Founders Mango Magnifico | Founders Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
Founders Mango MagnificoFounders Mango Magnifico

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Jason on 07-19-2013

Reviews: 283 | Ratings: 1,491
1.15/5  rDev -68.3%

I'm thankful the bomber was only about $11 and that I intended to share it with a couple of friends. I wouldn't have wanted to take this journey solo and would have hated myself if I'd paid anymore than I did.

I'd heard how divisive this beer is but I wasn't deterred as spicy mango is up my lane. I love mango with Tapatio sauce. I love dried mango with salt and chile. Founder's seemed to be shooting for this and there were glimpses of it on the finish, but damn if I didn't have to plow through baby diaper and cotton candy to get to that spicy mango. Damn if the nose and flavor didn't almost cause some retching with that baby diaper funk. What the funk is this aroma and flavor doing in my beer?

I'd love to see someone capture mango and chile in a beer. Founder's captured more Gerber's from the butt unfortunately.

1.21/5  rDev -66.7%

Appearance - Light golden color. Looks a lot like a standard pilsner. Light carbonation. Nothing special here

Smell - Little to no aroma at all. Upon first smell I thought I was smelling a Miller Lite. I tried to quaff something out of this but unfortunately couldn't

Taste - At first sip I was met with an overly sweet mango flavor that smoothed out into honey and was pleasantly surprised. But then things to a sever turn for the worse. The habanero came smashing it and completely took the beer over. The never went away and merely burned at the tongue. Instead of providing a subtle heat under the sweetness it just wrecked my pallet. Not a pleasant experience at all

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel was very thin and drank like the consistency of a glass of water. Fine for the style I suppose but added nothing

Overall - This was a huge disappointment from one of my favorite brewers. Founders usually hits home runs when they try something new, and especially when they put it in their backstage series, which has brought us such greats as: Doom, Curmudgeon's Better Half and the iconic CBS. This beer has no idea what it wants to be and is too untamed for the pallet. As fantastic as Founders is, avoid this one at all costs

1.5/5  rDev -58.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Orange semi hazed color, orange tinged head. Lots of mango on the nose. Touch of pepper on the nose. Lots of sweet mango upfront followed by hot pepper flavor. Finishes with an insane amount of heat which covers the alcohol pretty well but damn is this thing spicy, must be a lot of habenaros in this. The mix of mango and habenaros is nice at first but beyond my first sip, this beer is far too much. Flavors build and build and build and become overwhelming, i like spicy foods, but heat isn't supposed to be this much of a player in a beer. splitting this amongst two people would be tough, only got through a qauter of the bottle before drain pouring. Every sip got worse and worse and as the beer warmed up it just started to taste like mango habanero vodka, overpowering in a bad way. Too sweet and too spicy at the same time. Cloying, and painful. I think people are trying to find the good in this beer because it has founders written on the label but this beers a giant dud and a giant waste of money.

1.53/5  rDev -57.9%

750ml bottle poured into a Founders Brewing Company snifter.

The beer pours a rich apricot color, fairly clear with just a slight haze with a soft, fluffy, white head that has decent retention and leaves a nice amount of soapy lace behind. The aroma is brutal, tons of habenero spice, vegetal onion, earthy bitterness with almost no mango fruit to speak of. There is no sweetness to balance the beer at all, just pure, abusive heat. The taste is no different, punishing heat and vegetal habanero flavor, onions, grassy earthiness that is lightly bitter with no trace of alcohol or mango or even any malt profile to help counter the spice. The mouthfeel is shockingly juicy and coats the mouth very well, which really just scalds with beyond reason by the spice, and it does have a nice creamy feel at the finish and it goes down easily, which I can only suspect is an intended.

Verdict: Harsh, brutal, punishing, unforgiving and just awful. I applaud the idea from Founders, but like many spicy beers, this has no balance, no complexity and no nuances. Easily one of the worst concoctions I've tried to date. I'll just go back to waiting for their Harvest Ale and Breakfast Stout.

1.55/5  rDev -57.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

I love everything from Founders. At least I did until I tried this. Interesting concept but poor execution. I didn't mind the heat it was the off taste and horrible mouthfeel that bugged me. Left my mouth feeling sticky. Heat felt artificial not warming. Worst beer I have tasted in years. Drain poured half of it.

1.58/5  rDev -56.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Pours a hazy golden amber color with a small off-white head. Head is gone quickly and doesn't leave any lacing.

The aroma is all mango with a touch of spiciness. No complexity whatsoever and it smells like a fruit smoothie with pepper flakes.

The flavor is an abomination. Finishing this beer feels like I'm doing a dare. It's cloyingly sweet with a burst of mango and pineapple juice, then comes the peppery spiciness that feels like someone poured Tabasco sauce into my juice box at recess. This is a prank. An awful prank.

The feel is thick and sticky and I honestly think I'm drinking corn syrup. I need milk after drinking this. But also something salty and bitter. I need salty milk. Wait....

Overall, this is an awful, awful beer. It's sickeningly sweet like a mango cough drop but it also has that annoying, lingering spiciness. I feel like I ate mangos dipped in sugar and then vomited into my mouth and swallowed.

1.69/5  rDev -53.4%

This is the sickly sweetest beer that I have ever tried. I have no problems with fruit or peppers added to beer, but this was like drinking Boone's Farm. After pouring a half down the drain the first day, I tried it again the next and the poured out the bottle.

More of a wine cooler than a beer.

1.71/5  rDev -52.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

There's something about the burn you feel with this beer that makes you not want to finish the bottle. Founders has a great lineup of beer but this one just seems gimmicky and the taste is not enjoyable. The sweetness of the mango could be nice on its own but the habanero is a spoiler. Save your money and buy something else you already know you will enjoy.

1.79/5  rDev -50.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

I was really excited about this beer, as I love citrus/fruit, but this was honestly undrinkable. The smell was so sweet, but I was still interested. But the taste/texture.... it could have been mistaken for cough syrup. It was so thick and falsely sweet. Really, Really disappointed. I had it on draught, for $8, and had to leave the glass on the bar.

1.88/5  rDev -48.2%

This beer is straight up awful. Sweet mango cough syrup. Cloying. Disgusting. Thick and syrupy. This was a drainpour for both my girlfriend and I, and she likes sweet beers. If I was made to choose to drink this or PBR for the rest of my life, it would most certainly choose PBR.

1.89/5  rDev -47.9%

I'm not sure why this rates so high. Friend of mine and I both agree that it tastes like cough medicine with a little heat. Worst beer from Founders I've ever had. I actually would rather have a glass of NyQuil at least I'd prevent a cold.

1.96/5  rDev -46%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Wow! Where do I begin? Poured from bomber into pint glass. Cloudy orange color with moderate carbonation and about a one finger head. Fruity mango notes are evident and cover any other scents. The first sip was SWEET, like a syrup and just as you rebound from that, the habanero pepper kick in on the backside. Quite honestly the pepper cancels the sweet - there was (in my opinion) no balance here.
Could not finish this one. My first disappointment from Founders!

look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Not too sure what happened with this one. I missed it last time, but scored 3 bottles at a local Costco. I forced one down and gave the others away.
Pour: Looked good, cloudy and orange.
Smell : Sweet, a little hot spice present.
Taste : This is where it went South. Others described it like syrup, I agree but more like a cough medicine syrup. I kept sipping, waiting, sipping, hoping something better was going to happen, but it didn't. The pepper was there but not enough to hide the syrup taste. Not sure why this one came back for another round. Count is a loss and move on.

2.06/5  rDev -43.3%

Clear amber with a large, beige, car wash foam head.

Sweet fruity aroma of mango, nearing artificial, with apple cider and bubblegum.

Taste is sickly sweet. Cough syrup. Mango candy, with some weak heat on the back end, which is fine as I'm afraid anything more might actually make this worse, and I like spicy things. There is a hint of Kelloggs Eggo in the finish, which doesn't do it any favors.

Feel is slick, and syrupy, without any carbonation to speak of, like a short pour cocktail overly dosed with simple syrup. Mango Magnifico is not drinkable, at all. Between two people, we poured 3/4 of this into a cake batter for shits and giggles, and that was after we thought we had drank a lot of it. Seriously, wtf were they thinking?! This is a disgrace to the otherwise stellar Backstage label.

2.12/5  rDev -41.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer leaves a burning feeling in the back of your throat. I'm not a fan but it is a different beer and interesting concept. The color is a golden brown and pretty. The smell has a hint of habanero but mostly mango so it smells great. Great first taste but leaves a lasting burning feeling in your throat for quite a while.

2.16/5  rDev -40.5%

Bottle (2013)

Thanks for opening this with me, cbanker!

Here's something new from Founders: a beer without any redeeming qualities. First and foremost, this is an incredibly sweet beer. The main flavor profile is of intense, sugary, sweet mango juice. Lacks any bitterness or complexity. Juiciness is usually a thing I like in an IPA, but only when that flavor comes from hops. This is a somewhat-still, slick, mango juice flavor. It lacks much chile flavor, but instead the chile presents in the throat and on the lingering finish. Significant heat that lingers on and on. I'd like to taste the pepper, not just feel it for minutes on end after the swallow. A terrible idea. A terrible beer. This is when American experimental beer goes wrong. Sometimes, too much creativity and poetic license is an awful thing. Here, we have a hilariously bad beer.

2.23/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Ambitious clusters of bubbles rise through the syrupy, perfectly clear orange body to form a coarse white head that fades to petri dish-circles and a ring. Smell is overly sweet dried fruit mix; mango, peach, pineapple, sawdust. Chemical fruit concentrate is more accurate. The flavor takes a dive even from this lowly loft. The first note is chalk, followed by tasty, if overly sweet, mango jam. The intermediate stage consists of more chalk, a very unpleasant medicinal cough syrup flavor, and faint ethanol. Habanero spice starts the late palate, finishing up with chalk and dirt. Body is sticky and syrupy, fine carbonation.
Getting lit is the only positive to this beer. Yet even 10% seems merely atmospheric when framed by the side effects; chalkiness, bitter medicine, outright alcohol, all barely mitigated by tropical fruit and well-paired heat, all of which was recklessly applied. Sometimes crazy visions turn into masterpieces, sometimes crazy visions turn into ridiculous and horribly flawed disasterpieces.

2.28/5  rDev -37.2%

popped this one and shared it with the mrs into 2 founders snifters a cbs and a regular. brew poured a soft semi transparent yellow with a thin head with a boozy shine to it. the head was gone quick but left a skin of bubbles on the surface. nose is like mango juice with a hint of heat...not alcohol heat, but heat heat. taste is again mango juice...pretty gross and not really beer like...then the pepper hits you and all of a sudden your mouth gets hot. i am not a big spicey food guy so this wasn't all that appealing. the heat made my wife nervous and she wasn't a fan of that either. all in all, kind of like a wheatwine with the sweetness from the mango, but then there is that mango that is just a bit too much to work with a beer...if that wasn't enough, the spicy heat on the palate is also rather off putting. i suppose i can see some people liking this, but this one really is not for me. i couldn't get through my pour.

sorry founders, this one is for the drain...both my wife and i were not fans.

2.29/5  rDev -36.9%

Bottle from an awesome trader. Thanks man! Pours a light orange, clear, with one finger white head. Aroma is stale mangos, wheaty smelling malt, bit of a lagery smell. Flavor is improved over aroma. Fresh mango up front with serious heat as it hits the throat. Again with a hint of lagery tasting yeast, a bit dirty. Low carbonation but with a prickle, and a slow sipper. Glad to try this but not a huge fan. Too much spice. This is kinda gross. *Sad face*, but it is what it is. I have enjoyed all of the other Backstage editions and happy to see Founders try new things.

2.3/5  rDev -36.6%

Cloyingly sweet. The mango fruit comes across as artificial, leaving the impression of cough syrup. The habanero is the Saving Grace of this beer, with a subtle heat at the finish that is nice, but not quite assertive enough to really redeem this beer.

The 10℅ abv is well hidden, but at the cost of creating a beer that is one part Robitussin, one part college cocktail. A great idea gone horribly wrong.

2.36/5  rDev -35%

Very disappointing beer for me. I did not finish my half of the bomber nor did my wife. To me, this was way too sweet. I enjoyed the little bit of heat, but it did not even come close to offsetting the sweetness. I typically love Founders beers, so I was very surprised to be this disappointed. If you are looking for an extremely sweet beer with a little bit of heat, this is your beer. Be forewarned about how sweet it is.

2.43/5  rDev -33.1%

Pours a bright golden color. Little head nor lace.
Sweet malt, generic fruit and musty yeast in the aroma.
In the taste, mango and small hop, with a pepper heat that most certainly builds through the experience. Sweet, hot, boozey, but balanced in its ways. Indigestion in a bottle. Experiments don't always work, as this became tiresome to drink. But make no mistake, it's an extreme beer.

2.43/5  rDev -33.1%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a tulip.

Pours a deep golden color with a white frothy head that dissipates to a lacy ring around the glass. The smell is a bready, sticky sweetness with hints of apricots and apple juice. The taste starts with a sort of nondescript sweetness, maybe it is mango, but it is not really strong enough to tell. It finishes with a rather powerful and swift chili punch. It's not just hot though. The habanero fruitiness is there. This beer is kind of syrupy thick.

I struggled through a half of a glass or so, hoping that it might get a little better, but it never really did. The rest went down the drain.

2.43/5  rDev -33.1%

Founder's and their obsession with sugar like beers continues with Mango Magnifico. A super sugary malt forward beverage with a "hint" of Habanero at the end.

I'll just leave out the details and be to the point. The pour has some head but it lasts about 3 seconds, leaving a golden/amber beer, pretty static looking, thick, high alcohol, you can tell this is a 10% sugar beer. Reminds me a bit of a fresher english barely win in color and body. Less floaters which is always a disappointment in this style beer but expected from a company like founders.

The nose is mangos and sugar and there might be a hint of spices but they are way back there. It's fruity and sugary as hell.

As expected a sweat as hell beer with a burn at the back of the throat. I think "hint" was comically under done here. My throat as a burn at each drink. Not it isn't unpleasant per say and I'm not a huge fan of heat so I'm perhaps on the sensitive side, but this is a bit more than a hint. It's good solid dash and very noticeable. if you like spice I'm not sure this is going to get you to a happy place, but if you don't, be aware it isn't lacking a kick. Honestly, there's not much going on here otherwise. I can't taste much after the heat turns on. The opening is pretty boring.

The beer is more drinkable than perhaps expected on a body/mouth feel stand point.

So I'm not sure who this beer is for. If you like mango flavor and some spice this might be for you. If you are ok with either but not a fan per say I'd avoid. This is a pass for me going forward. It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. The spice works as a nice balance in a way, but net net this is going to be a beer enjoyed by a very specific group of people. Most are going to be indifferent or dislike it.

2.51/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Fizzy, clear, effervescent pour. Subdued champagne qualities.
Musty aroma, amateur. Not sure I’m gonna like this. But mind is open. Founders is a great brewery, right? I love habanero! but no aroma whatsoever...
Sweet, right off. Too sweet. Gaggingly sweet. No mango. No habanero. Just sweet. Wheatwine? Whatever the hell that is supposed to be? The Bruery uses it too, but it isn’t this sweet. Huge-assed bottle, imagine I’ll be drain-pouring some of it at some point. Disappointed. Was excited when the guy pulled it out for me (it doesn’t sell here in California and I was excited to try it) but very disappointed now and wondering if I ought bring the half-drunk bottle back to him….
overall... pathetic. 10%. whatever. so is fourloco.... I think. not happy with this one.

Founders Mango Magnifico from Founders Brewing Company