Founders Mango Magnifico | Founders Brewing Company

Liked:
3.59/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,538 |  Reviews: 290

Tasted like mango cough syrup

1.15/5  rDev -68%

I'm thankful the bomber was only about $11 and that I intended to share it with a couple of friends. I wouldn't have wanted to take this journey solo and would have hated myself if I'd paid anymore than I did.

I'd heard how divisive this beer is but I wasn't deterred as spicy mango is up my lane. I love mango with Tapatio sauce. I love dried mango with salt and chile. Founder's seemed to be shooting for this and there were glimpses of it on the finish, but damn if I didn't have to plow through baby diaper and cotton candy to get to that spicy mango. Damn if the nose and flavor didn't almost cause some retching with that baby diaper funk. What the funk is this aroma and flavor doing in my beer?

I'd love to see someone capture mango and chile in a beer. Founder's captured more Gerber's from the butt unfortunately.

1.21/5  rDev -66.3%

Appearance - Light golden color. Looks a lot like a standard pilsner. Light carbonation. Nothing special here

Smell - Little to no aroma at all. Upon first smell I thought I was smelling a Miller Lite. I tried to quaff something out of this but unfortunately couldn't

Taste - At first sip I was met with an overly sweet mango flavor that smoothed out into honey and was pleasantly surprised. But then things to a sever turn for the worse. The habanero came smashing it and completely took the beer over. The never went away and merely burned at the tongue. Instead of providing a subtle heat under the sweetness it just wrecked my pallet. Not a pleasant experience at all

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel was very thin and drank like the consistency of a glass of water. Fine for the style I suppose but added nothing

Overall - This was a huge disappointment from one of my favorite brewers. Founders usually hits home runs when they try something new, and especially when they put it in their backstage series, which has brought us such greats as: Doom, Curmudgeon's Better Half and the iconic CBS. This beer has no idea what it wants to be and is too untamed for the pallet. As fantastic as Founders is, avoid this one at all costs

1.23/5  rDev -65.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

1.25/5  rDev -65.2%

1.25/5  rDev -65.2%

1.5/5  rDev -58.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Orange semi hazed color, orange tinged head. Lots of mango on the nose. Touch of pepper on the nose. Lots of sweet mango upfront followed by hot pepper flavor. Finishes with an insane amount of heat which covers the alcohol pretty well but damn is this thing spicy, must be a lot of habenaros in this. The mix of mango and habenaros is nice at first but beyond my first sip, this beer is far too much. Flavors build and build and build and become overwhelming, i like spicy foods, but heat isn't supposed to be this much of a player in a beer. splitting this amongst two people would be tough, only got through a qauter of the bottle before drain pouring. Every sip got worse and worse and as the beer warmed up it just started to taste like mango habanero vodka, overpowering in a bad way. Too sweet and too spicy at the same time. Cloying, and painful. I think people are trying to find the good in this beer because it has founders written on the label but this beers a giant dud and a giant waste of money.

1.51/5  rDev -57.9%

1.53/5  rDev -57.4%

750ml bottle poured into a Founders Brewing Company snifter.

The beer pours a rich apricot color, fairly clear with just a slight haze with a soft, fluffy, white head that has decent retention and leaves a nice amount of soapy lace behind. The aroma is brutal, tons of habenero spice, vegetal onion, earthy bitterness with almost no mango fruit to speak of. There is no sweetness to balance the beer at all, just pure, abusive heat. The taste is no different, punishing heat and vegetal habanero flavor, onions, grassy earthiness that is lightly bitter with no trace of alcohol or mango or even any malt profile to help counter the spice. The mouthfeel is shockingly juicy and coats the mouth very well, which really just scalds with beyond reason by the spice, and it does have a nice creamy feel at the finish and it goes down easily, which I can only suspect is an intended.

Verdict: Harsh, brutal, punishing, unforgiving and just awful. I applaud the idea from Founders, but like many spicy beers, this has no balance, no complexity and no nuances. Easily one of the worst concoctions I've tried to date. I'll just go back to waiting for their Harvest Ale and Breakfast Stout.

1.55/5  rDev -56.8%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

I love everything from Founders. At least I did until I tried this. Interesting concept but poor execution. I didn't mind the heat it was the off taste and horrible mouthfeel that bugged me. Left my mouth feeling sticky. Heat felt artificial not warming. Worst beer I have tasted in years. Drain poured half of it.

1.58/5  rDev -56%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Pours a hazy golden amber color with a small off-white head. Head is gone quickly and doesn't leave any lacing.

The aroma is all mango with a touch of spiciness. No complexity whatsoever and it smells like a fruit smoothie with pepper flakes.

The flavor is an abomination. Finishing this beer feels like I'm doing a dare. It's cloyingly sweet with a burst of mango and pineapple juice, then comes the peppery spiciness that feels like someone poured Tabasco sauce into my juice box at recess. This is a prank. An awful prank.

The feel is thick and sticky and I honestly think I'm drinking corn syrup. I need milk after drinking this. But also something salty and bitter. I need salty milk. Wait....

Overall, this is an awful, awful beer. It's sickeningly sweet like a mango cough drop but it also has that annoying, lingering spiciness. I feel like I ate mangos dipped in sugar and then vomited into my mouth and swallowed.

1.58/5  rDev -56%

1.69/5  rDev -52.9%

This is the sickly sweetest beer that I have ever tried. I have no problems with fruit or peppers added to beer, but this was like drinking Boone's Farm. After pouring a half down the drain the first day, I tried it again the next and the poured out the bottle.

More of a wine cooler than a beer.

1.7/5  rDev -52.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Founders Mango Magnifico from Founders Brewing Company