. A little over a finger of dirty white head. The head settled to a wispy dusting. A bit of lacing.

S) I had to let this warm to room temperature to fully appreciate the malty sweetness. Caramel and butterscotch, kind of a faint turtle sundae thing going on here.

T) Not nearly as sweet as the nose indicated. Quite earthy, with some grass. The alcohol was pretty noticeable as well. Lingering aftertaste... Where did the sweetness go???

M) Medium body with a pretty good dose of carbonation. This could have been smoother for my liking.

O) I really like Founders, but this is not doing much for me. If I'm looking for a Scotch Ale brewed in Michigan, it is going to be Scotty Karate 100% of the time.

3.25/5  rDev -19.8%

4.68/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured in a standard beer glass at about 50 F.

A: Rusty, ruby with a small beige head and decent lacing.

S: Butterscotch, peat, slight chocolate, malts, Phenol alcohol and slight yeast esters.

T: Malty goodness with a hint of chocolate, butter scotch caramel and a slight hop bitterness.

M: Medium mouth feel, moderate but adequate carbonation and a slight alcohol bite.

O: This is the best We-Heavy that I have tried, there may be other great ones out there but this one is a winner!

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I remember not liking this beer, but I had it recently after my palate changed from craft brews.

It pours in a black dark color with a little head.

It smells of breadiness and sweet malt. There's some woody and earthy notes in the aroma. Burnt raisin.

The flavor is deep, earthy, and dark fruit. There are big rich flavors in there. It's a true "bastard" with the alcohol, resin, wood qualities. There arThere's a bitter end.

The mouthfeel is like a porter. It's surpsingly easy to drink despite the ABV.

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Just got back from my friend Kat's wedding. This brew pours up mahogany with light off white lacing. Aroma is malty, caramel, molasses, red apple peel, subtle kiss of hops. The taste is subtle smoky, caramel, vagina, little bittering hop background. Full bodied, nice crispy carbo bite. I'm Scottish and I gotta say, this is a damn fine wee heavy

4.46/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Drank in a tall flute at a new gastropub in NJ.
Place is getting great reviews because they have a simple but gourmet menu and a long list of craft beers in bottles and on tap. I decided on the Founder's Dirty Bastard.
It was the perfect compliment to my streak with Bourbon sauce and root vegetables.
Even though there was an extensive selection of beers, I was enjoying the Dirty Bastard so much I just stuck with a couple of them before coffee and dessert. I like the high ABV darker malt beers and this was a good one.

Founders Dirty Bastard from Founders Brewing Company