Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown | Founders Brewing Company

Style: American Brown Ale

Added by bashiba on 03-18-2012

Reviews: 300 | Ratings: 1,184
3.92/5  rDev -1%

A: Pours a lighter than expected ruby/dark brown/amber. A n agressive pour yields a one finger tan head.
S: aroma is dominated by coffee and roasted notes. Smells sweet with slight booze. The hazelnut really stands out as well.
T: this bad boy is complex. Starts sweet with the hazelnut jumping out at the front but then slightly quelled byblack coffee, roasted notes. Toward the back, a bit of the booze kicks in, slightly astringent(my only complaint). Finishes slightly bittersweet, the only trace of hops I can really detect.
M: Medium carbonation, slick and thinner than expected. Dry finish with a boozy, bittersweet finish.
O: enjoyed this brew a lot. The complexities alone make it worth the purchase and at 9% abv I was surprised how quickly I made it through the bomber. This has so many characteristics of a stout, you need to remember its a brown and judge it accordingly. A fine brown indeed.

4.45/5  rDev +12.4%

A: Awesome deep ruby color. Big tan head that stays for some time.

S: Super earth on the smell. Definately some dirty woody piney oak. A good sweetness and nuttyness.

T: That nuttiness really comes through, alcohol seems a little too powerful. The synergy between the two makes a little funky like vegetable taste. Taste is good but not like... killer.

M: Super creamy. When this hit my lips I knew it was gonna sit well. A little tinge of alcohol is the only takes a little something away from the rich creamy texture.

Overall a solid beer. The execution of the beer is excellent but the taste gets a little funk going that takes something away. I would grab a bottle if you see one.

3.15/5  rDev -20.5%

Hopefully i'm not nuked for this review...

Poured into my Southampton snifter.

A nice brown color. Not murky. Not light. Medium-ish.A fair amount of head. Solid retention. Lacing does in fact remain.

Smell is of bunk hazelnut. It says that on the label. Well maybe the bunk part is left out It's strong. No denying the coffee and bunk hazelnut.

Well.... There are no taste secrets here. H a z e l n u t. Roastiness, cigarette butts, and awfulness.

Thin and highly carbonated.

It isn't the worst beer I've had, but for Founders, this is just plain awful, Have fun wasting your dollars.

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

A 750 mL bottle of the recent release. Drank from a DFH signature glass.

A - 4.0 - Pours a deep brown color with dark ruby hues throughout the body, giving it an almost blood red glow. A centimeter or so of off-white head lingers for a bit before subsiding to a pillowy mass in the center of the glass and a light around the edges. Scattered patches of bubbles serve as lacing.

S - 4.5 - The aroma is of hazelnut, roasted almond, English toffee, caramel, cashews, and various other nuts. A nice amount of freshly roasted coffee comes through as well, as does a faint amount of vanilla.

T - 4.5 - Hazelnut, caramel, roasted coffee, almond, and other nuts push right out in the flavors. Theres a bit more coffee here than in the nose, but it’s not overpowering at all. Toffee and vanilla are there, and some faint raisin and dried date come out towards the end. Theres some brown and cane sugar flavors, but no ethanol.

M - 4.0 - Mouthfeel is thinner than anticipated, which is actually quite nice. I was afraid this one would leave the palate a sugary, resinous mess, but it finishes relatively cleanly with only a bit of the nutty flavors lingering. The finish isn’t necessarily sticky, but it’s somewhat dry.

O - 4.0 - While the nose is dominated by the nutty aromas and hazelnut, they’re much more integrated in the body and the coffee is allowed to come through a bit more (as are some of the other more subtle ingredients). This would make one great evening sipper by a fireplace, or a great breakfast accompaniment.

2.36/5  rDev -40.4%

I'm a huge Founder's fan, and I can honestly say that this is the first time that I've been disappointed in one of their beers. It started off as an above average beer, but the more I got into it, the more I realized that it was an average beer. It could be that I just expected more from Founder's and so my disappointment was greater than if this were brewed by a less stellar brewery. I'm not even sure it was an issue of artificial versus real hazelnut coffee. I would have liked it to be a bit thicker and chewier and that might have cleared up most of my misgivings on this particular ale. Oh well, I still highly anticipate anything new that they put out.

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

Review from Fall 2012
750 mL bottle poured into a Founders snifter

A: Nut brown in color with ruby highlights. Looks quite oily.

S: Hazelnut coffee. It's that simple. If you're expecting anything else you're out of luck.

T: Most definitely hazelnut coffee. Thats about all I get. Coffee is slightly tannic. I would not consider the pure hazelnut coffee flavor that bad as that is what Founers was going for, although I would have liked it to be sweeter. Flavors became slightly less pleasing as the beer warmed although not terribly so.

M: Slick, oily, and slightly viscous.

O: This had potential to be a top favorite of mine in the brown ale style as well as beer in general. I love hazelnut coffee, but I needed this one to be sweeter (you won't hear too many people say that).

750ml poured into my Founder's Tulip

A: Dark brown with a two finger off-white head.

S: Lots of hazelnut and coffee take the forefront of the aroma. I'm also picking up a sugary sweet smell underneath the hazelnut and coffee.

T: Strong hazelnut upfront. As the hazelnut fades into the background, a malty sweetness emerges until a slight bitterness from the coffee settles out the back.

Medium carbonation and body

I really enjoyed this beer. As it began to warm up all of the flavors began to intensify and really brought the beer to its full potential. This would have made an excellent fall release. Nonetheless, Founder's has put out another top notch brew.

3.97/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Pours a very dark brown color, nearly black in color. A small tan head builds pretty quickly but nothing too high. Pretty standard looking brown ale/stout brew.

S: Smell is very very coffee heavy, but I do enjoy the smell. The coffee aspect is very heavy but it is still very good. Get heavy hints of the roast but still very focused on the coffee flavors.

T: Very coffee heavy flavor as well. Has hints of the normal brown ale flavors, roasty, toast flavors, but that is well dominated by the coffee flavors and hazelnut that is put in this brew.

M: The mouthfeel is very full and well balanced in my opinion. Very smooth yet well rounded mouthfeel, wouldn't expect anything less from Founders.

O: Still really do enjoy this beer, despite all the negativity from the fact that the coffee is artificially flavored, but I honestly could care less if it was artificial or natural, if the beer is done well it works for me.

3.2/5  rDev -19.2%

A: Clear ruby/cola brown color, modest off-white head with not much retention and a little lacing.

S: Lots of hazelnut, as promised. Nutty and sweet, with a bit of vanilla and subtle roasted malts beneath the creamy nuttiness.

T/M: Well, it is what it's supposed to be, heavy on the sweet hazelnut. That hazelnut coffee creamer flavor dominates, with a heavy milky sweetness to every sip. The initial sweetness and nuttiness is eventually joined by a roasted malt flavor, adding just a touch of much-needed bitterness to this syrupy brew, but never enough to truly offset the sweet hazelnut. Mouthfeel is medium, tending towards light and thin.

O: I'm not sure what I expected, but this is way too sweet and one-dimensional for me, especially since I've got a whole bomber sitting here. It definitely should have been in 20 oz. bottles, but even then it's just not a successful experiment. I like sweet beers generally, but this is too much with not enough extra character to balance it.

4.27/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a 22-oz. bomber into a pint glass.

A - Body is a slightly hazy almond skin brown color. Yields a finger of light tan head with decent retention. Some lacing on the glass.

S - Strong notes of rich, earthy coffee grounds and sweet caramel. Hazelnut has a strong presence as well. Lots of aromatic malt.

T - Malt and sweet hazelnut flavor from the get-go. A stronger, more bitter coffee flavor follows shortly thereafter. Just a touch of fruity acidity from the coffee. Hazelnuts, walnuts, chocolate. This is a rib-sticker of a beer. Very rich, sumptuous flavors all meld into a not-quite-overly-sweet hearty brown ale. Absolutely no hint of the 9% ABV. Drinks like a mild brown.

M - Medium to thick body. Fits with the big malt and hazelnut presence. This is an Autumn beer if I have ever had one. I think I'll be going back to buy at least 3 more to save up for the colder months ahead.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours with a nice high head, about 2 fingers, tan in color, and lusciously creamy. Nice murky ruby brown color to the beer. Head retention is good and the lacing is a bit better than good. The aroma is straight up hazelnut syrup mixed with hazelnut creamer to me at first. Then I start to get some nice coffee, brown sugar, toffee, salty peanut brittle, light vanilla coffee creamer, and hints of roasted malts. Even thought it's like coffee creamer beer, the aroma is really inviting! On the taste you can tell it's a brown ale base, with the roasted malts, caramel, and toffee, but then the wonderful hazelnut and vanilla creamer notes come in wonderfully strong, with coffee and bitterness, peanut brittle, and brown sugar not far behind. The aroma just barely beats out the taste, but both are quite good. Velvety smooth consistency, creamy carbonation, medium-full body (thanks to the creamer effect), and a lingering but smooth finish amount to a superbly drinkable beer.

Well, I'm sitting here outside, enjoying mid 50 degree weather and a fire pit cause I can with this awesome brown ale. The combination is outstanding. I was actually a little leery of this beer due to some of the negative reviews it got, but drinking it, it's pretty freaking good even if it is the beer equivalent of coffe creamer! Kudos to Founders yet again, for another awesome beer, even if it wasn't maple/barrel aged :). Also, must give a big thank you to Ryan/tut2528 for this as AN EXTRA in our recent trade. You're awesome man!

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%

Thanks to RoamingGnome for this one.

Served cellar temp in a Duvel tulip, split three ways with my father and sister

A - Pour is a light brown with lots of carbonation, a little bit of white head which dissipates rather quickly.

S - Smell is fantastic - intense coffee dominates the nose, with a good amount of chocolate malt following

T - Again, strong coffee taste up front, which dominates the beginning of the palate, followed by pretty intense hazelnut, and a hint of bitterness at the end.

M - mouthfeel is actually fairly thin, not too much carbonation, and a bit of lingering alcohol.

O - This is the most intense coffee smell and taste I've had in a beer. Not a bad thing, just a fact. I really enjoyed this, but I'm glad I split the bottle as that would have been a tall order to finish myself. On the verge of a dessert beer

4.24/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle into a snifter. Bought on Alabama's first day of legalized large bottles!

A: Dark, muddy brown. Almost no head on this, just a bubbly tan ring around the outside of the glass. Obviously a very large beer.

S: Wow. Aroma is huge here. Hazelnut, coffee, brown sugar, very sweet smell.

T: Right after the nose. Hazelnut and coffee flavors are huge and every bit of this, maybe even some peanut butter like sweetness? Some syrupy notes in it as well. Overall, a big brown bomb of hazelnut and coffee with light bittering to keep it from being too overwhelming.

M: Chewy as one would expect. Slick in the mouth, with only a light carbonation tingle. It's a big beer with a big body, as one would expect.

O: Founders has an incredible take on bringing depth to a beer, and Frangelic fits that mold. Sweet, sugary, but complex in flavors. Hazelnut dominates, but subtly is there. Great ale.

4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

I really wanted to love this one...I really did, especially given all the negative reviews. This is the third bottle I've tried and I just can't get into it.

A: Good - reddish brown with a moderate amount of head.

S: The smell is simply amazing. I personally dislike hazelnut coffee, but I can't stop smelling this (probably why I've bought so many bottles). I almost recommend buying one just to sniff it.

T: This is the problem, the taste is not there. It tastes like a poor to average brown ale doused in hazelnut syrup. Its too bitter and too sweet. In all honesty it seems hard to classify as a beer - I second other reviewers who could see this as an offering from Starbucks.

M: Way too thin.

O: Founders I love you but I don't understand how this came to market. I'm in love with how this beer smells, but it may be because it smells like dessert. I just think this is a below average beer. I have 2 more in the cellar...maybe in the future I will become a believer!

Edit: maybe I was influenced was all the negative hype that follow the release or it's just the age, but I've had this a few more times now and have really come to enjoy it. Scores update to reflect, but not comments

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

Thanks to Strangebrew321 for this one.

Pours a very dark brown with 1 finger of khaki head.

The smell is straight hazelnut coffee. Heavy on the artificial hazelnut, light on the coffe, then just a bit of roasty, chocolate malt behind it. No discernible hop presence on the nose.

The taste is pretty much the same. Really feels like I am drinking an alcoholic version of hazelnut coffee.

Mouthfeel is nice. I would have never guessed 9%, drinks much lighter than that.

Overall, glad I got to try this one, but I won't seek it out again. I occasionally like a cup of artificially flavored hazelnut coffee in the afternoon and this is no different. If you don't like cheap hazelnut coffee, you will not like this beer.

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

Frangelic pours a slightly off colored brown that becomes a deeply rich mahogany color when held to the light. A light beige one and a half finger head is comprised of large, soapy bubbles and take a small time disappearing. It's a deep looking brown ale but it's nothing to write home about.

Artificial hazelnut and malt are the first two things I get on the nose. Not too artificial smelling but definitely there. There's a slight alcohol on the background but it's very hidden. Hazelnut, coffee, malt, caramel and alcohol are about all I get from this beer. It's smells very sweet and slightly one dimensional, but not in a bad way. The nut scent stands out here and I'm sure that's what Founders was shooting for.

Hazelnut flavored coffee up front. What can I say? The malt follows and is very nutty and sweet. Lots of caramel flavors under coffee. The malt backbone here really reminds me of Fat Tire for some reason...
Very sweet and I see why some don't like it. I enjoy the sweetness though but I don't know about dropping $13 a bottle for this more than once.

Overall a medium thickness in the mouth. Thinner than a stout but thicker than the usual brown ale.

Overall, a great brown ale with an interesting showcase ingredient. I fail to find the "nasty" artificiality that some are getting and I find that the artificial hazelnut note works out well within the whole beer. The price and availability are the only limiting factors. While I'm delighted to have had a bottle, it's not something I'll chase down.

3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

Picked up a bottle in a trade form Holmes698. Thanks!

Poured on 8/3/12.

Appearance: Brown with an amber hue and one finger of foam that settled to a rim. Some spotty lace.

Smell: Lightly roasted malts, strong coffee scent, and a unique hazelnut aroma.

Taste: Sweet up front with a hazelnut emphasis. Coffee is not overwhelming, but it is a centerpiece of this beer. Light roasted malts and a minimal hop presence keep this one slick as it finishes. A little bit nutty as well.

Mouthfeel: On the light sid for this style with average carbonation. Just a bit of warming from the booze.

Overall: Didn't blow me away, but I can't say I didn't enjoy it. If you like coffee and hazelnut, give it a try.

2.56/5  rDev -35.4%

Picked up a few bottles of this in anticipation of a great experience. I expected very good things from this experiment. Sadly, it was a huge disappointment.

A - Looks great poured into my Russian River pint glass. Nice toasty brown color, and an impressive 2 finger ivory head that stuck around a while, though lacing was minimal. Very attractive.

S - Eh. Some hazelnut and coffee with a bit of toasted malt in the background, but not a ton of aroma from this one.

T - After the aroma, I was less sure about this. The taste was just awful. It tasted like someone took a large-ish brown ale and added too much artificial hazelnut syrup to it. The flavors were sharply different on the tongue and didn't meld together well at all. I tried drinking some colder to see if that would help, but it was the same thing. Not much in the way of coffee flavor. I would have dinged the flavor even more, but there is a sense on the back end that there's a pretty good brown ale under all those artificial hazelnuts. I got through 1/3 of the bottle before I was left with no choice but to drainpour.

M - Decent feel, carbonation felt right, and it was a bit sticky, which is to be expected from a big brown.

O - I'm a bit hastier about my drainpours than most probably are, but this is not a good beer. The artificial flavoring creates a sharp contrast between the hazelnut and brown ale flavors, where they should meld together. The base beer is almost completely drowned out by the hazelnut. I'm hoping 6 months or a year dulls the edges on this one, but this one is almost undrinkable right now.

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from a 750ml large format bottle into a brandy snifter.

A - pours a medium brown that appears to be an intensely deep deep mahagony when help up to the light. Very clear. A finger and a half of a medium khaki head forms and dissipates quickly, most likely a side effect from of the coffee oils as I can rouse up a finger of head by agitating the glass.

S - nutty and bready on the forefront that quickly makes way for a sweet hazelnut and coffee bouquet. Chocolate. Smells a lot like the Ferrero Roche hazelnut chocolate ball things. The aroma smells a little off/sweet/artifical on the very end.

T - this is not up to par with the nose. Dark bakers chocolate with a slight palate drying is very apparent. Coffee stong in the mid and late palate. Biscuit. The hazelnut comes on strong in the middle and finishes with an off bitterness that isn't very pleasing. Some caramel in the middle. Not much else apparent from the dominating fake hazelnut flavor. The coffee lingers on my palate/breath for many minutes after sipping.

M - I think this might be where this beer fails for me. It's very thin, especially for 9%. However, when it's way colder (colder than where the aroma should be enjoyed), the mouthfeel appears to come into where it should be.

D - low. Too much artifical flavors to enjoy.

Hype/Expectation Factor - 2.0 very low. I was expecting something awesome and it just didn't deliver.

Overall, an ok beer, but I was expecting so much more. The aroma is lovely but the rest just doesn't deliver. I redl about the artifical hazelnut and not sure it was an end all, but the balance wasn't there for me. The mouthfeel is way off imho also when consumed at proper temps. I think some residual sweetness may have helped cut through the coffee and hazelnut and bring some balance to the force. Hoping the next backstage gets back on track to the awesomeness of Blushing Monk, CBS and Better Half (a.k.a. Kaiser Curmudgeon).

3.62/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- It poured out a really dark brown color that you can see red through it as you hold it up to the light, however not transparent. The head was minimal and died off fast.

S- First thing I pick up on this one is strong hazelnut coffee, the rest is real soft and light on the nose with vanilla, and some creamer. Can you say hazelnut coffee, nice!

T- I get a sweet flavor right up front but do not pick up a hazelnut like on the smell. I get more of a dark fruit taste in this for some reason with a bitter taste of coffee on the back end. I also pick up some alcohol on this one. On the very end there is some vanilla and a slight hazelnut. Not what I expected from the smell.

M- Medium body with a good amount of carbonation. This one feels like it is scrubbing my tongue clean as I drink it.

O- Frangelic Mountain Brown is good however it is real pricey coming in at $14 for a 750ml bottle. I would pass and look for something different IMHO. I was really looking forward to this as I am a huge Founders fan, however it did not live up to my expectations.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Bottle into cigar city snifter, split with a few very happy friends.
Had this beer several times from bottle and tap, figured I would review since I've only one bottle left :(.

A - deep dark brown with minimal head and no lacing. Fairly typical for a brown ale but looks nice. And trust me, you can smell this thing immediately

S - hazelnuts, coffee, hazelnuts, coffee. Lather, rinse, repeat. If either of things is NOT your thing, move on. Just an amazing nose. Only slight detractor would be a wish for a stronger variety of coffee. But overall one of the best smelling NON-IPA beers I've smelt in a long time.

T - taste is equal to the nose. Coffee and hazelnuts abound. There is a very solid brown ale base that is elevated by the other favors. I never tried the cashew variety but now I am reallly sorry I never got a chance. Truly impressive brown ale.

M - very light on the tongue considering all the flavor going on. Carbonation is just right and the creaminess never becomes cloying. Great.

O - FMB is a fantastic beer, brown ale and liquid beverage in general. Yes the price is high (though I paid $12.50 for my first two bottles), but the flavor and aroma are worth the price of admission. The only thing bad is trying to drink it slow enough to savor it much less review it. If ou can find it, drink it. You will not be sorry. Another homerun for Founders.

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter

A- pours a clear mahogany with a slight red tint around the edges, almost a soda appearance, a very small cream colored head appears and quickly dissipates to a ring, a nice ring of lace left around the glass

S- dark roasted malt, toffee, dark roasted coffee, espresso, the hazelnut really comes through on the end, very nice, really excited to taste this one

T- wow, really impressed on this one, roasted malt, very strong hazelnut coffee flavor, sweet vanilla, really tasty

M- medium-light body, not unlike an actual cup of coffee, smooth and creamy, medium carbonation

O- very easy drinking beer, extremely tasty, I'm sad I only had the opportunity to grab one bottle, also a dangerous beer considering it's 9% ABV and the alcohol is barely noticable

4.82/5  rDev +21.7%

Poured from a bomber to a Founders Tulip:

A: Medium colored brown, not as dark as I expected, but pretty deep brown. Pours a 1.5/2 finger tan head that lingers and fades to a simple rim around the glass. Pretty good lacing on the glass as I drink it.

S: Hazelnut. It's huge, it's a bomb on the nose. The coffee is pretty much back seat, it smells really good. Burnt sugar and coffee meddle with cocoa and a toasty biscuit smell.

T: The nutty hazelnut quality is really in your face, but you get the lighter roasted coffee flavor and the malty toasted flavor with it. Very balanced. Chocolate, and toasted biscuit notes in there, with the floral hops, and the slight syrupy nutty flavor is present, there is a slight spicy note that really give you everything but the kitchen sink! The hazelnut flavor really lingers and has a slight liquor like finish to the end that isn't bad. Alcohol is hidden, nothing to be found here for 9%. Allowing it to warm really brings the nutty flavor to the front.

M: Medium body, a bit lighter than I expected, would have liked it a bit thicker perhaps. Carbonation is just right, enough to really get the whole picture. Smooth, slightly creamy, but could have been lusher with more to it.

O: Great brown ale. I love browns, love coffee, and love hazelnuts. I really like this beer, and think it's a really good brew! Glad I got to get a bottle of this, and think it's one of the better brown ales I've had.

3.92/5  rDev -1%

It pours with little head with an instant aroma of sweet, a sign of what's to come. Carbonation is light. The beer is VERY sweet and just might be one of the sweetest beers I have had. I didn't really pick up any of the artificial sweetner taste that a lot of people are talking about in the BA forums. You do however get the hazelnut coffee taste in the beer 100%, mainly in the finish. It is like Founders took a solid brown ale and added some run of the mill Dunkin Donuts hazelnut flavored coffee to the beer. Overall I'd put it in a range of B+ to an A-. Can I see why people chase it? Yes. Would I prefer it over any of the Breakfast Stouts? Not really. Would I buy it again? Yes. Would I chase it or seek it in a trade? No. In all, it is a good beer and I see why it is popular, but it isn't stellar. Whew, I think I'm done.

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

Bought at work, looking forward to the next back stage series from Founders.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with a slight reddish hue. A 1+inch off white cream head with excellent retention. A little lacing.

Smell: Strong sweet earthy hazelnut smell. Light tone of dark creamed coffee. Caramel and chocolate. No abrupt hop smell at all. Basically a smooth sweet brown ale.

Taste: Immediate nutty flavor. Lighter with other flavors. A little grain bitterness. Caramel as well. I was expecting more from a back stage series. The coffee taste seems like coffee that has been twice brewed.

Mouthfeel: Very light for a beer of this nature. Carbonation is there though. A thicker viscosity with medium carbonation would assist in balancing the grain and coffee bitterness.

Drinkability: Overall it's an excellent looking and smelling beer. It lacks a little character from what is expected of the usual Founders backstage series. Not up there with the greats... CBS, Blushing Monk, etc...

Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown from Founders Brewing Company