Founders Mango Magnifico | Founders Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Jason on 07-19-2013

Reviews: 283 | Ratings: 1,497
3.43/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours - Orange cloudy color with thick white bubbly head that very quickly dissipates. As I drink it there is a syrup looking film on the inside of the glass. No lacing at all.

Smell - I am getting some sweet fermented fruit some alcohol some coriander or cinnamon. Not getting much heat from the smell just really sweet.

Taste - The first thing I taste is syrupy fermented fruit the mango definitely stands out. the heat from the peppers comes in after and does stay for a bit but its not overpowering. The taste is just way too sweet.

Feel - Medium body getting the heat from the peppers it is so sweet it gives a little bad after taste.

Overall - I loved the idea of what they were trying to do it is just too syrup like and sweet.

2.8/5  rDev -22.9%

Loved the idea, but have mixed feelings about the beer.

Pours a thick, oily, orange color with little to no head retention at all.

It's aroma was very sweet with subtle fruit notes. Not much else to remark of it's aroma, it smells quite mild.

At first sip, it's blissful flavor grabbed my attention and perked my eyebrows. Lots of mango, some orange, some malt in the background, and finishes with just a touch of heat. About half-way through the 12oz pour of this from the brewery, the mango begins to dominate everything. You wonder after a moment if you're drinking pure mango puree with a drop of capsaicin extract in it.

It's not just sweet, it's insanely syrupy. The mouthfeel reminds me of heavy syrup, think a can of fruit cocktail, if you removed the fruit, that syrup that is left in the can? Now give it a strong mango flavor, and make it alcoholic. It surely could use more heat. And it would be nice if this reminded me more of beer and less of mead or alcoholic syrup.

1.15/5  rDev -68.3%

I'm thankful the bomber was only about $11 and that I intended to share it with a couple of friends. I wouldn't have wanted to take this journey solo and would have hated myself if I'd paid anymore than I did.

I'd heard how divisive this beer is but I wasn't deterred as spicy mango is up my lane. I love mango with Tapatio sauce. I love dried mango with salt and chile. Founder's seemed to be shooting for this and there were glimpses of it on the finish, but damn if I didn't have to plow through baby diaper and cotton candy to get to that spicy mango. Damn if the nose and flavor didn't almost cause some retching with that baby diaper funk. What the funk is this aroma and flavor doing in my beer?

I'd love to see someone capture mango and chile in a beer. Founder's captured more Gerber's from the butt unfortunately.

2.3/5  rDev -36.6%

Cloyingly sweet. The mango fruit comes across as artificial, leaving the impression of cough syrup. The habanero is the Saving Grace of this beer, with a subtle heat at the finish that is nice, but not quite assertive enough to really redeem this beer.

The 10℅ abv is well hidden, but at the cost of creating a beer that is one part Robitussin, one part college cocktail. A great idea gone horribly wrong.

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

reviewing this one after the fact. the general idea was that i loved everything about it except for that it was super cloyingly sweet. fantastic balance of hops, mango and habanero... but, after the first sip, you know it will be a tough glass to finish because of how syrupy sweet it is. if the sweetness could be greatly cut down, this would be a fantastic brew.

3.79/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

$11 bomber poured into an oversized Perfect Pint glass.

This beer has the most unusual head I've ever seen on a beer -- seriously the definition of soapy. Huge transparent bubbles that don't look beer-y at all. The color is a clear burnt orange, and there appears to be a lot of carbonation. I like the color, but damn, that head looks strange. The smell is sweet mango and malts. Very sweet. Almost cloying on the nose. Not a ton going on outside of the mango and malts, but it's certainly nice.

The taste is where I'm feeling a bit... well...bummed. On one hand I think Founders nailed what they were going for in this beer, but on the other -- the one with the beer in it -- I find it to be too sweet. The huge mango flavor is over-ridden only by the strong, strong sweetness. The heat on the end is just about perfect, though I can see why many could find it too hot. Considering the sweetness, I think it couldn't be a better amount of warmth.

The flavor is all-around perfumey mango and sweet -- presumably -- crystal and caramel malts, with only a modest peppery flavor. I think roasting the habaneros before putting them in this beer would make for a more interesting and balanced brew, but I could be wrong.

This is a beer that I think absolutely needs to be split. You can try going through a bomber yourself (like I am), but you may very well regret that decision half way through, since the sweetness pretty quickly becomes excessive. This is a very interesting beer that I certainly enjoy, but I'd prefer a bit of a recipe tweak. A lot of people think the beer's more hot than it is sweet, but I think just the opposite. I definitely appreciate this beer for what it is, but yeah... needs a little work, for me.

Now, if my damn baseball draft would be over already.

3.04/5  rDev -16.3%

Deep gold with bits floating around in it. An off white head fades and leaves little lacing. Smells like mango and habanero along with a malty sweetness. The combination is odd and not exactly enticing. This beer is sickeningly sweet with a syrupy mouthfeel. The taste is mango but is followed by a slight burn. This just isn't an appealing beer. I will steer clear of this in the future.

2.36/5  rDev -35%

Very disappointing beer for me. I did not finish my half of the bomber nor did my wife. To me, this was way too sweet. I enjoyed the little bit of heat, but it did not even come close to offsetting the sweetness. I typically love Founders beers, so I was very surprised to be this disappointed. If you are looking for an extremely sweet beer with a little bit of heat, this is your beer. Be forewarned about how sweet it is.

4.06/5  rDev +11.8%

$11.99 at Beverage co for a 22oz bottle. Pours out to a slightly hazy burnt orange, forming a modest soapy head with OK retention and soapy lacing. Carbonation is moderate brisk, ~2.75-3 carbs or so. The nose opens with fruity peach and apricot, and I actually don't pick up any mango. No hop nose. Clean ferment profile. Mouthfeel is sticky and syrupy with a dense cloying body. The taste open with the peach and mango, and then is followed by a subtle warming heat in the back of the throat with a clear candi syrup, guava/apricot nectar note. No dark fruit notes Bitterness is minimal, very very subtle. No hop flavor, no hot fusels. Cloying, syrupy finish.

Overall, a very rich and sweet beer, so one 22oz bottle is plenty for 2 people. Interesting, and brewed with skill. A beer of this character can easily be showered with flaws, and other than the inherit sticky sweetness intended to compliment the fruit, there are none, so kudos to founders. Definitely worth a try, but I wouldn't buy another bottle.

2.77/5  rDev -23.7%

Taster on tap. Smells like fun fruit. Tastes like horrible perfume overload. Maybe some spice. 2 oz was more than enough. I'm glad I didn't grab a bomber at retail when I saw it a week before. They really push the envelope on these experimental beers at Founders. And often not in a good way (looking at you, Blushing Monk). Please taste before investing.

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Not much carbonation but it gives you a hefty dose of mango and sweetness then the habenero kicks in and does a little number on the back of your throat. Cool to try but probably won't buy again. Up the carb and tone down the sweet and heat a notch or two.

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml bottle - Bottled in 2016:

Pours hazed golden with a thin head that becomes wispy. Spotted lacing sticks.

The smell is of fresh mango, some grain, some habanero.

The taste is of sweet mango and grainy malt. A sharp bite from the habanero gives it a spicy dryness in the finish. Some alcohol shows, but not in a raw way.

It just about hits medium-bodied.

Mango and habanero really stand out. Mango then habanero with some alcohol sums it up.

2.88/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

Ok, I gave this a few chances, as I like the heat, and the play of the heat against the sweet. However, I did decide the sweet was too much up front, such that it never came to be balanced by the very light bitterness I did get. In fact, this barely perceptible sweet countering agent (it could be a vegetal pepper note even) itself is strange.

The pepper heat is maybe a little strong, and it might be worse against a more conventional beer. It does add excitement to the feel that is otherwise fine on its own.

So, a tad syrupy in smell and taste, but thankfully not as much in feel. I guess maybe it wouldn't be as much of a novelty if it were a more moderate fruit and pepper spice beer, but I personally might enjoy it more.

1.89/5  rDev -47.9%

I'm not sure why this rates so high. Friend of mine and I both agree that it tastes like cough medicine with a little heat. Worst beer from Founders I've ever had. I actually would rather have a glass of NyQuil at least I'd prevent a cold.

4.46/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

look: Clear golden, loads of rising bubbles. Fill white head on the pour that mostly recedes but leaves messy lacing.
smell: Wow...i expected mediocre or bad based on all the hate this guy has gotten. Instead a very unique imo sweet, bright tropical fruit nose.
taste: As good as the nose, maybe better with the slight habanero heat in the finish. Not a lot going on...it's a Tropical fruit brew with a pinch of habanero but it's unique and tasty as all hell imo.

3.77/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Description: Light, apple juice color and somewhat cloudy due to fine bits of sediment. Not much in the way of head of lacing. The aroma is strong and sweet. Lots of fruit and I think it was more peach than mango but it's not like I go around smelling a lot of mangoes. Like the the smell, the taste is overwhelmingly sweet and fruity. The habanero is definitely there and noticeable on the finish, with some heat left on the back on the palate and throat. Mouthfeel is smooth with low carbonation and a thick but not quite syrupy consistency.

Suggested food pairing: Vanilla ice cream

If you like this beer then you should also try: Faygo Red Pop

Overall: 3.75 (This beer is good but I would not likely drink it again) This is kind of a wild one and don't really know what other beers I would compare it to; it almost didn't seem like beer. I shared a bomber of it with friends and I don't think I could have finished it on my own. Super sweet - almost too sweet - it's not something I could drink regularly or in large quantities. This would probably function best as a dessert beer in about a 5-6 oz. pour. That being said, the flavors were bold and in your face. The heat wasn't too hot and the balance was nice. Like a lot of Founders beers this one at least pushes the envelope which you have to appreciate.

4.19/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Clear golden beer with a tight head. Smell is sweet and peppery. The taste is perfect for what they are going for, a sweet mango note and a dry heat note of pepper on the finish, some heat but not over the top. The beer itself is a little too boozy sweet and syrupy but the flavor more then makes up for it.

4.33/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at blend. I'll add more commentary when i crack the bottle i have open....but this was excellent. Just the right amount of heat.

4.06/5  rDev +11.8%

This was a really well balanced beer. Lots of sticky sweet mango characteristics. The pepper comes through on the back end and is noticeable in your throat. The spice level is moderate. It is there and noticeable, but not too powerful. I would like to try cooking with this beer.

3.94/5  rDev +8.5%

750 ml bottle, 2016 version

L - Orange, with clarity. 2 fingers of head and some minor lacing on the glass

S - Mangos, Corn syrup

T - Mango heavy, sweet, and subtle warming at the finish

F - Medium body and well carbonated

O - Sweet, heavy on the mango, light on the hot peppers

4.69/5  rDev +29.2%

Strong but surprisingly good mango flavor. Subtle but noticeable jalapeño finish.
My expectations, based on the name and description were low.
This beer is awesome!

3.86/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750 ml bottle, 2016 vintage. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours a hazy golden/orange color with about an inch and a half frothy white head that stuck around a little while with a decent amount of lacing. Aroma is sweet and fruity, it mostly smells like mango, along with some citrus and sugar. I don't pick up any pepper in the aroma, but it does show up in the taste. There's a lot of mango flavor, with the habanero heat lingering around a while. It's spicy but not overpowering. A sugary flavor is there too, it's a fruity, sweet and spicy tasting brew. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's slick and smooth with a moderate amount of carbonation. The 10% ABV is well hidden. I liked this brew, I really can't think of something else I've had recently that's been this fruity and spicy at the same time. It's certainly worth a try at least once, I know I'd like to have this again in the future. $10.99 a bottle.

3.27/5  rDev -9.9%

Lots of soapy, big bubble foam here. The nose is super juicy and inviting. The taste however was medicinal, crazy sweet, and reminded me of taking a hit off of my buddy's flavored vape pen. The mild heat was a nice touch, though. This was just a big letdown for me. Had some high expectations.

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Orange in color, extremely clear. Wispy white head that recedes quickly and leaves no lacing. Nose is relatively subdued, but nice sweet aromas of mango and apricot. Taste is mango with a slight habanero heat on the back on the tongue. Definitely not overpowering. Bit of booziness as well. Body is medium-light with moderate carbonation. Overall, this is a solid fruit beer but not one I'd seek out.

3.94/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This beer pours a clear bright orange with foamy white head that faded slowly. Big aroma of mango and other citrus. Flavor is sweet mango and citrus hops with a mild spice from the pepper. I did not find the spice to be overpowering, and thought it complimented the sweetness from the mango nicely.

Medium bodied, almost syrupy. Overall this was a well-crafted brew. Sweet and spicy and interesting. I wouldn't drinking these all day, but certainly enjoyed the bomber i had.

Founders Mango Magnifico from Founders Brewing Company