Founders Curmudgeon's Better Half | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Curmudgeon's Better HalfFounders Curmudgeon's Better Half

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Old Ale

Old ale aged in bourbon barrels previously used for Michigan maple syrup.

Added by Jason on 01-09-2012

Liked:
4.31/5
Alströms:

4.56/5  rDev +5.8%

4.14/5  rDev -3.9%

@ Sam’s

Getting one of the last pours, my glass was on the murky side, but still retained an attractive creamy froth on top. Interesting mélange of aromas: bourbon barrel, coconut, warm toasty malts, vanilla, caramel, maple, fruit esters, and licorice. Surprisingly smooth, even flavor that stays out of cloying territory. Only a slight maple presence ties things together…bourbon, tea, figs, dates, and a surprising green sort of character that’s hard to pin down. Smooth and chewy, drying out into the finish. I think this must be in its sweet spot right now. No overt booziness, super smooth and even flavors, just a very pleasant experience all around. I only wish I got there a half hour earlier so I didn’t get the last glass, but I’m just glad I got to try it.

2.75/5  rDev -36.2%

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

I enjoyed this beer on tap at Founders in 2012. Simply sublime. Perfect. It was the most delicious and complex beverage I have ever consumed...and I have tried virtually everything Founders has produced in the last three years.

3.75/5  rDev -13%