Founders Bolt Cutter | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Bolt CutterFounders Bolt Cutter

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Barleywine

Bolt Cutter is a cellarable barley wine with an ABV of 15%. Dry-hopped with a mountain of Cascade hops, it’s balanced by a malty sweetness and spicy complexity, resulting from barrel aging some of it in bourbon barrels, some in maple syrup-bourbon barrels and some not at all (standard fermentation only). We’ve allowed the beer to mature in bottles and kegs since July so that it would be perfect for its release next month. Bolt Cutter pours a deep copper color and is best sampled at different temperatures to allow the flavors to unfold.

Added by Thickfreakness on 11-03-2012

Liked:
4.05/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,342 |  Reviews: 237

4.96/5  rDev +22.5%

My holy grail barleywine. I remember when this came out in 2012 I couldn't really afford a 20.00-25.00 bottle of beer. Most of the beverage centers around had it and one by one the bottles were going.

There was this one place in Saratoga that had one bottle left for like a year. I finally decided to pull the trigger and when I went there it was gone. Now, 2017 I stumbled across it in the day after a founders tap takeover at the Ruck in Troy.

Four years has aged this beer into a magnificent journey. Raisins and dried fruits, brown sugar and nicely mellowed hops all blend together nicely into a very enjoyable beer that was every bit that I hoped for

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

pours deep orange with a very small off white head

smells is fairly hoppy for a english barleywine some amazing citrus notes with a slight sweetness.

taste like a iipa on the first sip...as it warms the malt character shines through with a slight oak taste if i didn't see 15%abv on the label i would have never guessed

mouthfeel is on the lighter side with light carbonation

overall if you are comparing this to king henry you will be very thrown off. this beer is exquisite in its own right...something completely different, awesome beer.

4.88/5  rDev +20.5%

A day to remember. Arrived to Founders on BoltCutter Release Day #1, November 11th, 2012. We made our presence known as the first in line at this ticketed event. We were greeted by a kind-spirited employee, who'se heart bears the striking resemblence of St.Nicholas on the magical eve of Christmas, suggesting we join our fellow beer brethren in the masses of the parking lot....We were obviously early. When the Clock stuck noon we were ushered in to the sound of the chicken song. As beer geeks frantically rushed to the store, our excitement reached epic proportions...would our trials and tribulations be worth the anticipation? Skip ahead to minutes later, after purchasing our bottles and appropriate bolt-cutter glasswear, we trekked across the street to experience our gift from the brewers, perhaps aj offering from the benevolent gods above. We poured the liquid gold into our glasswear. Gather round pals, for the tale of Boltcutter....

A: Pours a Bright copper red-orange, reminiscent of the rare Bengal Tiger pelt. A fluffy egg-shell white head rising from the depth of this untamed beast. Gives way to an elegant spider-web lacing (most likely resemembling the fierce Sydney Funnel-web spider (atrax robustus)

S: A bouquet of fresh Hawaiin Pineapple, Dark amber maple syrup from the majestic maples of Vermont. A slight tone of biscuit, just as grandma would prepare on our bi-weekly sunday brunch. The aroma truly fills the nares with gifts of joy and happiness.

T: Heavy Tropical Overtones with a mellow presence, giving one the feeling of an awe-inspiring autumnal sunset. The aforementioned pineapple dominates like a stallion with it's mare. As one sips the brew, the warmth of red dying coals of a huntsman midnight fire. A Floral Hop bitterness, as bitter as the loss of the beloved family ferret (RIP Gerdy).

M: Thick like a swollen Baboon rump. Creamy like fresh-churned butter as would be applied to grandma's bi-weekly biscuits. A light carbonation teases the tongue.

O: As this review comes to a close, the experience shall not be forgotten. The legend of the BoltCutter shall be passed down from generation to generation just as the stories of our time that define a people....I miss Grandma

4.88/5  rDev +20.5%

4.81/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

Super-surprised to pull this off the shelf! It's redemption for me; I left this on the shelf back before I knew what it was, and have been kicking myself ever since I found out what I passed over.
Poured into fluted snifter; deep, rich brown-ruby with a fluffy off-white head that fades quickly leaving sticky lacing everywhere.
Smells great; nutty toasted caramel malt, lighter notes of candied fruit. Barely any alcohol in the nose, the age has mellowed this well I'm sure (granted it aged on a shelf rather than a proper cellar)
Taste is perfect for a barleywine. As soon as it enters your mouth, it is everywhere. Sweet hearty nutty caramel malt, like thick sweet bread, candied fruit and warming alcohol. This beer is modest in its perfection; it does what it does well, without being over-the-top about it.
Mouthfeel is big, thick and sticky, although the finish isn't cloying
Overall, this is the best barleywine I have had to date. I'm so glad I managed to find one of these sitting on a shelf. It is perfect for the style, while also being a massive beer, while still being modest. Perfection.

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

A- Small amounts of lace and deep amber, but still lighter than I expected.

S- Bourbon and Vanilla hit the nose instantly. Cinnamon, Nutmeg, even got a little Coffee and Chocolate in there somewhere. Extremely Flavorful.

T- A lot hoppier than I was expecting but what a pleasant surprise. Malt and Vanilla most prominent than the Bourbon/Boose, as it reveals its 15% ; still fantastic for an ABV that high.

M- Full bodied; Warming

O- Another fantastic brew from Founders. Might even be my 2nd favorite to date behind the CBS. Stocking up on this and plan on aging as many bottles as possible to share on special occasions for years to come.

Viva La Nemesis