Mosaic Promise | Founders Brewing Company

Mosaic PromiseMosaic Promise
Mosaic PromiseMosaic Promise

Founders Brewing Company

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Mosaic Promise showcases two unique ingredients: Mosaic hops and Golden Promise malt. The versatility of the hop’s pleasing aroma and flavor characteristics and the traditional barley’s depth of flavor comprise this clean, rich, golden beer. We can brew complex beers with the best of them, but we recognize that there is also beauty in simplicity.

Added by qcbrewer on 08-22-2013

Ratings: 2,246 |  Reviews: 403
4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

I picked up a six pack of Founders Mosaic Promise a couple days ago for $8.99 at Meijers. I was a fan of the Black IPA that they released last year for Artprize so I made sure to pick up a couple six packs of this years Artprize beer, I like mosaic hops and I'm interested to see how this turns out, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on August 16th 2014. Poured from a shorter 12oz bottle into a Imperial Pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice stained glass window look to it and I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a slightly hazy yellow color that took on more of a golden color when held to the light with just about two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a nice mixture of citrus hops, light tropical fruit, light pine and a nice dank weed like aroma that ties all the aspects together. Up next comes the malts which impart a nice pale malt, sweet malt and light biscuit like aromas that show up nicely in the background. This beer had a good aroma, the Mosaic hops seems to impart a fairly complex hop aroma especially for there being no other types of hops in this brew.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops still being the first to show up and they impart the same hoppy aspects that it did in the aroma, but this time the fruity aspects are toned down a little and the piney aspects seem to stick out a little more. Up next comes the malts which are on the light side and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma and there's just a slight bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness with a nice hoppy aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, the hops weren't as bright as they were in the aroma, but they were still pretty nice.

M- Smooth, fairly clean, crisp, pretty dry on the finish, on the very light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of the style and I thought it was a very nice example of a single malt and single hop IPA, it showed that you don't need a ton of different hops to impart a fairly complex hop profile and sometimes maybe less is more. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, fairly clean, crisp, pretty dry on the finish, not filling at all and the taste does a nice job at holding my attention, I could drink a few of these with no problem and I think it's just about as easy drinking as All Day IPA. What I like the most about this beer how well the hops were showcased, this beer does a great job at showing you what Mosaic hops are all about. What I liked the least about this beer was that hops weren't as bright or as fruity as they were in the aroma, but when it came down to it that wasn't that big of an issue. I would buy this beer again, I already got two six packs and I might grab another one if I see it around. I would recommend this to anyone who likes an easy drinking hoppy beer, I think it's almost on session IPA level. All in all I was happy with this beer and a little impressed, this beer proves that you can make a recipe very simple but still impart a lot of nice flavors and aromas. This beer reminds of of mix between All Day IPA and New Belgiums Accumulation. This isn't my favorite beer from Founders or my favorite IPA, but it is now my favorite single malt single hop IPA. Good job guys, I really like this yearly Artprize series and I can't wait to see what kind of beer you go with for next year, keep up the hard work.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

4.24/5  rDev +4.7%

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

3.82/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a shaker pint glass. Bottled 08/16/2014

A- Pours a light to medium gold with a high degree of clarity. Small half finger of white head that doesn't really stick around.

S- Lots of passion fruit, some pine, maybe a little bit of sweet grapefruit. Light biscuity malt. Usually I get a lot of peach and light blueberry from Mosaic but this is quite different, actually this smells a lot like Lagunitas Sucks to me.

T- Similar to nose but lighter and a tad watery but it's 5.5% so I expected a lighter flavor. Drinks somewhere in the area of a session IPA/APA. Get more of the malt in the flavor.

M- Kinda light, pretty easy drinking while providing a nice hop presence.

O- A bit different than expected, got a different aroma and flavor from the Mosaic here, maybe it's properties change at different boil additions. The best aspect of this beer is it's aroma, it is very bright but you end up wanting it to be more of a regular 7% American IPA when you taste it. While I wasn't expecting it I did enjoy the passion fruit presence in this beer, it reminds me of one of my favorites in Lagunitas Sucks.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

4.24/5  rDev +4.7%

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

Kind of one dimentional but tastey and refreshing. Good beer for after mowing the lawn.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

Ever ate a Pine tree. Apparently some parts are drinkable. Glad it was only $7.50/sixer. Unfortunately, one more to choke down,

Mosaic Promise from Founders Brewing Company