Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown | Founders Brewing Company

Style: American Brown Ale

Added by bashiba on 03-18-2012

Ratings: 1,189 |  Reviews: 300

3.51/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a semi dark brown. Definitely some lighter tan tones in the light. About a 1 finger head that laces and retains well.

S- Strong, sweet coffee scent all the way. Pretty one-dimensional in the scent category.

T- Similar to the scent, but a little more complex. Starts with heavier malts, but the sweetness quickly kicks in. Definite nutty flavors from the hazlenuts. Somewhat artificial sweet flavors. Finishes very sweet.

M- Very light for the style. Not especially carbonated for the style. Hides the 9% ABV very well.

Overall I think this was very over-hyped. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't very good either. I'm hoping the next Backstage (Bolt-Cutter) is much better.

3.03/5  rDev -23.5%

Thanks to Andrew for sharing this bottle.

A - Dark amber with a ring of white head.

S - Hazelnut coffee - plain and simple. Not much else going on here at all.

T - Hazelnut and coffee flavours completely overpower this beer. A slight bitterness in present in the finish but overall this is very sweet throughout.

M - Medium body. Light carbonation.

O - Glad I tried this at a tasting as there is no way I could have handled a bottle to myself. This is the first Founders offering that I have been disappointed with. Not a bad beer, but very one dimensional.

4.06/5  rDev +2.5%

I love brown ales and I love coffee so I'm quite excited to try this one. Poured into a snifter. Big thanks to JoeFuzz for this.

5.0 A: Deep mahogany brown color. Not as brown as most browns. Two fingers of creamy tan head. Retention is very good given the ABV and glass covering lacing is left.

4.0 S: The hazelnut sure as fuck comes through. It smells great, but is not wholely natural. Actually, it smells like hazelnut coffee from a gas station, which isn't bad, but isn't world class either. Toastiness underneath and enough sweetness to balance. The score I give is a reconciliation between how much I enjoy the nose (4.5) and how much I respect the artificial nature of it (3.5).

4.0 T: Taste is much like the nose in that it tastes like a cold, carbonated hazelnut coffee from the Sheetz down the street. Toastiness and enough sweetness to give the impression of having some half & half in it. Again, I like it, but I don't think I can respect it.

4.0 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Superbly smooth with a light creaminess. The body fully works for this beer.

4.0 D: I bought some nut extracts to use in some homebrew, but then went out to buy actual nuts after my test runs had an artificial taste and smell to it. However, artificial isn't synonymous with bad. Sure, I don't respect the artificial additions, but they can work well. This is an example in which they do work well.

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

750 mL bottle courtesy of mtrutlin. It was poured into my Brooklyn Brewery tulip.

Frangelic Mountain Brown pours a deep, dark brown, with some nice auburn highlights. Just over two fingers of off white foam cap the beer, and there's a little bit of head retention and lacing. The nose is a hazelnut bomb at first, with a bit of coffee to it as well. The base brown ale only begins to shine through later on as the beer warms. The flavor profile is similar in its initial one dimension-ness. At first it tastes like cold, carbonated hazelnut coffee. It's not exactly bad, but it doesn't make for a great beer either. Gradually though, some caramel and light chocolate notes emerge and give the beer a bit of depth. The hazelnut coffee is still firmly in charge, but it's not all that's there anymore. The body is surprisingly (and disappointingly) light for a big brown ale. The carbonation is nicely in tune with this though, and still doesn't overpower the beer. Frangelic Mountain Brown, despite going a little overboard on the flavor additives, was a nice was to spend my evening. It just has a lot to live up to given the quality of some of the other Backstage Series beers.

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%

Bells snifter.

A- hazy brown, tan head that fades quickly.

S- Amazing! hazelnut upfront fading to coffee and chocolate nuttiness, sweet like an iced mocha latte.

T- nutty, coffee, browned sugar, mocha, light toffee, rich.

M- smooth as silk, delicate and gentle sip after sip, no acidity from the coffee.

O- Wonderful beer for a style I normally do not reach for I would be happy to have this around all the time. another great execution from founders.

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

Served at 45` Poured into English Pub glass. I got a two finger head, off white, nice foamy bubbles, sticky lacing. Head settled fairly quick. Nice dark amber color, a bit murkey.

Smell the coffee and hazlenut, hint of booze more as it warms. My nose is not sensitive so I don't pick up much else.

First taste picked up bitter note that mellowed into toffee, caramel, milk chocolate and hazelnut. Booze is hidden but comes out more as it warms. I like the balance of bitter and sweet creaminess. Nice lingering bite. I love coffee and was eager to taste this one. But it may be a bit cloying.

Feels rich and creamy. I like the carbonation not too much. As I rest between drinks my mouth anticipates another washing.

Overall. I it's enjoyable and I could repeat this one but the cost is too high for what you get in return. (too hyped) It may not be very complex but a simple straight forward taste enjoyment can't be knocked. It is my first of their backstage releases.

4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

Bottle shared thanks to Darrell, thanks man.

The beer looks good, it has a brownish hue but has some serious gold to red tint to it, with a nice off white head with good lacing.

The smell is awesome, it really reminds me of a pastry with serious hazelnut and pecans. Also reminds me of a coffeehouse smell too, even maybe a bit of maple and wood. Very nice.

The taste is good too, it's super flavorful as most of founders beers always are, but a bit forced maybe with the added flavors. The coffee and hazelnut is certainly highlighted big time, it is really huge, and almost as a feel like a latte, with only slight carbonation and more of a fluffy milk like feel. Some slight hop edge, decent malt too. This would be amazing at christmas time, really would be perfect.

A really nice beer, very flavorful and lives up to the founders name.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

2.75/5  rDev -30.6%

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

3.84/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Prime 16 during the Founders CT launch party.

A: Clear, deep dark persimmon body with just a 1/2" of frothy off-white head. Mediocre retention and lacing. Ok Brown Ale.

S: Powerful hazelnut, coffee, and chocolate. Simple, and simply great.

T: Opens with huge coffee, toasted hazelnuts, and some chocolate. The hazelnut persists onto the finish, where it's joined by potent booze. Nuttiness and spicy alcohol on the aftertaste. Discordant and ultimately underwhelming, despite having some really tasty things going on.

M: Creamy medium body. Really great for the style.

O: Loved the smell, but not the back-end heat. Not a bad beer by any stretch, but far from the awesomeness I was expecting.

Cheers!

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

After splitting the 750ml bottle with my older brother I took a second to admire the beer's magnificent dark red color, which reminded me of some english brown ales that I've tried in the past. Though when held up to the light I could see some hints of brown. As the beer settled it was topped with a one finger off white head, which left an attractive amount of lacing and alcohol legs on my snifter glass.

After a quick mental drumroll I put my glass up to my nose and took my first whiff of Frangelic Mountain Brown. As expected I was met by strong notes of hazelnut coffee which were followed by hints of toffee and milk chocolate, and a touch of roasted malt. The dominance of the hazelnut coffee in the aroma ushered in a bit of apprehension prior to my first sip. In other words, I hoped the same wouldn't be the case for the beer's taste.

Indeed the coffee was again dominant in the beer's flavor profile. This left other typical brown ale flavors such as toffee and roasted malt character as background hints, which needed to be though about in order to be perceived. What eased the drinking experience for me was this beer's smooth and creamy mouthfeel. At 9% ABV, the beer glided over my palate like a 6% brown ale would and helped prevent the hazelnut coffee flavor from becoming overwhelming to my palate.

If you're a fan of Founders Brewing Co.'s beers, brown ales, and or beers with coffee added I'd recommend giving this beer a try. I should note that despite its limited availability I chose to purchase and try this bottle before making the decision of whether to pick up second one. In turn, while I did purchase a second bottle of the previous three Backstage Series beers, I decided not to continue that trend with Frangelic Mountain Brown. Rating 7/10

4.4/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Nice brown color with hints of dark red. Nice off white head, about a finger.

S - Smell has a hint of a brown ale, but if I close my eyes it's like I'm smelling hazelnut iced coffee with cream. And with this beer, that's what I want. Awesome smell.

T - Much along the lines of the smell. Not quite as awesome, but still basically a hazelnut coffee with cream. Nicely sweet with some toasted malt to remind you it's a beer. Really well done.

M - Pretty smooth, creamy. Not quite perfect so a 4.5. The drinkability is insane on this one. No hint whatsoever of 9%.

O - For a brown ale brewed with hazelnut coffee, I can't imagine it being much better. Maybe if they brewed it with hazelnuts and coffee it might taste even better and more natural, but I'm not going to nitpick too much. Gets a slight knock on the artificial flavors, but it's still the best brown ale I've had.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

3.67/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a murky dark amber/brown with a one and a half finger off-white head. Leaves great lacing on the glass.

S- By far the best part of the beer. Smells like a great cup of hazelnut/choco coffee. Vanilla and light roast are in the aroma as well. Great.

T- Falls short for Founders standards. Bland, old coffee, roast, and hints of burnt caramel. A disappointment after smelling the nose.

M- Light side of medium bodied, This beer should have a much bigger body than it does. It feels thin, and almost watery. The one saving grace is it is smooth.

O- Not a great effort from Founders. A beer with a fantastic aroma, but falls short for a special release. Too expensive to get again.

4.24/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Typical of a brown ale. Brownish Mahagony with a head that quickly wears out.

S: Nice Hazlenut Coffee, Light Malt, Some Toffee Hints. Light bread notes.

T:Really a good taste. The hazelnut coffee is the standout feature, follows by Toffee and nuts with a mild sweetness. Excellent.

M: This beer was a little to thin for my taste. Had the consistency of a New Castle which is fine if you are drink New Castle.

O:Go for it. I wouldn't make it something I would hunt for but if chance arises give it a go.

Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown from Founders Brewing Company