Founders Curmudgeon's Better Half | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Curmudgeon's Better HalfFounders Curmudgeon's Better Half

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Old Ale

Old ale aged in bourbon barrels previously used for Michigan maple syrup.

Added by Jason on 01-09-2012

4.3

I enjoyed this beer on tap at Founders in 2012. Simply sublime. Perfect. It was the most delicious and complex beverage I have ever consumed...and I have tried virtually everything Founders has produced in the last three years.

Review is for Dec 25, 2016 bottle, aged 4 years & 10 months in dry cellar

Previous drinks:
June, 2013, aged 1 year and 4 months in dry cellar
February & March 2012 on release

The most incredible beer I've ever had. I love their Crumudgeon Old Ale. It's absolutely delicious with or without a year of cold-aging. Aging it with Maple Syrup Bourbon Barrel? Incredulous. Cellar aging for almost 5 years? It was so good, I knew I had to tell the world about it. So it gets a proper review.

Being as it was almost 5 years old, I suspected my bottle was beginning to hit the end of it's life. What better time to drink it than at the start of drinking during Christmas.

APPEARANCE
Pours a thick, almost viscous, slightly dark, clear, honey-amber appearance into a chalice. Absolutely gorgeous appearance. The real treat were the suspended maple syrup crystals all throughout it in a proper display of entropy. Varying in size but an incredibly delightful sight. I don't think I'll ever see something like that in a beer so wonderful again in my life. No head and no points off, because it's 5 years old.

SMELL
Malt, caramel-like scents, a tiny bit of oak. The bourbon is very, very light on the nose. It's almost disappeared in a sense. An indicator of what's to come in the taste. Not too much earthiness as I've seen from 1-year aged curmudgeons.

TASTE
Room temperature. Tastes of caramel, vanilla more than anything. Small notes of the oak. The taste has become so complex it's quite hard to describe how the bourbon has become mixed in with the rest of it. I think it came out, after all these years, perfectly assimilated into the rest of the beer. Halfway through you might actually think they put some butter in it as well as strange as that sounds. There is a little bit of bitterness at the end that complements its complex flavor. Far less bitterness than there were in previous vintages. It's crowning accomplishment is having the perfect amount of sweetness to it, which is balanced out with it's other small flavors.

FEEL
Incredibly smooth. It goes down as described by how it looks and tastes. The aftertaste it left in my mouth very much made me want more of it. Drank it slowly to truly enjoy it and let it open up.

That's it, folks. Best beer I've ever had.

Very, very special.

Thick, with little white beads all through out the ale, sweet, sweet and boozy. Absolutely perfect. RIP

I have had this in bottles as well and on tap at Founders and at a bar 3/18/12.

The color is deceiving to me, I expected darker...however, the flavor waiting in the glass is out of this world.

The smell...it is apparent immediately that the famed Bourbon Barrel Maple Syrup process was used.

Boozy...Yes please...it doesn't hide the fact it is aged in Bourbon barrels.

When I got it poured, I ordered a small 4 oz glass of another beer to let this warm, the warmer it got, the more incredible it became.

I hate to say it, but I would have to say this beer is neck and neck with CBS, if not better IMO.

Founders Curmudgeon's Better Half from Founders Brewing Company