Founders Bourbon Barrel Sumatra Brown | Founders Brewing Company

Style: American Brown Ale

Added by TCgoalie on 03-10-2012

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 31
4.74/5  rDev +1.3%

Had this at the 2012 KBS release party at Founders.

Appearance: Chestnut brown with a thin head.

Smell: Huge notes of coffee with vanilla and caramel. Smelled positively divine. I think I smelled this beer more often than I actually sipped it.

Taste: Like the best cup of coffee you've ever had. The bourbon is extremely well hidden underneath the coffee, vanilla, caramel, and hints of maple syrup and toffee.

Mouthfeel: Extremely smooth, not a lot of carbonation, decent body to it.

Overall: This is one of the best beers I've ever had, period. I honestly keep debating with myself whether I enjoyed this or the KBS more. I do know I drank more of these than the KBS at the release (I also foolishly assumed I'd be able to snag some bottles in the area since I live here), so take that for what you will. If Founders ever releases this outside of the taproom, I will be one of the first ones to line up.

4.62/5  rDev -1.3%

on tap at the kbs release, 8oz pour served in a nonic.

a - pours a murky chestnut color with only a thin film of tan head. leaves some spotty lacing in the glass.

s - massive fresh roasted coffee with notes of chocolate, vanilla and oak. smells like a coffee shop.

t - again massive coffee flavor, sweet carmel malt, vanilla, oak. very little hop character or bitterness, but not overly sweet either.

m - medium in body and carbonation with a fine co2 profile.

o - i'm amazed at just how much this tasted like a fresh roasted cup of coffee. very drinkable and very well put together. a must try if you ever visit founders or see it on tap.

4.67/5  rDev -0.2%

On tap at the kbs party.

A-pours a rich muddy brown with a thin tan head.

S-smells like the most delicious gas station cappuccino. May sound odd but it has remnants of vanilla, white chocolate, toffee and just a hint of coffee.

T-lots of vanilla, hazlenut, chocolate, caramel, toffee, up front with some sweet woodiness in the finish. There is also an aura of maple syrup in every sip.

M-so creamy and smooth. Almost no carbonation with a slight boozy bite at the finish.

O-I drank this side by side with kbs and I just had to put the kbs down. This beer is abzolutely amazing and so drinkable. At around 8.5% this has the flavor and drinkability like no other BA beer I have had

4.67/5  rDev -0.2%

smells of supreme coffee and wonderful caramel. Marshmallow and maple syrup...yum.

Some creamy coffee finish.

So much coffee, maple, creamy, wonderfulness. It is so creamy and good!

It is amazing! It is as tasty as any Founders maple barrel beer! And I am at the bar...neesd more words!

Founders Bourbon Barrel Sumatra Brown from Founders Brewing Company