Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown | Founders Brewing Company

Added by bashiba on 03-18-2012

Ratings: 1,189 |  Reviews: 300

3.62/5  rDev -9.3%

Alrighty, here we go.

Brown with a solid slow transient tan foam sheet. Smells like strait up hazelnut flavoring syrup creamer - like I put in my cheap coffee at work when somebody else has brought it in. A little vanilla and graham cracker crust; expecting bottled beetus. Flavor is hazelnuts, some vanilla pudding a bit of coffee and bread. Pretty much exactly as described on the label - cool. Not liquid Beetus, as I feared. this is all readied on the carriage of medium body, low carb and an off dry finish. wish the dentists wife were here, she'd dig it. The 2.5 for overall is simply because it's not my cup of tea, but merit for such a strikingly precise attempt and execution for a beer.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

A: medium brown ale with ivory cream head - some motes of lace once head thinned

S: hazelnut, roasted malts

T: again, hazelnut, faint coffee, lightly roasted malt, bitter hops; has a very unusual and specific taste (owing to the strong bitter and hazelnut combination) - I'm sure it will appeal to some and not so much to others

M: thin to medium body, touch of the alcohol slips through, slightly bitter/dry, traces of a chalky aftertaste

O: I missed out on CBS and Better Half, which I would probably have loved, but I get to try their brown ale (not a huge fan of brown ales, but I am a huge fan of Founders), and it was what I expected: good, but not mind-blowing - at least that's my initial impression. Founders is always worth trying/buying, and perhaps for brown ale fans, this is exceptional, but for my tastes, simply good.

4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

A - Pours a brown color with a bit of amber coming through around the edges and a finger of frothy khaki colored head. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some nice lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of sweet caramel malts with some brown sugar, roasted coffee, hazelnuts, and some earthy hops.

T - Starts off with a mix of sweet caramel malts with some hazelnuts and other nuttiness. Through the middle, some roasted coffee comes through with some earthy hops and some brown sugar. The finish is mix of sweet caramel malts with roasted coffee, hazelnuts, and a bit of earthy hop bitterness.

M - Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a dry, roasted, and sweet finish.

D - Very drinkable. Good imperial brown ale with the hazelnut coffee coming through very nicely.

4.75/5  rDev +19%

4.27/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed from notes, drank on 6/28/12

Pours dark brown with reddish tinge SUPER thick off white light brown head. Smells overpoweringly like hazelnut coffee. Low carbonation. Taste exactly like it smells - super strong hazelnut coffee! Not a big hazelnut fan but here its great.

4.39/5  rDev +10%

8oz pour, on tap at Founders Fest. Fresh brewed. Served in a plastic Founders cup. High class!

Pours deep brown with 1.5 finger tan head. A sort of golden brown around the edges. Nice lacing- even on the plastic cup.

Terrific hazelnut coffee nose! Just insane how freakin good it smells. I can't stop sniffing.

Taste really delivers on that hazelnut coffee nose. Hazelnuts and coffee dominate with cocoa, caramel, mild charred malt and brown suger. No trace of alcohol, just coffee and hazelnut goodness.

Medium light bodied with just enough carbonation to keep the flavors active for a long zesty aftertaste.

Outstanding! I'm having trouble finding a store in Atlanta that will start any kind of waiting list for next month's bottle release so it was awesome to try this at the brewery. Definately worth a shot if you get the opportunity.

3.15/5  rDev -21.1%

750mL bottle. Pours a medium to dark brown color with an inch of light tan head. Good amount of lacing. Aroma is a big whiff of hazelnut coffee, sweetness, caramel, vanilla and earth. The taste is a cloyingly sweet hazelnut flavor with an artificial sweetener aftertaste. Nutty and earthy. Hints of caramel and vanilla but the main flavor is the hazelnut. The artificial sweetener taste doesnt go away and almost has a metallic taste to it. Thin mouthfeel. I love coffee beers but the artificial sweetener and hazelnut flavors are just not working here. This beer isn't bad but isn't great either. 750mL is probably too large a format for this beer. A 4 pack of 12oz bottles would have been a better call. Overall, a disappointing beer that I dont need to drink again.

3.92/5  rDev -1.8%

A: Poured a lighter color brown than I was expecting as it poured into the glass. However, sitting in my Schlafly snifter, it appeared a VERY burnt brown.

S: Chestnut, Christmas scent for sure. What? This is hazelnut? Wow, don't mind if I do. I'm biased now since I'm a huge hazelnut fan.

T: Most certainly some coffee notes in this thing. Aside from that, this was the way it smelled, only LESS intense. This wasn't the dessert feature I was searching for. Not on a pedestal....

M: Not sugary... more nutty, and with a bit of coffee lingering. The lacing on the glass was ridiculous.

O: Man, I think it wasn't what I expected from Founders. It was good, but it wasn't.

2.4/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Thanks to brystmar for this bottle recently. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a ruby-tinted, transparent, milk-chocolate brown. Big hazelnut notes, sugar cookies, light ethanol. Crisp mouth with a decent amount of carbonation. Whoah! Holy cheap hazelnut creamer, Batman! Yowzas. This is sickeningly sweet. Whatever else characteristics I expected are all but drowned out. I can't get past the hazelnut on this one. I knew going into this, that that was the main player with this beer, but let's learn some subtlety, yeah? I need another beer to wash this flavor out. I wanted to try this since it came out, but this is not pleasant. The worst beer I have had from Founders. Pass.

Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown from Founders Brewing Company